LegacyGT.com

Used 2005 LGT Limited vs. New 2006 WRX TR

Hey guys, I am about to sell my baby (2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege) and move into the subaru world.

I plan on modding the engine with some bolt ons, and getting to stage II eventually.

What are your thoughts on the 2005 LGT Limited vs. a 2006 WRX TR

I understand of course the LGT has many more options and 'luxury' on the inside. What else would I miss, not knowing enough about them? Things I am looking for:

-Ability to open up power (or 'ease' I should say)

-Turbos the same?

-The ride

-Differentials different?

-Handling (LGT looks like it would not be as nimble)

-Others

My buddy's uncle is a GM for a huge Subaru dealership in Michigan (Delta Subaru). My guess is I could get a deal on a new 06 WRX TR (which would be in my price range). There is also an LGT Limited for sale on this forum in MD, which is $20,500 for a 2005 with 20k miles. That seems like a good deal to me.... but then there is the whole aregument used vs. new. Your thoughts on that as well please....

I know this officially is a Legacy forum, but honest opinions regarding this topic would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Well it isn't just new vs. used, its used LGT vs. new WRX TR. Looks like you are driving a MS Protege right now...I think the WRX will feel a lot more powerful, and retain the form factor of what you are currently driving. If you want a more refined feel, go for the LGT with its leather seats and room for 4 (comfortably). When it comes down to LGT vs. WRX...I think it really depends on how you are going to use your car. I was considering the STi, but there is no way I would be able to carry anything but myself in the car, so I chose the LGT.

What is a WRX "TR" ?

It is "tuner ready"

i.e. bare: no spoiler, no option for sunroof, and a few other things.

Subaru is hitting a certain market with this one. And its a large market if you ask me.

thanks for the comments. I will drive both for sure, but still wanted som specs that the dealer might be clueless about. Turbos, differentials, etc etc. If I am not mistaken, the LGT Limited has a center AND rear diff. Is this true?

I am an engineer so I nit pick this stuff. Plus the size of turbo makes a big difference with tuning.

The 06 WRX has larger injectors (550 maybe?) I know, which I guess are going to be about the same for the LGT.

They both have center and limited slip rear differentials. The turbos, intake manifold, intercooler, injectors are different as well as the final drive ratio which is lower on the WRX.

Cobb was able to pull out 237whp/285wtq on a Stage II Legacy and 224whp/271wtq on a Stage II 2006 WRX so looks like Legacy has the slight edge out of the box, but then again the WRX weighs less.

Sounds to me if you are considering an optionless WRX for tuner purposes that this is the car you should get.

It will be slightly faster than the LGT, and they handle much better. Not to mention it will be a new car, unlike the Legacy you are considering.

The Legacy is a completely different type of vehicle--loaded with options and less of an attention getter, too.

Sounds to me if you are considering an optionless WRX for tuner purposes that this is the car you should get.

It will be slightly faster than the LGT, and they handle much better. Not to mention it will be a new car, unlike the Legacy you are considering.

The Legacy is a completely different type of vehicle--loaded with options and less of an attention getter, too.

I am only choosing optionless for price. I like options, one thing I miss with my mazdaspeed protege and think I would really enjoy in the LGT.

Are the WRS's quicker than the LGT? It seems the LGT numbers were higher (at least at stage II). I guess that does not translate into "faster"

the WRX might have shorter gearing and be a bit lighter, but unsure of stock quickness - both are certainly 13 sec cars. The aftermarket is 10 times deeper on the WRX vs. the LGT, so it depends on how much you want to mod too.

I disagree about the WRX handling better - coming from an '03 WRX wagon to '05 LGT wagon, there's no comparison. The LGT was better even in stock form.

I do like the ideal of a 2.5L WRX wagon with premium pkg though.....less worred about thrashing it on gravel.

They both have center and limited slip rear differentials. The turbos, intake manifold, intercooler, injectors are different as well as the final drive ratio which is lower on the WRX.

Cobb was able to pull out 237whp/285wtq on a Stage II Legacy and 224whp/271wtq on a Stage II 2006 WRX so looks like Legacy has the slight edge out of the box, but then again the WRX weighs less.

Great informative post....

Thank you.

Also, I forgot about the % rates on new vs. used cars. That would make a large difference over time.

the WRX might have shorter gearing and be a bit lighter, but unsure of stock quickness - both are certainly 13 sec cars. The aftermarket is 10 times deeper on the WRX vs. the LGT, so it depends on how much you want to mod too.

I disagree about the WRX handling better - coming from an '03 WRX wagon to '05 LGT wagon, there's no comparison. The LGT was better even in stock form.

I do like the ideal of a 2.5L WRX wagon with premium pkg though.....less worred about thrashing it on gravel.

Coming from an 02 WRX handling wise the LGT kicks its ass to the side if you set it up right. Much more predictable, more balanced, and the limits are higher modded vs modded. The only advantage the WRX has is size and wheelbase. On a tight AutoX course the WRX would probably have an advantage. On a track it goes to the LGT.

The stock suspension on the LGT is too soft and rolls alot more than the WRX. This accounts for the perceived diffrence. I guess if you keep it stock the advantage would be to the WRX. But mod vs mod the LGT has better suspension geometry.

-Ability to open up power (or 'ease' I should say)

-Turbos the same?

The LGT turbo is larger. If you are going basic stg 1&2 the LGT will make more power. If you want to swap out turbos the WRX is better because there are more turbo options.

-The ride

LGT on stock suspension hands down.

-Differentials different?

The same...

-Handling (LGT looks like it would not be as nimble)

See above.

Thanks for everything guys. If the Legacy was a little 'sportier' on the outside I think my decision would be made. I think the only reason I am second guessing my first choice of the LGT is the outside can be blah... especially the back end. Of course a WRX with more options would be what I am looking for... so the decision will be tough. If the WRX Limited package was cheaper I guess that is the best option. Even with a lower loan percentage, payments would still be higher. The used LGT is only $20,500 remember.... hard to beat.

Thanks again. I am still looking into both.

New vs. used aside, the LGT is a much better car for every reason. The problem is...new vs. used. This throws a wrench in things. I personally cannot stand the new front end on the Impreza and I hate wingless Imprezas. I own an STi and it it LEAGUES ahead of the WRX in every way.

Tough choice, as I've not bought a used vehicle but once in my life. Good luck, the LGT is a better car though. It just depends on how it was treated.

the WRX TR is a cheap version of the "regular" wrx. The seats are from the 2.5i impreza and the radio is a single din unit. The side view mirrors are not painted and it doesnt have the auto climate control. The turbo is a td05 or was it a 6 i fergot. The Lgt is the vf40. I sit in TRs everyday at work and I'll tell you it feels like a Rent A Car. Sit in the LGT and theres no comparison. On the skid pad the lgt gets a higher rating then the TR. Every TR that I get at work from SOA has a wing on it. SOA just sends them to us like that.

I would seriously consider the LGT for a couple reasons. 1 cheaper insurance 2 Sleeper. Im a little older now, i dont really like to get hit up all the time by ricers like i did in my WRX. My lgt wagon is only 4lbs heavier then an 06 sti. Theres nothing like the facial expression of someone you smoke especially when its by a wagon ( I dont condone racing of any sorts ).

Have fun and remember

THINK. FEEL. DRIVE.

Good thoughts.

Yea I pretty much ruled out the TR once I read everything about it. The LGT seems to the the way to go. Forum member plunk10 is the one selling the LGT with ~20k miles. Needs to pay the loan off I guess... bought the car new in September 04 when the sticker was $29k I guess. He is asking $20,500 now. Go check it out in the FS section and let me know what you think! I really like the blue with the tan leather, great looking car. If my car finally gets sold this weekend I think I might seriously consider it.

I assume you'll get MT? You might want to consider that too as Legacy's manual transmission is kinda suck compared to WRX...

:confused: it sucks compared to the WRX?? :lol: How so?? It's the same basic box, with different final drive and different characters. The auto in the LGT > WRX however.

Well for hell of it, here is what might be sold in 2 days. Someone from Delaware is driving to Ohio to "look at it". I have a feeling they will be taking it home.

It took me forever and a lot of $$$ to get my mazda where it is at. The ECU is incredibly tough to conquer, along with doing your best not to snap a rod...

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7889/dscn0758medium1lx.jpg

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3831/dscn0761medium7ue.jpg

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7934/dscn0763medium1vp.jpg

Yes the rims are photo shop, just dont have a good pic with them on....

http://www.msprotege.com/members/PHRiSCo/Caso_MSP.jpg

Hey,

I traded in my 2003.5 MSP for an 05 leggy! best trade I ever made!!!

If you have any questions on trade in values for the MSP let me know!!

cool! I am selling it privatly for $14,500. That is a steal for everything that is on it... the list is seriously tooo long.

I see you are stutterless, are you running the Coob AP? Custom tune?

cool! I am selling it privatly for $14,500. That is a steal for everything that is on it... the list is seriously tooo long.

I see you are stutterless, are you running the Coob AP? Custom tune?

nope!

just lucky

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Archived