LegacyGT.com

That new sound...01 GT Wagon 5MT

That new sound...01 GT Wagon 5MT 250K 

Now a new drive train related (not engine) fast high frequency "chipping" when accelerating from standstill, occurring in sync with the acceleration...up to about 30 mph.

Ideas? Help! TIA

Edited by rjnakata

I know this is gonna sound crazy but..... muffler bearings.

In all seriousness, the internals of the muffler are likely falling apart. had it happen on my third gen almost immediately after getting the transmission rebuilt. and I hear it all the time on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen foresters.  I don't know why the foresters so much.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 5:54 AM, silverton said:

I know this is gonna sound crazy but..... muffler bearings.

I did change the fluid in the turn signals and it cured a bad clicking sound whenever I used them...haha

The chirping sound seems to be tied to the transmission - ie faster acceleration / faster chirping.  But up to about 30 mph.  It does seem to come from the back.  I'll keep an ear out for the muffler.

It comes and goes now...  As always thanks for your insight.

Yeah the sound I heard from mine seemed to be coming from the front/middle too, does it happen in neutral or only while in gear? you do have a manual so it could be your throwout or pilot bearings.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 5:57 AM, silverton said:

Yeah the sound I heard from mine seemed to be coming from the front/middle too, does it happen in neutral or only while in gear? you do have a manual so it could be your throwout or pilot bearings.

Happens while accelerating IN GEAR, but disappears with clutch depressed...

Sounds kind of like a propeller scraping on something...more rpms = faster spinning of the propeller..

It does come from the front somewhere...

That could be the pilot bearing.

Maybe the propshaft on the way out?

Sorry dude, this is just ideas about what to have a look at. Diagnosis of rando noises via the internet isn’t exactly a fine science.

Clutch components were replaced with the transmission? 100k (miles?) is still about the life of some of those parts if driven….. enthusiastically.

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, KZJonny said:

sorry dude, this is just ideas about what to have a look at. Diagnosis of rando noises via the internet isn’t exactly a fine science.

Appreciate the time.  The driveshaft was replaced about 75K ago.  The noise happens when the clutch is NOT depressed so not thinking it's the pilot... 

So I'm at a loss.  Sometimes sounds like a cricket chirping that gets more excited as I accelerate....but most of the time nothing.

Perhaps a broken spring clip on the throwout.  Sometimes it sits happy, others the missing spring clip lets it touch the fingers?

Can you get the car lifted on frame blocks enough to have all four wheels off the ground?  If so, you could try to get it to make the noise while you can climb around and check things.  You might be able to see something through the clutch arm hole with the boot pulled off, and there is an inspection hole opposite of the clutch arm.  Don't get crushed or rip any of your parts off working around moving parts.

31 minutes ago, doublechaz said:

Perhaps a broken spring clip on the throwout.  Sometimes it sits happy, others the missing spring clip lets it touch the fingers?

Don't get crushed or rip any of your parts off working around moving parts.

Honestly that sounds like it...ie like a propeller blade scraping lightly against metal..

Driving in the air,..and crawling under does sound a bit hairy....

Thanks all.

11 hours ago, silverton said:

scraping metal and a helicopter sound...  almost definitely the throwout against the pressure plate

Ok, good to know...not good to know..

Would that at all be related to a single transmission related clunk heard when starting from standstill?  Sounds like another bushing is worn..

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hey gang.  I might have the same or similar issue and was looking for some ideas.

Went for a spin with a buddy last night and he thinks it might be the transfer case.  We'll lift it up next week and have a look.  I also just uploaded a you tube video so you folks can hear it, but it won't be public until tomorrow.  Will reply again once it's available.

$$$

Here's the video.  Whining noise.  Pitch increases with speed, as opposed to acceleration.  This is why I think it's gear / diff / output shaft related as opposed to clutch related.

Thoughts?

$$$