LegacyGT.com

I just bought a 2011 legacy we just notice at night the low beam headlights are on but you can't see the road and I check both fuse and I check relay high beam works perfect can some one give me some insight I can't figure it out and both bulbs are brand new 

Daytime running lights are the inboard (high beam) bulb running at low voltage. These should be on all the time when the car is running, in gear, and the parking brake is released. The low beam is the outboard bulb. It should turn on, and the DRL should turn off, when you switch the lights on.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The one I circle are low beam /drl 

And the other one is high beam so the low beam are on and running bright but you can't see the road at all at night time but the high beam are perfects unless the wiring is switch around because the low beam turns on during the day 

Screenshot_20240306_143319_Chrome.jpg

Edited by angelc1990

the low beams are not DRLs, if they headlight switch is not on the low beams do not turn on, there's a little wedge bulb that is the DRL in the high beam reflector.  i think the easiest thing here so we're all on the same page would be to take a couple pictures of the car with the headlight switch turned on, off, and high beams engaged.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, creep_nu said:

..:there's a little wedge bulb that is the DRL in the high beam reflector. ..

As GTeaser indicated the DRLs use the high beam bulbs. The small bulb in the high beam reflector is a parking/running/city light. 

• Like 2

OP, some of the ‘10/11 legacies eat low beam bulbs and they are a PITA to change, so much so that SOA gave free headlight bulb replacements for first ten years.  Maybe try some new bulbs?  I had one recently that was noticeably dim for a week or two before it burned out completely. 

Someone has VLEDs for sale in the classifieds…

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NVAKeith said:

As GTeaser indicated the DRLs use the high beam bulbs. The small bulb in the high beam reflector is a parking/running/city light. 

you right you right, getting my stuff mixed up

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, angelc1990 said:

I know the little bulb but for some odd reason my little bulb and the low beam are on during the day with auto on and the switch off

That sounds odd…. Maybe a bad ground?

6 minutes ago, GTEASER said:

I wonder if the sun load senser (for auto lights) is fried. Or maybe he has a dash mat that is covering up the sun load sensor.

After reading through the thread, that is exactly what I was thinking. Mine was bad on the GT when I bought it. 

angelc1990, if you have dual zone climate control, does the auto work correctly? A bad sun sensor will affect that as well.

• Like 1

Where did you get to with this? Did you try not using the auto light sensor and turning them on / off? (I'm not sure it's clear where you got too) - the only problem that I had was that rats ate the wiring out of the my driver side headlight (and part of the box) - did a bit of splicing, and got it back. 

/wrt it being a pain - just get used to dropping the skirt -it just adds about 10-20 minutes on either side, and once you do it a bunch of times - it gets fast. 

On 3/5/2024 at 10:20 PM, angelc1990 said:

I just bought a 2011 legacy we just notice at night the low beam headlights are on but you can't see the road and I check both fuse and I check relay high beam works perfect can some one give me some insight I can't figure it out and both bulbs are brand new 

you low beams are not on - they are the DRLs - if your low beams were on -the projectors would be bright.  Take pictures at night with the switch in auto - and another with the switch "on" and onother with the switch on with high beams.