LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy Sub Installed Yesterday (Pictures)...

[quote name='NewGTGuy']It's really not that big of a deal. The guys at Subaru make everythinng snap right into place. Once I put it all back together, you could never tell I took it apart in the first place. You can get to the point of HVAC/Radio removal in approx. 30 minutes. Good luck! NGG[/quote] you can do it a lot quicker than that. there is no need to take apart the armrest to get the stereo out. i used a credit card to pry up the plastic plate that contains the shifter boot. once you do that, unscrew shift knob and lift off the plastic plate, remove the 2 screws for the side pieces and remove them, and then you are ready to remove the stereo.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='-HEF-'][quote name='NewGTGuy']It's really not that big of a deal. The guys at Subaru make everythinng snap right into place. Once I put it all back together, you could never tell I took it apart in the first place. You can get to the point of HVAC/Radio removal in approx. 30 minutes. Good luck! NGG[/quote] you can do it a lot quicker than that. there is no need to take apart the armrest to get the stereo out. i used a credit card to pry up the plastic plate that contains the shifter boot. once you do that, unscrew shift knob and lift off the plastic plate, remove the 2 screws for the side pieces and remove them, and then you are ready to remove the stereo.[/quote] Yeah, but do you mark up the plastic? Please post pics :)

Guest *Jedimaster*
I just put in a shift light and had the console apart- my advice is to take the 2 screws out of the rear of the armrest- it's much easier when getting things back together.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I'll have to take some pix- I had it in my WRX. It hooks into the cigarette lighter and gets an RPM signal there. The control box went in the glovebox.

[quote name='NewGTGuy']I installed the OEM subwoofer yesterday. The whole thing took about 1.5 hours. Someone with better skill than me could do it in under an hour. Anyway, this is not a walk-through but I still took some pictures. Take a look. Also, the sub does make a noticable difference. I turned the gain up .25 and the bass on the stereo down to 2. I sounds great. I sure can feel the bump under my seat. Good luck! NGG[/quote] Hey...thanks for the pics and installation info. I just bought a stock Subaru subwoofer on eBay for US$79...same harness, same amp/spkr, just a different metal bracket, for older model years. Any chance you could look at your install instructions that came w your unit, and tell me what the part # is for the metal bracket? Using the correct bracket, I understand that the adjustment screws face either back or front, not sideways? With the bracket I have, the screws would face the side of the car. I suppose I could make a metal bracket, but it it might be available cheap enough from the dealer. Thanks!

[quote name='jedimaster']Wasn't it noted in this thread that the Legacy subwoofer is smaller than the WRX one?[/quote] I recall reading somewhere that subs for older Legacies won't on the new GT, due to the power seat motors, etc. I did a test fit of my elcheapo sub yesterday...no clearance issues.

[quote name='jedimaster']Wasn't it noted in this thread that the Legacy subwoofer is smaller than the WRX one?[/quote] Yeah, I had a WRX sub and it does not fit under the 05 Leg/OB seats. I ordered a new one specifically for the 05 Leg/OB and it is thinner, fits fine. Craig

GTNEWGUY - do you recall how many wires went into sub from cable and how many slots there where in connector IE, was there 8 slots and 6 wires? Reason I ask is in the XT Outback there is an unused 12 slot connector under the drivers seat with 8 wires - I assumed it was for sub woofer, but now I think I'm wrong - i have now no idea what it is for. Thanks

Finally managed to install the $79 Subaru subwoofer (see [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32808&item=5717233378[/url] for details, no affiliation) Thanks to the instructions/pics here, install was fast and easy. Note that the bracket that comes with this unit won't fit on the 05 Legacy models. For now, my sub is just sitting under the driver's seat, which is handy for tweaking the gain and high cut settings. Still need to make a bracket to secure the sub to the seat bolt. A caution: the plastic material where the head unit screws tighten is pretty soft...I managed to strip one so that it won't tighten all the way. Suggest that before re-installing screws, give them a counterclockwise turn until you hear them click as the find the groove, and only then start turning them clockwise. A good habit to get into when dealing with plastic threads in general. Pretty pleased with the sound...fills in the low end nicely, but probably won't be enough for some. :roll:

• 4 months later...
Something to note, when I recently bought my oem subwoofer, I had planned on running the wire under the carpet (because of the blue wire showing next to the seat). I was pleased to find that subaru has apparently switched to using black wire, woohoo!
.o0O0o.

I gotta couple of questions for you or anyone whos knows the answer! 1. Can 2 of these subwoofer systems be installed? (i.e. Under driver and passenger seats) 2. What sub system can be installed under the rear deack? (there is apparently an 8" opening for a single speaker of some sort!!!) Thanks, CRAZY KEN Oh, and most importantly...how does it sound??? tight...boomy...loud...clean...distorted??? what???

[quote name='CRAZY KEN']2. What sub system can be installed under the rear deack? (there is apparently an 8" opening for a single speaker of some sort!!!) [/QUOTE] That's actually one of those JDM options the US does not get...their subwoofer does not go under the seat...it goes in the rear deck.

1) Wiring wise I would think it would be easy to add a second sub. Physically mounting it under the passenger seat, worst case you might have to slightly modify the mounting bracket. The thing I'd be worried about is whether the small guage radio power wire could handle the extra juice a second sub would demand and if the radio fuse would blow for that matter. As far as sound goes its nothing too drastic. It just fills out the lower end, not boomy. I kinda feel like it might not have been worth the $180 I spent on it, but it is nice that it doesn't take up any useful space in the car.
.o0O0o.

If you splice the wires, then you will have a 3db loss (1/2) so you would have to do something to compensate. They make line level amplifier type units that will allow you to compensate for it. I remember doing that to add bass shakers to my old car. I split the RCAs coming from the head unit since I only had one set for Subwoofers and hooked it up to the Bass Shaker amp as well as the Subwoofer amp. I turned the gain up on the subwoofer amp but it never had the same punch as the standalone unit. Just something to think about. It is possible, but will it be noticeable?

Archived