LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy Sub Installed Yesterday (Pictures)...

The super deep screw is the top screw on each side for the deck (as listed in the instructions - i guess i should have looked more carefully as they [B]do[/B] show the arrow for the "super deep" screw below the top most screw in the diagram - I think you need to take the top most screw off anyway to get the side panle off) As for side panel - its the plastic side panel that is on the left hand side of the foot area of the passenger side - the directions say to pull it off but it's a pain in the neck to pull it off so I tried to avoid that process but the 14 pin connector is a tight fit so you really need to be able to get in from the side. Needing to take this panel off means you need to remove the bolts from the back of the center console. Even though some threads suggest you do not need to mess with the console, unless you have very strong hands you need to pull off the side panel which required me to take the bolts out of the center console. I did not remove it or disconnect any wiring (heated seats), just left it loose in order to reattach the side panel. Let me knoW if you have further questions - glad to help!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
[quote name='Nonvteclegacy']Do you have to take out the driver seat to install the sub under it? Is this kit all plug and play? Will this sub work in a 2.5i?[/quote] Don't have to take it out...just unbolt it and tip it backward. Tip: If you have powerseats, undo the bolts on the seat before you undo the battery; there is no "middle" setting for the seat that will allow for access to all 4 bolts. Times like those that I wish I had manual seats....faster and no power needed. :icon_mrgr
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I did the initial install(leaving the sub in the passenger footarea) in 10 minutes. I didn't have to take off the passenger side panel for the console. All I had to do was disconnect the hazard cable and I had enough room to disconnect the stereo harness and plug in the sub harness. I was able to rebend the bracket that comes with the sub to fit my Spec B. Here's the hole and cable where I finally ran the harness through under the passenger seat: [IMG]http://twinke.com/Pictures/SubInstall/CableThrough.jpg[/IMG] The hardest part was figuring out which way to put the mounting bracket. If you rebend the bracket and redrill some holes, it'll fit fine on the inside rear seat bracket. Some pictures: [IMG]http://twinke.com/Pictures/SubInstall/Mounted1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://twinke.com/Pictures/SubInstall/Mounted3.jpg[/IMG] Some bracket details - Here's where I ended up drilling the new holes: [IMG]http://twinke.com/Pictures/SubInstall/Bracket1.jpg[/IMG] Here's how I rebent the bracket: [IMG]http://twinke.com/Pictures/SubInstall/Bracket2.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Nonvteclegacy']Does anybody know where I can get the wiring harness for the sub. Besides the dealer. I have just the sub unit. No wires[/quote]See posts 69 and 76 earlier in this thread. Also, Subaruparts.com sells the replacement factory T-harness (P/N H6300LS320) for $77.51. But here's a dirty little secret: They also sell an 80 Watt sub (P/N H6300AS030) that [I]includes[/I] the harness for $68.51. It used to be listed under their 'OEM accessories' page for 1997 Legacies. So when you go to sell the unneeded sub on eBay, be sure to tell the buyer they can get pieces to build the harness from me :)

• 9 months later...
Great info. on this thread! :) Thanks in no small part to the tips in this thread (i.e. the one about the far-recessed head-unit retention screws), I was able to complete this install in less than an hour - and that included the piggy-back of a factory WRX sub to the other side (thanks to brother [b]bskey[/b] for the awesome deal on the set). I ended up only pulling the shifter surround and side-trims, and was then able to pull my head-unit out far enough that I could access the main harness plug. Those of you with larger/"beefier" hands and arms may or may not find this possible.....but it did save me a big chunk of time. I had to use a new grounding screw, though, as my head-unit bracket screws were just impossible - it seems that the Indiana factory gorilla, on that particular day, was working interior components, 'cause my UP/DP bolts were easy. :lol: One question - some of you, it seems, have mounted the factory LGT sub to the passenger side of the vehicle. Could I get some pictures of this, please? As I mentioned above, I've got a factory WRX sub under the passenger's seat, and it does eat a bit of rear seat foot space (not that it matters for me, at the moment, since Anna's in her car seat right above, and her feet are, like, 24 inches above the footwell :lol: ). I'm wondering if relocating the LGT sub to that area will prove a better fit, but I would still think that the bar that passes under the passenger's seat would be the main limiting factor? BTW, I highly recommend the factory sub for anyone who is, like me, not much of an audiophile. It really "fills in" nicely, and I now truly have no further wants for my factory unit. It's easy, cost-effective, and perfectly placed to conserve as much space as possible for cargo.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

[quote name='NewGTGuy']I installed the OEM subwoofer yesterday. The whole thing took about 1.5 hours. Someone with better skill than me could do it in under an hour. Anyway, this is not a walk-through but I still took some pictures. Take a look. Also, the sub does make a noticable difference. I turned the gain up .25 and the bass on the stereo down to 2. I sounds great. I sure can feel the bump under my seat. Good luck! NGG[/quote] and you made it so hard to install... i have two jl 10" with 800 watts

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='jre1234']and you made it so hard to install... i have two jl 10" with 800 watts[/quote] To each his own I guess. I installed the OEM sub last night and I am very happy with it. Cargo space is more important to me than shaking the car next to me. I didn't even want to sacrifice the space the JL Stealthbox uses.

• 4 months later...
I read that you can install a second sub/amp assembly and piggy it to the other. Does any one have info on how to do this? and What is the optimum settings for the subs. I have a dealer installed sub under the drivers seat but was thinking of adding a second.

I don't know much about audio but I don't think you can piggy back with the oem subwoofer installed. Do a search. One high end aftermarket sub would probably be enough so you could sell your oem sub to someone here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well I'm guessing a lot of these questions have been answered already.

I just installed an OEM Sub on my 08 Spec B. There was no harness pre-installed anywhere. I installed the sub under the passenger seat, as the nav is under the driver's seat. I had to bend the bracket such that the part that attaches to the seat rail would be 180° so to say. No need to change anything else. I followed the instructions in the PDF.

I was able to run the wires under the carpet without a problem. This was my main worry as I thought it would be very difficult. I got it done in probably an hour. I took off the four bolts that hold the seat to the chassis and it made it a lot easier to get to the carpet.

I didn't unplug the battery.

The sub does what I expected it to do. It provides decent bass, probably a little more than the stock speakers, but I don't have to have the Bass level so high up that the doors rattle.

I'm happy with it :)

Havanahjoe, did you buy a harness then? I've had two OEM subs for nearly a year now and haven't installed them. I don't have the wiring harnesses yet. I found em here though:

http://subaruproparts.com/index.php?cPath=1_24_37_49

Anyone know of a better place to buy em?

Damn $75 just for the harness is a lot! I got the harness with the sub when I bought it from a forum member. Hopefully someone can chime in on where to buy it. Maybe post a WTB thread on the WTB forum.

• 8 months later...

dammit.

Just took an hour to take one out of a wrx.

Another half hour to dismantle my car.

The damn thing does not emit a single sound.

ugh.

seems like I have an extra connector though... a black one, with a loop ( wire coming back into said connector ).

Rings a bell to anyone ?

Thanks !

Havanahjoe, did you buy a harness then? I've had two OEM subs for nearly a year now and haven't installed them. I don't have the wiring harnesses yet. I found em here though:

http://subaruproparts.com/index.php?cPath=1_24_37_49

Anyone know of a better place to buy em?

Damn $75 just for the harness is a lot! I got the harness with the sub when I bought it from a forum member. Hopefully someone can chime in on where to buy it.

See my homepage link (click on my username).

Just took an hour to take one out of a wrx.

Another half hour to dismantle my car.

The damn thing does not emit a single sound.

seems like I have an extra connector though... a black one, with a loop ( wire coming back into said connector ).

What is your car's year and model? (please add that info to your profile)

Is the extra connector a square one with 8 pins (2 rows of 4)?

Is that part of your car's harness, or part of the WRX subwoofer's harness?

See the subwoofer posts in this thread for more info:

For the last several years, Subaru has been using two different styles of OEM subwoofer T-harnesses (they recently started using a third type with the new 20-pin radio harnesses).

When the sub's harness has the extra 8-pin plug and your radio doesn't have the socket it plugs into, you'll need to bridge the Violet and Orange wires (which carry the Left channel audio, and trigger the sub's sound-detect activation) over to the 14-pin connectors. See the picture and link in the above thread for details.

• 3 months later...
What is your car's year and model? (please add that info to your profile)

Is the extra connector a square one with 8 pins (2 rows of 4)?

Is that part of your car's harness, or part of the WRX subwoofer's harness?

See the subwoofer posts in this thread for more info:

For the last several years, Subaru has been using two different styles of OEM subwoofer T-harnesses (they recently started using a third type with the new 20-pin radio harnesses).

When the sub's harness has the extra 8-pin plug and your radio doesn't have the socket it plugs into, you'll need to bridge the Violet and Orange wires (which carry the Left channel audio, and trigger the sub's sound-detect activation) over to the 14-pin connectors. See the picture and link in the above thread for details.

That thread is a wealth of information, but apparently my reading comprehension is weak.

I have a 2008 LGT (no nav) and just purchased a sub out of a 2005 GT. The harness is this guy: http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/1788/subwoofharnesspx0.jpg

^I shouldn't need to jump any wires, right?

***Edit: I pulled my headunit and, sure enough, no wiring harness mods needed. Plug-and-play by luck! Again, I have the old-style harness and a 2008 LGT without Nav. I spent more time hunting lost clips for the side panels than I did anything else. I also flipped the mount and bent the tab so that I could install the sub under the passenger seat (to give my lady friends a little something extra while driving :dm:)

• 7 months later...
I need to move my sub my W7 is too much for this trunk.......maybe two 10's to the sides :D

But W7's are the best! Ive got mine lined up ported with therear center console ITS LOUD

Archived