LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy Sub Installed Yesterday (Pictures)...

[quote name='mele63']My recollection is that others have had to modify the harness to make this work. The "headunits'" for the 05's are a completely new and unique animal. I know it's a 14 pin connector going into the stock headunit. ...[/QUOTE]The harnesses for the Subuaru under-seat subwoofers are all essentially the same (if not identical). All Subaru radios since 1993 have been using this same 14-pin speaker/power connector, with the exact same pin-out. If there is any difference in subwoofer harnesses, it will only be slight variations in the length of the long leg that goes under the seat to the sub amp. Up in post #55 above, Patagonian GT said he transplanted a subwoofer from a WRX. Some Subaru radios in the last year or so have started including a separate jack with a subwoofer speaker output. The amp is built into the head unit. Some Foresters have had this for a couple of years. On the latest Legacies, that same jack has a pin for the A/C control. See this thread for more info: [url="http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749402"][u][i]Stock Head Unit information - pinouts, aux. inputs & more[/i][/u][/url] If you can find the other end of the subwoofer wires (under the rear deck?) then all that may be needed is a speaker. I'm not sure that every radio that has this new jack actually has the sub amplifier, but I think it's likely. Is somebody out there willing to test it? [QUOTE]... I intalled a satellite radio at the same time and was able to hack up the sub's wiring harness to splice in the sat. radio. ...[/QUOTE]How did that work (since the stock radio doesn't have any audio inputs)? Was that just an easy way tap power and ground wires to send to the satellite radio? How did you get the sat radio's audio output into the stock radio -- via the antenna wire?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote: ... I intalled a satellite radio at the same time and was able to hack up the sub's wiring harness to splice in the sat. radio. ... [i]Was that just an easy way tap power and ground wires to send to the satellite radio? [/i] Yes. I did it on the workbench and taped everything up real nice. Then all I had to do inside the car was plug the connectors together. From that point, I had two "tails", to run under the console. The sub wires on the dirver's side and the satellite wires on the passenger side. The satellite tuner is under the passenger seat. [i]How did you get the sat radio's audio output into the stock radio -- via the antenna wire?[/i] Yes, using the Metra connectors ("hardwired FM modulator")

[quote name='Leonardo']Yeah, seat needs to come out.![/QUOTE] In fact, I just finished intalling mine without taking the seat out. It's not a big deal so pass the wiring between the seat/rail and center tunnel. -Rob

• 1 month later...
I know this is an old thread, but this is a better place to post the answer then a new question. Can anyone tell me how high this subwoofer is? And why the hell can't the dimensions of this thing be found anywhere on the net? I must be using the wrong search tokens because some place out there must have it. [ oem subwoofer height dimensions ]

• 2 months later...
[quote name='Hanger']how much is it again? the sub?, too lazy to look it up... and do you get two subs under the driver and passenger seats? or just 1[/quote] Installs only under the driver seat. Current cost under $200... [URL="https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_43&products_id=580"]Subarugenuineparts.com[/URL] = $178 [URL="http://www.subaruparts.com/catalog/?section=534"]Subaruparts.com[/URL] = $189

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

Yeah, you can feel it a bit, buzzin' your butt. It sounds a bit artificially boosted and not that deep into the lower freq's, but it's not objectionable and does fill out the music a bit. If you're really picky about music, you probably won't like it.

• 2 months later...
[quote name='Avishar']Anyone know what the point of that ground wire is that comes on the harness? (the one on the side that hooks up to the deck)...[/quote]You're supposed to attach it to one of the mounting bracket screws, on the side of the radio. Here's a link to [URL="http://www.subaruparts.com/guides/44S_Subwoofer_IxI.pdf"][U]Subaru's Subwoofer installation instructions[/U][/URL] (a PDF file). The instructions vary a little for different models/years, but the general idea is the same. The ground wire is shown in step 18 on page 5. [quote name='nawojalso']so what is the thickness of this unit?[/quote]I don't have the height measurement, but estimate it's about 1-3/4". The 8-pin connector on the side (2nd picture in post #1) is about 5/8" high. I would think what you want to know is the available space under your seat.

• 7 months later...
Anybody do the OEM sub install in an '06 LGT Limited automatic wagon? I got the rear armrest part of the consol out ok but can't figure out from the instructions how to remove the shifter knob (if necessary) and the shifter plate. The instruction sheet I received with the sub doesn't totally match up with my car. I don't think I have to remove the power cable for the heated seats either on my '06 LGT. Any input would be helpful. Ed in Philly

• 2 weeks later...
I love mine. I wasnt going for Hip/Hop style bass when i did the install. It adds just enough bass to where you can not only hear but feel it. I highly recommend it. The only thing is that to control the bass, you have to do it the same way as turning up the speaker bass, so you dont want to have it too loud otherwise you may get distortion in your speakers. I turned up the gain to almost full, and left the bass through the console at just 2 and it sounds great. Hope that helps.

I installed my oem sub under the driver's seat per the instructions. Took about 1 hr. total from start to actually listening to it. I had a few "extra" wires and ss-braided hose running throught the console from the alky/h2o install but plenty of room anyway.:icon_bigg I like the sound now, fills it out as many have stated and I have the gain turned up quite a bit and the stock bass control set at 2 as well. Sounds just right to me, not "tinny" anymore. lizard.
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

2007 Outback MT I am working on the sub install as we speak and even though I took out the six screws, after having removed the side "metal" trim piece as well as the shifter cover part, the radio is NOT sliding out - something is still holding onto it. Maybe I have to take all the trim off as suggested in the "no words" directions. Anyone with installation experience on a 2007 2.5i?

Quick update - figured out I had to take out a screw that was set much deeper than the others holding the deck in place. Took me 2 hours but the job is done. Seems like you do need to take off the side panel (passenger side) to get at the cabling to pull out and install the new cable because there is no where near enough slack to pull the deck out far enough.

[quote name='nahtanoj1']Quick update - figured out I had to take out a screw that was set much deeper than the others holding the deck in place. Took me 2 hours but the job is done. Seems like you do need to take off the side panel (passenger side) to get at the cabling to pull out and install the new cable because there is no where near enough slack to pull the deck out far enough.[/quote] <-- have 07 B, ordered subwfr and am going to install soon.... ...where is this super-deep screw that was hassling you? Also, when you say 'side panel' for the cables, what are you referring to? Thanks
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Archived