LegacyGT.com

Hello All,

so I am having a little issue with the car overheating. 

A few weeks ago I took the ol' girl out around town. Nothing major. On the way back home it overheated and blew coolant all over. 

I was close enough to make it home. The car sat for a few weeks before I was able to see what was going on. I noticed that the top radiator hose had a slash in it. Easily changed that but naturally the problem persists. I'm going to pull the thermostat and replace that next. 

Any advice should that not work?

Thanks!

On 4/5/2024 at 2:51 PM, Dicky said:

Any advice should that not work?

Lots of advice that will not work…. Get a haircut. Get a real job.

Replace all rad hoses +turbo coolant lines + thermostat. If one was so old and rotten that it just burst under normal use, it’s not worth the gamble the others won’t follow along and leave you stranded or warp a head before you can get help, etc….

Probably a very good idea to consider replacing the turbo oil drain hose as well. They see lots of hot oil, and get fairly hard and leaky.

Vacuum hoses, pcv hoses etc… all in order of descending importance. Most likely anything under the hood that is rubber should be replaced for a 05MY car.

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 1

Hey, not to hog this chat but I have seen a few guys put these small air filters on both sides on the engine. Usually you have 2 pipes going in on either side but they have a single pipe with the small air filter replacing the other pipe. Why do they do this?

It’s a cheap way to provide venting for the crank case.

It’s done instead of fixing the PCV system which directs oil vapours into the intake to be burned instead of venting them to atmosphere.

Sometimes needed for race cars, just crappy and polluting for a daily.

An air oil separator is a better solution if you really can’t/don’t want to use the stock system.

EDIT: Catch can is also appropriate as part of the 'normal' PCV system to collect moisture and oil vapours. Less costly than and AOS, but needs to be emptied from time to time or it'll overflow or just puke all the collected garbage into the intake. Most cars need neither, just a good functioning PCV system. But for me, the added expense of the AOS vs. catch can was worth it to make it an 'install and forget' type thing.

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 1

Ah My Turbo inlet pipe tore so they said it usually happens over time as the oil and residue sit in and on the inlet pipe. I have ordered an aftermarket inlet pipe for the turbo since I have seen a few people say they tend to fail over time because its rubber. So silicone is supposedly the way to go... Will most likely replace all pipes over time with silicone as it seems like the more reliable choice at this point.

Silicon intake pipes are nice. Good for vacuum system stuff as well, if they are well built/reinforced. But also typically softer than rubber and easier to kink.

Not great for fuel at all, and cheaper ones can sometimes ‘bleed through’ some chemicals and end up being nasty and tacky on the outside. Worth buying quality if making the switch. 

I have a Perrin inlet tube for the same reasons you listed. + the post MAF tube. Couple of vacuum lines replaced with high quality silicon, but the rest ai just got new rubber hoses. The OE lasted 20 years, so that ain’t a bad track record.

Thats true too. The silicone just seem easier to get and bend how you need them... Its a precaution just in case I decide to go insane with moding the care at some point as well to eliminate the need to replace pipes. Intercooler already upgraded to the Rev9 which is rated around 420hp but that has yet to be seen.