LegacyGT.com

My Car Just Died!!

Bretm1

(42,000 miles )Engine ran rough, car was shuddering, cel started flashing. Service dept. at dealer told me to have the car towed in. Apparently "flashing cel" is not advisable to drive under, solid is ok. (don't hold me to that)

I will advise.

(I have no mods except for silencer removal on airbox)

Not happy-glad I was close (12 miles) to dealer and have today off.:icon_frow

This is not my beautiful car.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
did a rat climb into your MAF and ate it?

First thing I did was check airbox, vacuum lines electrical connections etc. Saw no rats-I'm thinkin' it might be the Bridgestone RE 92 A's.:icon_wink

Apparently "flashing cel" is not advisable to drive under, solid is ok. (don't hold me to that)

Yup. OBDII cars all have this "dual-level" CEL (MIL) light - flashing indicates potential harm to the catalyst or engine, while a solid indicates something less serious.

The Saturns I used to work on would flash the CEL for a misfire which stayed over a certain time limit (misfire=unburnt gas in the exhaust=potential Catalytic damage) whereas a shorter misfire would only put the light on solid.

Hopefully it's something simple like a bad plug.

I had a "flashing cel" on my '99 Legacy Brighton and it turned out to be a bad coil. However, I did drive it to the dealer which was about 25 miles from where I was at the time. When I called them they advised me to get the car in asap but didn't insist on having it towed.

Update: First off thanks for y'alls concern. I appreciate it.

Just told that the numbers two and four cylinders had misfired and there was carbon buildup?? (They told me there was a charge to clean it) I run 91-93 all the time and this threw me for a loop. I assume the buildup was on the plugs and am curious if this leads to injector issues as well. They want to keep the car overnight (maybe it will fix itself)and check it in the morning. The coils could also be an issue here. I just hope that these guys err on the side of preventitive maintenence, give me four new plugs and coils (for the bad cylinders)if neccessary. I'll be pissed if I eventually have to return for the same problem

I paid 1200 bucks for a Subaru extended warranty and really do not want to pay jack squat for anything. I told them so. Is that unreasonable?????????

Just told that the numbers two and four cylinders had misfired and there was carbon buildup?? (They told me there was a charge to clean it) I run 91-93 all the time and this threw me for a loop. I assume the buildup was on the plugs and am curious if this leads to injector issues as well. They want to keep the car overnight (maybe it will fix itself)and check it in the morning. The coils could also be an issue here. I just hope that these guys err on the side of preventitive maintenence, give me four new plugs and coils (for the bad cylinders)if neccessary. I'll be pissed if I eventually have to return for the same problem

I paid 1200 bucks for a Subaru extended warranty and really do not want to pay jack squat for anything. I told them so. Is that unreasonable?????????

the carbon cleaning they are talking about is a chemical that they run through the fuel lines/injectors in order to clean out the injectors and to remove some of the carbon build up that in the cylinders. generally is about $110 with parts/labor.

they will either use the chemical or they will just pull the plugs clean them and blow out any carbon thats loose in the cylinders.

the reason they are charging for the clean is because it falls under maintance and isnt covered by warranty.

prepare to be pissed then, because if they are doing the work as warranty work they will only replace what is causing the problem. since all warranty work has to be approved and documented with a either a DTC or a bad/defective part.

depending on what is causing the actual problem is what they will replace, if they replace anything at all. or they might just blame the carbon buildup and ship the car, and if it happens again the they will then replace items.

if i were you i would ask to know what was replaced when you pick up the car and pop the hood right there and check to make sure that they actually replaced the part. funny thing is if they do out of warranty work you can demand the parts that they "replaced" be put in your car or given to you. and they have to do it unless its a major item (engine) where there is a core charge.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

yes, plugs are done at 30k. just had mine done. car went in with a check engine with a flashing cruise. turned out to be a bad #4 injector. they replaced all and engine light went off. next day steady check engine light came back on:icon_evil . Service guy told me it was probably due to the throttle body cleaning and give it a week. Well, it's still on, so the car is going back next week.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

The plugs on the 2.5T and 3.0 engines are replaced every 60K miles according to Subaru, not 30K.

When I was in for my last oil change (synthetic) at this dealer they mentioned the 30k $400.00 checkup. Because the checkup was primarily visual, outside of a pvc valve replace, & differential/tranny fluid change I opted out. I was told that the platinum plugs used were indeed a 60k change.

I replaced the pvc valve myself and will change the diff/tranny fluid when it is warmer here in New England. I will also change the plugs myself at 60k. I usually balk at any "cleaning" services offered whether it is tranny, radiator, engine or fuel injection. These to me are more of a money generating item than anything else and are often used as quasi "scare tactics" in order to get the poor auto owner concerned and to shell out some dough. All of these little services fly in the face of these lower maintenence, better engineered, highly advanced beer cans we are driving around.

I'm tring to be open minded(to my best ability) I was raised in a service dept. and I hate bullshit from ignorant service advisors .

I have no hard feelings for these guys yet. I'l let you know how it pans out.

Spark plugs with 60K? hmmm I thought these were the intervals:

15,000 Mile - Replace Oil, Filter, Crush Washer, Tire Rotation & Inspection of Brakes, clutch, Suspension & steering.

22,500 Mile - Replace Oil, Filter, Crush Washer & Tire Rotation

30,000 Mile - Replace Oil, Filter, Crush Washer, Spark Plugs, Brake Fluid, Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Coolant & Tire Rotation, plus Inspect Drive Belts (including Timing Belt).

Spark plugs are really due at 30K

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Spark plugs are really due at 30K

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

The jury is out folks. I personally think that you should get more than 30K out of platinums-but if they are inspected at 30k and you happen to have four new ones hanging around (or if the dealer is going to inspect them) have them (or you)put four new ones in. You will probably get rid of the car before they need to be changed again.

Just told that the numbers two and four cylinders had misfired and there was carbon buildup?? (They told me there was a charge to clean it) I run 91-93 all the time and this threw me for a loop.

Carbon build-up that is bad enough to stop the engine from running after just 42k miles?!? I don't think so...

The turbo engines do not have platinum plugs. They are iridium, IIRC. For some reason platinum and turbos do not mix. VW/Audi won't allow them on turbocharged engines either.

VW/Audi Iridium spark plugs are due for replacement every 40K miles, they are generally NGK CR9EHIX-9, do we know which ones are ours?

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

The Latest:

Drove car off Dealer lot at noon & it immediately started shuddering and cel flashed. Then the cel shut off??????????? This was after two ignition coils were put in. Service manager did the same thing, poured some fuel cleaner in it and took it out again. The car died on him after shudering with flashing cel. He started car back up with no cel flash or indicator. Bizzaro.

The car is resetting itself.Not normal. He then noticed that I run synthetic oil, informed me that SOA does not reccomend this for turbos, and that in some vehicles it causes an increase of backpressure in the cylinders ultimately causing a mis-fire which will trip the cel. The turbo spins faster (he said) with the synthetic and can cause this to occur.

I am somewhat baffled but they are keeping the car, contacting SOA before they depart for the weekend at 3:00 PM and gave me a loaner.

I must say that although I'm frustrated with the loss of the car, I am happy with how the dealer is acting.

I'll keep advised.

P.S.: This was doneunder the Subaru Extended Care plan I purchased(for 1200.00) and I paid a 100.00 deductible. The car would have been covered (the two coils replaced) under Federal Emission Warranty if the car was under 36,000 miles. If no warranty I would have shelled out about $400.00 for the work done. The ext. warranty will also pay $30.00 per day for a rental.

Archived