LegacyGT.com

4th Gen Audio Discussion

57 minutes ago, TomahawkLabs said:

This is where I feel like I’m in the minority. I drive my car on the city streets, so 99% of my driving is 65mph or lower 90% is 40mph or less. I don’t track it and it’s my daily so it can never be “race car”. It is super fun since the “extra” gear down low I’m constantly shifting from 1-3 in town. It’s like I’m driving in a F&F movie. 

Every time I look at adding go fast parts (engine) I think of everything that has to be done to “do it right”. A catted down pipe and tune would run me $1500-2000. I’d make more power and my 0-65 time would improve when I merge onto the interstate. Then there is the increased wear due to increased forces which will lead me into a very expensive rabbit hole. So the incentive to do that is rather limited. Because why buy the upgrades to not use them. 

I listen to music every time I drive, whether it’s an album or Twitch Stream there is always something playing when I drive. I don’t listen loudly so I still hear my stock car noises.

Putting that same amount towards a modest audio system including sound treatment. You’d be adding 50-100lbs of sprung weight mostly evenly around all 4 corners. If I have either of my kids in the car I gain that much but localized to a rear corner. It would reduce/remove vibrations in the panels and improve the overall sound and modernize the navigation to CarPlay.

Really make it feel like my Spec B is a grown up STi. I didn’t want an STi because they are visually loud cars that attract attention. The 3 main differences between the Spec B and an STi are: the engine power, the brakes, and the DCCD/Front Diff. All of which are unnecessary for the kind of drivingi my car does or will do. 

I’ve done and will continue to do suspension upgrades (STi Pinks/Bilstiens, OZ lightweight wheels) and hopefully a 2015+ steering rack soon because I can enjoy those at 25 mph around the round abouts and everywhere else I drive to. 

Well, if we haven't scared off @Tehnation yet.... let's just keep on threadjacking, haha! He's got his stuff installed and tuned now, so he won't need the thread anymore anyhow.

I was just going to say something about how the DP + tune thing in reasonably inexpensive, and really does wake up the car noticeably. I think if you keep your aim on the low end of power gains, you'd appreciate how much more fun to drive the car is once you get off the stock tune. I would even argue, that the BEST parts of those mods are to be had under whatever "80 mph" translate into in world units. :)

Then, at the same time, I think of the pile of receipts I have (or sometimes pretend I do not) that got me to where I am, with a 'safe stage 2' build... JMP turbo, complete exhaust system, TMIC, Cobb AP, full suspension rebuild, etc..... and I think it's a good time for me to shut my mouth. Hah! Stay Stock Stay Happy.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Well, if we haven't scared off @Tehnation yet.... let's just keep on threadjacking, haha! He's got his stuff installed and tuned now, so he won't need the thread anymore anyhow.

I was just going to say something about how the DP + tune thing in reasonably inexpensive, and really does wake up the car noticeably. I think if you keep your aim on the low end of power gains, you'd appreciate how much more fun to drive the car is once you get off the stock tune. I would even argue, that the BEST parts of those mods are to be had under whatever "80 mph" translate into in world units. :)

Then, at the same time, I think of the pile of receipts I have (or sometimes pretend I do not) that got me to where I am, with a 'safe stage 2' build... JMP turbo, complete exhaust system, TMIC, Cobb AP, full suspension rebuild, etc..... and I think it's a good time for me to shut my mouth. Hah! Stay Stock Stay Happy.

Touche, I wonder if a mod would be nice enough to clean this up into a new post 🤔. @Tehnation where’s that acceleration video lol.  

in all seriousness, sorry and I do hope a mod can clear this up.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, blackobxt said:

Touche, I wonder if a mod would be nice enough to clean this up into a new post 🤔. @Tehnation where’s that acceleration video lol.  

in all seriousness, sorry and I do hope a mod can clear this up.

There, I think that's pretty close to what you were asking for.

• Like 2

I'm scrambling to get my inspection done, expires today. Disconnecting the battery while troubleshooting cleared the ecu... so now I'm driving like a madman to get the thing ready. Takes forever for this O2 sensor, everything else is quick...

Alright, inspected! I forgot in NY you can still pass with one of the IM readiness things not ready! Back to audio! 

I think the highest components I am going to find are 125 or 150 watts rms. Not sure how well that will pair up with a 1000watt sub amp and 2 12" subs. 

Whos got suggestions, I don't want to spend more than 250-300 for a set, for both. I'm will to drop 600 on 4 (6 with tweeters) speakers. Ive been out of the audio game for a minute.

TBH my current system is fine, but it can be louder lol. 

I’ve been out of the audio game for about 8yrs now but back then the only semi affordable option for that rms was JL and even they were about $600 a pair. But I have no idea what the game is like these days. 

I like the pioneer 4 channel amp, so I am definitely keeping that. Main reason being it has the Speaker Level to RCA Input Adapter, which would allow me to get rid of that rats nest of wires and an adapter box that needs to be ground behind my radio, and has more power. 

I think I am going to get these, they are old but who cares, my speakers are 10 years old. KICKER 47KSS6704

https://www.amazon.com/Kicker-47KSS6704-Component-Speakers-KSS6704/dp/B084HLBMWF 

It looks like thats the older model of this. Kicker KSS670

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20651KSS67/Kicker-KSS670.html?tp=106

I duno, I remember when they sold speakers with 150w+ rms at best buy, wtf did I miss? I haven't looked into car audio in over a decade. 

3 minutes ago, blackobxt said:

I’ve been out of the audio game for about 8yrs now but back then the only semi affordable option for that rms was JL and even they were about $600 a pair. But I have no idea what the game is like these days. 

It seems even JL audio has lost the big end

https://www.jlaudio.com/collections/car-audio-speakers?_=pf&pf_t_size=diameter%3A6.5 inch&pf_t_type=type%3AComponent&pf_t_type_and_condition=true

its a niche market it seems. I remember back in the day the Crutchfield filter had waaaay more options past 75w+ rms. I won't lie, new technology and cars have decent systems for the most basic cars and lots of new laws for noise pollution, its just a old trend now I guess. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 220 amp alternator to power everything. Also I did a diode modification on the feed (center wire) back to the ecu. It tricks the ecu into raising the alternator charge voltage .6 Volts or so higher due to voltage drop across the diode.