LegacyGT.com

My Car Just Died!!

Bretm1

Doesn't a state lemon law usually mean that if a car is in for the same repair 3 or 4 times within a certain year that they owe you a fair trade value toward a new one? Me thinks you got a jinxed LGT.

Most state lemon laws (including mass) do not cover the vehicle after 1yr or fifteen thousand miles for the "three strikes your out" to take effect. I purchased the vehicle on Dec. 6, 2004 with 3400 miles on it. When brought in for the first time it was Dec 29, 2005 with 42,000 miles on it. So the lemon law does not apply to me.

Other laws like the Magnuson/Moss Act (federal) will cover products which have warranties on them which keep failing. The resolution will still involve you keeping the vehicle with potential monetary awards versus lemon law which gives you a replacement or full refund. If I did not have the extended subaru gold warranty I would not be able to pursue anything under this Magnuson Act, nor would any of this work be covered.

All of the work done so far does not fall under the 5yr/60k powertrain wnty, it falls under the 3yr/36k federal emissions warranty which has expired due to my mileage.

My extended warranty has been covering everything and the dealer (so far) has provided me with free transportation. Food for thought.

This is not my beautiful car.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Today I called in to see the situation. They had the head off and were replacing the valves on the number 2 and number 4 cylinders, which are what comes up as the cylinders involved when the cel codes come. When the car dies and starts running choppy the code since I brought this car in on December 29, comes up as misfires in cylinder 2 & 4. What scares me is that they said although the valves were a little dirty, (with carbon)they weren't that bad. They also mentioned that the cylinder walls and piston heads look fine.

We'll see what happens after the valves are replaced.

So Far

2 ignition coils

injector & fuel filter cleaning

engine de-carb

new ecu

new valves being put in on 2&4 cylinders....................................................

Did they do a compression and leakdown test on the cylinders? I am guessing that they found low compression?

If not, I would surely do that FIRST... before replacing stuff.

Did they do a compression and leakdown test on the cylinders? I am guessing that they found low compression?

If not, I would surely do that FIRST... before replacing stuff.

The service manager did mention that they checked compression and that it was ok.

This is really discouraging.

Powertrain warranties have lots of exclusions ... they are almost useless. When the timing belt tensioner on my Passat broke (which destroyed the 20-valve head), the dealership refused to cover it. Only because my independent mechanic is friends with one of their service advisors, did they eventually fix it. But the rebuilt engine is nowhere near as smooth as the original, and I had to bring the car back three times. A week later the EVAP pump died. That is why we bought the leggy (without an extended warranty.)

If the Legacy gives us any grief before the 3/36 is over, or a large proportion of people on this forum have major issues, we plan to either buy the extended warranty or trade it in. At this point I am not prepared to spend a few thousand bucks on a longer warranty. I am very eager to see the resolution of this case.

The service manager did mention that they checked compression and that it was ok.

Then why change the valves? If the comp. check is good, that rules out the rings, cylinder, valves, valve seats, and head gasket.

:confused:

New Valves put in today on 2 & 4 cylinders.

I was told they had to pull the engine to do this.

This kind of makes me nauseated.

They said they would drive it later today and tommorow. I should be picking it up sometime saturday.

New Valves put in today on 2 & 4 cylinders.

I was told they had to pull the engine to do this.

This kind of makes me nauseated.

They said they would drive it later today and tommorow. I should be picking it up sometime saturday.

Still in shop. Looks like Monday now.

Bump. It's Tuesday.

Picked up car today. New valves on 2&4 cylinders, they took out the new ECU that they had put in and put back in my old one.(because they said it was not the issue) They replaced all of the fuel injectors.

Drove about 200 miles today and car seemed very smooth. Much smoother than I remember. Throttle response is better and I averaged 23mpg over this trip today. I have never averaged that MPG on this type of trip. After the last engine clean attempt I was only averaging 16-18 until the car died again. Prior to this all the car never averaged more than 21mpg. This was with a mix of aggressive and non-aggressive, highway/city etc. The reason I'm harping on the mileage is that I'm convinced this car was never running as efficiently as it should have. Unusually low mpg figures also can point to a crapload of emmissions, turbo, and engine issues.

The car definitely feels different now.

Lets hope this is it.

Great news, Bret!

Interesting about the MPG, and I agree about better MPGs can point to a generally better running engine. After having my throttle body replaced to fix my stalling problem, which I believe it did, my MPG is about 2mpg better than what I was used to. My throttle response is quite a bit better, making it much easier to drive in traffic. I think the original throttle plate was sticky, which contributed to general non-smoothness. I am thrilled that my car feels better now than it ever did. It probably now drives like it was supposed to, finally, 7.5 months after purchase.

Sounds like your extended warranty paid for itself with this one. Hopefully this was the fix and you're all set. Any idea how much this would of cost if you didn't have the extended warranty? Everything that was done to your car from beggining to end?
- The Mortgage Man

Sounds like your extended warranty paid for itself with this one. Hopefully this was the fix and you're all set. Any idea how much this would of cost if you didn't have the extended warranty? Everything that was done to your car from beggining to end?

Wicked Guestimates feel free to correct:

2 coils-probably 300 plus 2hr (160) labor=460

engine clean-150

new fuel injectors- 200 plus 160 labor=360

8 valves 5-6 hr labor at 400-500 (involved engine removal) plus 300 parts=800

At least 1800-2000 dollars

They provided loaner for about two full weeks for free.

So who has the best deal on extended warranties these days?

Would anyone consider Warranty Direct over a Subaru warranty? I like the idea of being able to take the car to an independent shop. Plus my Subaru dealer is 30+ miles away.

Sorry to hear that melayout...

Archived