LegacyGT.com

Brakes on '05 GT

jnd121

Does anyone else think the brakes are really hard on the 05 GT? I gotta jam on them to stop quickly! Also, there is no room for my foot, it hits the top dashboard cover thingy, but I saw that mentioned in other threads.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the brakes are not that bad (not great though), but i think you are refering to the pedal feel. it is not as sensitive as in other 'overboosted' cars and it requires more effort and pedal travel to apply.

i agree with lack of room over the brake pedal. it depends on the shoe type, but i too sometimes get my toe hung up on the plastic trim. it is not possible to fix that with seat adjustment. it depends on your foot position and your shoe size.

The brakes should be better for a car with such sporting aspirations. from what I read, a set of stainless flex lines and upgraded pads makes a world of difference.

as far as the room in the footwell, if your foot gets caught on the plastic trim down there, remove it. I wear a size 12 doc marten , and removed the trim first week. haven't caught my foot since.

I have big feet and my wife wears ARMY boots...(that sounded kinda funny) Anyway, the very first mod after disabling the DRL's was ripping that dang underdash cover out. There's no other way around it.

And yeah, the stock brakes suck. The faster we make the car, the scarier it is when it comes time to slow down. The brakes barely are a match for the stock power yet alone Stage 2.

I think the Legacy GT brakes are great. They are easy to modulate and the pedal is fairly firm. If they don't seem to be responding, just push harder. If you're still not getting response, maybe your pads are glazed...?

I've torture tested the Legacy brakes several times and they have stood up very well. The same can't be said of my previous car (2001 Audi S4) which ate up and warped two sets of front rotors before I gave up and got some StopTechs.

The Audi S4 brakes were waaaaay overboosted (one finger on the brake pedal would produce a lurching stop), devoid of feel, super grabby (Audi, for some unknown reason, thought this was GOOD), and the pedal was softer than the clutch. It was nearly impossible to apply the brakes smoothly even when coming to a gentle stop. If driving quickly and striving to achieve Sir Jackie Stewart's undetectable transitions, you could just forget it in that car.

The faster we make the car, the scarier it is when it comes time to slow down. The brakes barely are a match for the stock power yet alone Stage 2.

Personally, I can't imagine going to Stage 2 before upgrading the brakes, but that's just me...

I also had a 2001 S4, which I traded in for my 2006 GT LTD, and while I also had to replace 3 sets of warped rotors (all under warranty thank God), I liked the brake response better than the Legacy. Just seems like you have to push too hard on the pedal to get the desired effect. I've got 5000 miles on the car now and I'm still not used to it. When I bought my Legacy (brand new), I also drove a used 05 that had about 8000 miles on it. The brake feel was totally different. The 05 was very grabby compared to the 06 (the first time I applied the brakes I almost gave myself wiplash). Something in the middle would be perfect.

Just get some performance pads. tHe eNd

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I personally think the bare minimum one should do before going to Stage 2 is performance pads, stainless steel lines, and for any kind of track applications, high-temperature fluid. For me, I'm not even sure that is enough. I used high-performance street/track pads on my A4, and I know how much of a difference they make. I don't think it's enough for the extra power of a Stage 2 package. Again, it's a matter of opinion, though.

Maybe the brakes are glazed to some degree or weren't bedded in properly when new. I remember the '05 I test drove and how bad I thought the brakes felt.....the amount of effort required was way too much for the measly stopping power. When I got my '06, the first thing I did (with only 11 miles on the odo) was to go out and bed the brakes properly. My car stops much nicer than the tester I drove. It's still by no means the best feeling brakes system out there, requiring heavy pressure to stop hard, but it's at least acceptable.

I have no way to verify it was due to proper bedding in, but it's about the only explanation I can come up with (unless there was a change between the '05 and '06 models). I doubt someone at the dealership would bother to bed brakes on their test drive car.

Maybe you want to try and rebed them to see if it helps. Otherwise there's plenty on this site to direct you on things to change to increase brake power and feel to your liking.

+1

I have had no problems with my brakes as well. They are so much better than my brakes I had on my integra. I have only had one opportunity to autocross the lgt and I felt like the brakes held their own. If you're really not happy with them get new pads, stainless lines, and better brake fluid...if you're still not happy spend the 1-2k on a brake upgrade. (which i prefer not to):)

If so, how do you do it. I contantly hit my toe on the stupid cover, and I'm only a size 10.5. Maybe I didn't search right, but I don't think anyone described the process for removing the cover. My dealership said I was the first person to ever complain about hitting the panel. For some reason I just don't believe that.

brakes are great in the lgt. ive been in some cars that i wanted to pull the ebrake while i hit the normal brake. hmmm it might be the driver. i was on a test drive last nite with this one hispanic chick (had a mexico d.l.) and she accelerated into the turn then slammed on the brakes at the last minute... morral of the story is if you do that type of breaking then of course you might want to upgrade your brakes. but for normal street driving i highly doubt you need an upgrade. you might as well spend your money elseware to make your car faster like ummmmm stickers...

<:)))><

sorry to rant...i just havent understood why people are so disappointed in the brakes.

Try some braking from triple digit speeds, 2-3x should suffice in leaving unevenly deposited material on the rotors. Thereby giving you nice pedal pulsations, aka warped rotors! Good pads should prevent this from occuring 85% of the time. For the other 15%, you need better rotors, or BBK.

I know this, cause I did just that, thinking the LGT's big brakes would handle it. I wound up having them resurfaced, then a short while later it happened again! So rather than just replacing the rotors/pads/lines, it wasn't too far of a leap to pickup used STI Brembo's, which I did. After that I further upgraded the front rotors to 2pc floating units/Ferodo ds2500 pads to match the rear 2pc setup.

With brakes, it is all about how you drive & your conditions. Many heavier cars than the legacy have smaller brakes, that function adequately under normal use. But step up the pace, and you will quickly run out of capacity!

In hindsight, I probably could have upgraded the pads/lines & picked up replacement oem rotors and that would have been enough & less expensive! Do I regret taking the route I did, hell no!

Just got my set of performance pads...

At first, seemed to stop me so fast I was gonna have a heart attack...

Def. better than stock, after bedding in process though, went back to

normal feel kinda sorta...

Looking forward to when my SS lines get here, and pedal travel is reduced,

new fluid is in, and I don't have to press so hard just to friggin stop at

a stop sign (as it was w/ the stock setup)

Archived