LegacyGT.com

Goodbye Legacy

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

According to GCBC; more Outbacks were sold in 2023 alone than Legacy's over the last five years combined... basically 6-7:1 every year. There is a market for large sedans, but it's very small.  Hopefully this means an introduction of the Levorg or similar.  Legacy sales are very closely matched with WRX sales, so people who want a large'ish sedan will just move to the WRX.

I read somewhere that in the Canadian market anyway, that only like 4% of all vehicle sales were wagons. Proper mid-size, not hatches.

I forget the exact figure, but I think somewhere around 80% of those wagons sold were Outbacks. At least around me, I see a rare Allroad or Benz wagon, but I must drive past 4-5 Outbacks every day on the 18km drive back home.

It's a bummer, but I suppose all the more reason to keep the one I have in good shape.

Edited by KZJonny

On 4/26/2024 at 8:36 AM, silverton said:

According to GCBC; more Outbacks were sold in 2023 alone than Legacy's over the last five years combined... basically 6-7:1 every year.

According to Subaru of America PR, in calendar year 2023 they sold 161,814 Outbacks vs. just 25,510 Legacys. That's a ratio of 6.3 to 1. The only lines with fewer sales than Legacy were all niche vehicles: WRX (24,681), Solterra (8.872), and BRZ (4,188). The Legacy accounted for barely 4% of Subaru's total U.S. sales for the year.

Subaru_December_2023_Sales_FINAL.pdf

For the first three months of 2024, the numbers were even worse: a whopping 35,213 for Outback vs. 4,398 for Legacy ... a ratio of 8:1. Legacy represented only 2.9% of total U.S. Subaru sales. Only Solterra and BRZ sales were below Legacy' dismal numbers.

Comparing year over year numbers, Subaru's total sales were up 6.7% for the first quarter of 2024, but Legacy sales were down 13.1% ... continuing a grim multi-year trend.

Subaru_March_2024_Sales_FINAL.pdf

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png