LegacyGT.com

What style gears are used in a 08 GT 5MT

Posted (edited)

I am looking into a transmission fluid change, and I want to use liqui moly's fluid since from my experience all of their products are amazing. However the only fluid I can find in stock is 75w-90 GL5 hypoid gear oil and GL4/5 hypoid (I'm not sure if the 5MT uses hypoid gears and if it doesn't would this fluid hurt it) or their 75w-90 GL4+ fully synthetic fluid. 

Not fully sure which is best and after some googling I have yet to find my answer so here I am...

Edited by LarryTheCableGuy

Posted (edited)

Their website says nothing and it's not the easiest to contact them. I know a guy at work that is sponsored by them so he may know. As long as their is no friction modifiers it doesn't matter if it's hypoid or not?

Edited by LarryTheCableGuy

I believe GL-5 oils are all hypoid gear oils. You just need a GL-5 within friction modifiers. This is due to the fact that the front differential of the 5MT is inside of the transmission (shares the fluid). The center diff is sealed so it doesn't matter. So we need a gear oil robust enough for the front diff and mild enough to not eat the synchros.

I think LM22090 is good. It says it's not for use in limited slip differentials which means there are no friction modifiers.

If you're not set on Liqui Moly, use Motul gear 300 or Mobil Delvac. Both work well in subaru 5MTs.

• Like 1

I'm pretty much only going use liqui moly in this car. It has 180k miles and in great condition for that age (significantly better than low 100k ones I see on marketplace).

Thanks for the help especially since I haven't seen reports of people using liqui moly in the LGT before.