LegacyGT.com

Oil pressure gauge install, empty oil galley

Installed my oil pressure gauge this weekend, thanks to this thread. :icon_mrgr

The only thing different I did, was that instead of using adapters to get from the 1/8" bsp thread to an NPT thread, I drilled and tapped the gallery plug to 1/4 NPT, then fitted a hydraulic hose up to the sender which I located across by the battery.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you have a shop local to you that specializes in hardware like that, i'd go there.... they can ensure the proper fittings, adapters, etc to go between the block and your particular sender.

My stainless line ended up costing me ~$12 for a 2 footer, already premade.

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

• 1 month later...
Just some advice for anyone else trying this for the first time...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/yamie700/LegacyGTcom%20stuff/Oil%20pressure%20gauge%20install/Allenplugremoved.jpg

That plug is really far down in there. It doesn't look like it so much in these pictures but trust me it is. It seems that a magnetic pick up tool would be a good thing to have as well since there's not a lot of room in there for a human hand.

One last thing, see that black hose that comes down and goes into this black L shaped thing....that might not be in the same position on your own car. I'm in the middle of this install right now found that line to be directly in the way of the galley. I can rotate it counterclockwise but it's a slight pain.

That plug takes an 8mm allen socket as well.

So I guess there's really no way to do this without removing the intercooler, right? Is there anything in particular I should know about doing so, or putting it back on? I'm a bonfide n00b tinkering in the engine bay.

I've got a prosport oil pressure gauge I want to put in. The sender is 1/8"-27 NPT, and I think it's large enough that I'll have to remote mount it. In terms of hardware, I should be fine with the WRXtra kit, right (even if it is inordinately expensive)?

• 2 weeks later...
So I guess there's really no way to do this without removing the intercooler, right? Is there anything in particular I should know about doing so, or putting it back on? I'm a bonfide n00b tinkering in the engine bay.

I've got a prosport oil pressure gauge I want to put in. The sender is 1/8"-27 NPT, and I think it's large enough that I'll have to remote mount it. In terms of hardware, I should be fine with the WRXtra kit, right (even if it is inordinately expensive)?

Yes you must remove the intercooler to do this but that's really easy.

I'm guessing you should be fine with the WRXtra kit.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
geez, i did mine yesterday and the 07 LGT seems to be little different. its more difficult to mess with. i struggled a litle, but i got it in. for some reason, we have like this little metal piece comin out and making it harder to screw in the plug. i was just doing the oil temp. but still, it was a head ache.

• 1 month later...
Well, sandwich is better if you are installing both temperature and pressure gauges. More room, plus you get temp. sensor right in the oil flow. With the galley when you can use hose to relocate sensors, but then temperature sensor becomes worthless - shows temperature of oil in the "deadend" hose.

• 1 month later...

http://www.wrxtra.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=34

i have been trying for the last few days to order this item from these people. no returned emails, no returned phone calls. is there anywhere else that this can be purchased from? a trusted place if all possible?

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

does anyone definitively know whether putting a 1/8bsp male to 1/8npt female adapter and then an oil temp sensor into an oil galley plug would actually yield an accurate reading? Are any of the galley entry points very close to the actual flowing engine oil, or would this setup indeed just yield an inaccurate reading?

Wondering if anyone has solid information, not looking for speculation.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 6 months later...
bump. I got my autometer phantom series oil pressure gauge in. Worked great until I hit a bounce then stopped working. It's dark out so it will have to wait til tomorrow, but I think the sender is not grounding properly to that bar that it is mounted on. It did not come with a bracket, so we just did zip ties. Anyone have any advice on how to get a better contact with the bar, or a bracket for the sender?

bump. I got my autometer phantom series oil pressure gauge in. Worked great until I hit a bounce then stopped working. It's dark out so it will have to wait til tomorrow, but I think the sender is not grounding properly to that bar that it is mounted on. It did not come with a bracket, so we just did zip ties. Anyone have any advice on how to get a better contact with the bar, or a bracket for the sender?

Are you saying you grounded to the AC hard line? get a line of wire and ground it to the engine block. Lots of bolts in that region.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 1 month later...

sorry to bring this back from the dead, im most likely going to get another glow shift gauge (oil pressure)

it comes with a 1/8th npt male sendor which is 2" tall, do you think i could get away with just unbolting the gallery allen nut and screwing that bad boy in, heres a link to way send comes with the gauge..

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/replacementeliteoilpressuresenderunit.aspx

You will need to also order a M18x1.5 to 1/8npt adapter, such as the one from ProSport. It's possible but hard to say. Very little room there.

and put some teflon tape on the male end of the braided line that gos into the gallery screw yea?

Yeah just put it on the section of threads that actually bite into the adapter. No sense having extra hanging off of the deeper part of the male portion inside the adapter. Small detail. I say why not.

Archived