LegacyGT.com

My Car Just Died!!

Bretm1

What a load of crap. Synthetic makes the turbo spin faster!?! Yeah right. If the oil meets the API service spec required by Subaru, it is safe to use.

I don't think an OBDII vehicle should be able to have major misfires (blinking MIL, shuddering) and then not have the MIL lit immediately after restarting it. Was the code still stored or was that cleared too? I wonder if the ECU needs to be replaced.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think an OBDII vehicle should be able to have major misfires (blinking MIL, shuddering) and then not have the MIL lit immediately after restarting it. Was the code still stored or was that cleared too? I wonder if the ECU needs to be replaced.

What is unusual is that after the cel blinked and shut itself off is that there was no code stored. If the cel remained blinking then they would get the mis-fire code which originally had them (un-neccesarily) replace the number 2 & 4 cylinder ignition coil. I wouldn't be surprised if ultimately in their evaluation that they replace the ECU. We'll see.

This is not my beautiful car.

i got my dealer to throw in the free maintenance on my car & when i insisted on mobil1 they said it would be extra. however, the service manager told me that i can purchase it anywhere and they will put it in for me. he then said that the wrx/sti's they service w mobil 1 actually run better & it treats the turbo better

P.S.: This was doneunder the Subaru Extended Care plan I purchased(for 1200.00) and I paid a 100.00 deductible. The car would have been covered (the two coils replaced) under Federal Emission Warranty if the car was under 36,000 miles. If no warranty I would have shelled out about $400.00 for the work done. The ext. warranty will also pay $30.00 per day for a rental.

I'm very surprised that the coils are covered under the Emissions warranty and not the powertrain warranty. Looking at my warranty manual I see that there are quite a few items covered under the emissions warranty that I thought would be under the powertrain warranty such as:

Camshaft sprocket assembly, electric coolant fan relays, exhaust manifold, fuel injectors, fuel pump, fuel tank, intercooler, intake manifold, knock sensors, rocker arm and shaft sub-assembly, thermostat, throttle body assembly, transmission control module, turbocharger, and valve lifters to name a few.

That's shocking (to me). I'm sure most people would assume most of these would be covered under the longer powertrain warranty. Very misleading.

At any rate, you're extended warranty has saved you $300 so far plus $30 a day for the rental. That's great but there is still a good chance you won't recover the amount paid for the warranty in the first place.

I've asked the same question about oil with my h-6 and 04 wrx turbo i had.

my dealer recommends regular oil, no synthetic.

the plugs in the 04 wrx were platinum the 05 h-6 has iridiums.

Subaru recommends regular oil because it is the official response and is documented in all operator manuals, tech manuals, etc.

Remember that regular oil has been widely used and has oil change intervals of 5K, 7.5K based on the manufacture. Synthetics have different "blends" that have varying intervals based on the type of oil. Some have 7.5K intervals, 12K, some have blends that can last upto 25K.

Using synthetic oil will cause no problem as long as it meets the API standards (which almost all major brands do) and is changed in a reasonable amount of time/mileage. I use Mobil 1 since the 2nd oil change, change it every 5K, and I have no problems.

If you plan on not keeping you car long or are on a lease, regular oil might the be the way to go (cheaper oil changes).

-S

Update:

Picked my car up yesterday evening. After two ignition coil replacements, they cleaned out the fuel injectors. The dealer had the car since last Friday. Drove it home and this morning started out and car died again. Started back up to have intermittent cel( flash then solid )and now my cruise contol light is on.

Car is back at dealer-now have Outback Loaner.

They check out the timing belt and such?

Not sure. I was searching and I have seen that others have had cruise control lights go on with an "SS" error code relating to one of the EGR valve sensors.

They have been nice at the dealer and I hope to hell that they have the sense to check out whatever they think they need to (including timing belt) . When it rains it pours! My spider senses do not have me feeling too happy right now, but I know that some of the codes these cars give off can lead to a "needle in a haystack" scenario.

My extended (1200) buck warranty I think will be paying for itself, they are not charging me for the loaner & they have been pleasant. Maybe they'll give me that spec b sitting in the showroom if all else fails.:icon_neut

He then noticed that I run synthetic oil, informed me that SOA does not reccomend this for turbos, and that in some vehicles it causes an increase of backpressure in the cylinders ultimately causing a mis-fire which will trip the cel. The turbo spins faster (he said) with the synthetic and can cause this to occur.

I agree that this is a load of crap. I've been using synthetic in my Mazda MX-6 turbo for 16 years and the car still runs as smooth as it did when I bought it new back in '89. I just gave my '06 LGT its first oil change at 1182 miles and put Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 synthetic in it. I used to use Mobil 1 for many years until I recently discovered the Pennzoil.

There are many new cars that come from the factory with synthetic installed, such as new Corvettes, Porsches, Cadillacs and the Mitsubishi EVO which has a turbo engine. I don't see any reason not to use synth in any car unless you want to save money and you don't plan on keeping the car for a long time. I even use synthetic in my '99 Outback with a N/A engine.

- Paul

The car is resetting itself.Not normal. He then noticed that I run synthetic oil, informed me that SOA does not reccomend this for turbos, and that in some vehicles it causes an increase of backpressure in the cylinders ultimately causing a mis-fire which will trip the cel. The turbo spins faster (he said) with the synthetic and can cause this to occur.

BS. I don't remember any mention of preference for synthetic or conventional oil in my owner's manual - only the viscosity. If this guy tries to void any part of your warranty because you're running synthetic, go straight to SOA.

It sounds to me like you may be having some ECU issues. Yours wouldn't be the first 05 Legacy with ECU problems. Although this one is a little different from the issues that others are having.

My money is still on the ECU. It could be a one-cent resistor that failed. It doesn't always take much.

Tomorrow a team of experts will be troubleshooting my car.:icon_conf They will simultaneously be on speaker phone with experts at SOA. I'm betting that the ECU will probably be replaced, if not now, maybe by the eleventh time I bring it back. I have hope.

Tomorrow a team of experts will be troubleshooting my car.:icon_conf They will simultaneously be on speaker phone with experts at SOA. I'm betting that the ECU will probably be replaced, if not now, maybe by the eleventh time I bring it back. I have hope.

If it turns out to be the ECU, I think they should reimburse you for some of the other stuff they replaced, like the coils. It seems they've been guessing at what the problem is, and you're probably paying for things that didn't need replacement.

Update-Still Without car-It is one week on Friday the 6th.

They changed the oil to replace the synthetic (not recommended) oil. They also dropped my tank and checked the fuel sending unit/with filter out and blew it out(this item is recommended for change at 60k) but did not replace. Drove car and it went fine, waited till later in day and took it out to find it chugging again with cel codes for misfiring.

They called SOA and they recommended to check the valves for carbon buildup (without pulling the heads?????????) and to do a chemical engine carbon cleaning. We will see what is next.

U located on Cape Cod? If so, are you dealing with Planet Subaru? (Assuming Buzzards Bay from your location description)

I'm dealing with Atlantic. I'm happy with how they have been so far, they have given me a loaner. I think they are doing the best they can and are probably as frustrated as I am.

And I am in B Bay.

Archived