LegacyGT.com

Yo gang always something haha, I took off 1 2 3 and when I got into 4th it started to hiccup and backfired and would go and now it runs like crap miss 2/3 and cam sensors code but swapped them still runs crappy vac is good but can't seem to fix it , maybe timing jumped ? Only thing I haven't checked thx

Was the replacement engine from an auto?

Any chance the belt guides at the corners and crank pulley weren't swapped over from the dead engine?

Shift shock can definitely cause the belt to skip a tooth or a few. Hopefully not enough to cause a valve touch. That would explain a misfire + running badly.

Edited by KZJonny
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the input kz. I shimmed the crank pulley guide  and put new T belt kit a week after I dropped it in. It's also an manual and got new timing cover on er.  Will defo check timing and go from there

Are there guards at the corners as well on the new timing cover?

I forget exaclty where but I want to say passenger intake and drivers exhaust cams, but there may be more. If the crank guide is there and shimmed, the belt can still conceivably skip on the cam teeth if you bang-shift it hard enough...

Either way, hope it's something simple.

• Thanks 1

Test (if possible) or replace coolant temp sensor?

If ECU is getting bad coolant temp data, all sorts can go wrong.

General check of wiring + grounds (again) isn’t a bad idea. You would not be the first to have a loose connection post engine install/swap etc…

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah…. That is a big boost spike.

Stock is like 14psi max.

Definitely start with wastegate lines. Consider other failure points.

How big is the exhaust?

I peak at 17psi, and that was lifting my heads and blowing coolant out.

21psi on stock parts is gonna end badly.

No uppipe , catted bellmouth downpipe 3.5 inch I think it's a OBX racing .. Al vac or boost leak, I'ma check flapper and boost control solenoid. If I unplug the BC's will it default to spring pressure

21 minutes ago, LegacyLGT05 said:

No uppipe

?? I assume you maybe mean catless up pipe?

Big exhaust with no restrictions will cause boost spiking or overboost. 2.5" is all you need without a bigger turbo or a 3 port boost controller + tune etc...

Yeah. Unplugging the BC will run on wastegate spring pressure. If you try that you can at least know if the wastegate control is working on springs.

• Thanks 1