LegacyGT.com

turn key, no start, no click, nothing

Hi folks, I've got a problem with my 2005 Outback that has me stumped. This happened to me one day, then happened to my wife the next day because I didn't tell her. 😐

1. start the car, drive somewhere 10-15 minutes away

2. park, come back to the car for 10-15 minutes

3. turn the key...

4. the dash lights up as usual, the fuel pump runs for a few seconds as usual, but the starter does nothing. Not even a click from the solenoid.

5. I checked a bunch of fuses thinking that one had blown. Didn't find anything unusual. When it happened to my wife the next day she called to ask for advice, I suggested pulling fuses again... she wasn't able to remove any by hand.

6. After I gave up, I turned the key again and it started right up as usual. After she gave up, she turned the key again and it started right up.

I tried to reproduce the problem last weekend, but after that 10-15 minute drive the car just started right back up as usual, so there was nothing to troubleshoot. If I take it to a shop and it just works fine again, that'll be a waste of everyone's time, so I'm looking for ideas to troubleshoot this.

There's no check-engine light, and there are no codes.

Does anyone have idea what what's going on, or how to troubleshoot?

Thanks!

When that happened to me, it was the starter on it's way out.

The starter will start to develop "dead spots" where it doesn't do anything, if you keep trying or wack it with something, sometimes it's good and acts perfectly fine.

The starter on my '99 is starting to do this, but it's about once a month right now, and eventually starts so I'm waiting on it... :lol:

• Like 2

+1 to @Infosecdad

I had the same symptoms in my 2002 Suburban a few weeks ago. The starter made a slight click but did not even attempt to turn. Other times I tried to replicate the problem she roared to life. Replaced the starter and problem never returned. The starter has brushes that will wear down over time. The brushes can land on dead spots.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

https://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/ for starter and alternator rebuild kits.

Easy jobs and a lot cheaper than a reman even, plus you know the parts have been replaced. (I just did an alternator for a neighbour, which he supplied and was a little surprised to see the reman company had not replaced the reg/rec… wonder how long that will last…)

Edited by KZJonny

Have an assistant try to start the car while you listen to the starter relay.  If the relay clicks, the problem is downstream - starter, wiring, or battery.  If the relay doesn't click, the problem is upstream - clutch safety interlock switch, the relay itself, ignition switch, wiring.  Read the circuit diagrams in the vacation pix.

If the relay doesn't click, the relay and the clutch switch are very easy to test.

• 4 weeks later...