LegacyGT.com

Automatic Climate Control mod

riverrat

(Cross posted from stickied ACC thread above, for greater visibility.)

I just read about this mod to the ACC system on Foresters that is alledged to greatly improve its performance, by improving airflow across the sensor that measures cabin temperature.

Those who have installed it say it reduces the tendency of the system to overcompensate- too hot, then too cold, then back to too hot, etc. Aside from the non-intuitive interface issues, I have noticed that the system does have a hard time maintaining an even temperature.

I would be very curious to know if the mod is as straightforward to install in an Outback or Legacy as it is in a Forester:

http://www.geocities.com/samiam_68/S...CS/SSC_Fix.htm

i've never taken that part of the dash apart and I knew that they were using soem kind of venturi to get air to the sensor. I woulda gotten around to doing something like this, eventually. My idea is even simpler. Take a piece of vaccum tube and run it from the suck side of the fan to in front of the sensor. No parts to fail.

Ok, i'm gonna go measure out some tubing. The kit, which consists of xx feet of vaccum tube and some electrical tape (duct tape stands out too much) will be about $65. PM me for sales.

(if anyone actually PM's me asking about buying this from me...I deserve to keep your money)

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I directed the person offering this mod to this thread. He provided this feedback, which was pretty gracious considering the smartass tone of your responses:

"It's an interesting approach, but I don't think it

will be any more effective than the venturi that's

already in place. First, the "suck" side of the fan

also draws a great volume of cabin air, therefore,

hooking up a small vacuum hose to it will not produce

much of an airflow across the temp sensor due to the

big difference between a tiny vacuum hose and a big

air intake. Think of an engine running at full

throttle - there's almost no vacuum. Second, as the

fan speed drops, the volume of air pulled will

decrease even further. Again, this may or may not

improve the ACC on the Outback.

As far as the price comments, I agree that $70 seems a

bit high, but it takes about $20 in parts, $5 in

shipping, about $3 in Paypal fees (for credit cards),

an hour to build this thing, and extra time to shop

for parts, pack it up, and take it to the post office

to ship. So, I'm not quitting my day job just yet ;)"

I'm not feeling so bad about my manual dial controls in the 2.5i Outback now! :)

If it wasnt going to be a nightmare i would swap to manual controls in a minute

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

• 4 weeks later...
It is a great idea but it won't work on a Legacy. The temp sensor is in a different location and there is no way to draw air through it. The sensor is on the dash near your right knee when driving. I wanted to do this but took the part out and saw the bad news :(

Huh? The design is identical.

I just finished this mod on my car. We'll see if it makes a difference. I'll let you know in a few days.

Unfortunately, I dont have a camera. But the pictures of the forester mod pretty much cover it. I used 5/8" clear tubing from home depot instead of trying to pry loose the stock tubing. Otherwise some zip ties and splicing it to the radio power and I was done in about an hour. Hoping it was worth my time.

• 7 years later...

I know it's a fix but for me it isn't really a fix.

In ford focus if I set up a temperature climate control works perfectly.

Here in legacy it is either too cold or either too hot, I would like to fix it so that it would work properly. Auto climate control is to work automatically and I'm dissapointed about it in this car.

Archived