LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT Brake Bleeding

jc51373

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i can do the common things on cars, change oil, rotate tires:) not sure if i feel comfortable trying to bleed the brake lines myself, the consciences would be deadly and or costly to fix:redface:

Just got some new HPS front brake pads as well as some ATE Blue fluid, and I called the dealer and he quoted me 75 for the bleeding and 75 to install new pads, so 150 for labor cause i am providing the HPS and the ATE Blue....does this sound reasonable price to do these two things?

thanks

i can do the common things on cars, change oil, rotate tires:) not sure if i feel comfortable trying to bleed the brake lines myself, the consciences would be deadly and or costly to fix:redface:

Just got some new HPS front brake pads as well as some ATE Blue fluid, and I called the dealer and he quoted me 75 for the bleeding and 75 to install new pads, so 150 for labor cause i am providing the HPS and the ATE Blue....does this sound reasonable price to do these two things?

thanks

That's not a bad price.......AS LONG AS HE TOTALLY FLUSHES THE WHOLE BRAKE SYSTEM.

I would worry that they would just bleed the brakes, and/or just bleed the front, since you are only getting front pads.

If you are mechanical at all, a pad change and a flush is not tough to do.

I take the attitude that I feel better doing my own brakes, rather than relying on someone else. Not only have I heard of brake job screw-ups, but I had one of my own. I had the car (not the LGT) in to the dealer for an ABS problem. While they were at it, they said my RR caliper was bad. Since I was scrambling to get things ready for a car convention that had a track day, I said "go ahead".

Long story short, but I was getting a weird noise upon HEAVY braking at Summit Point.

Turns out that they left one of the two caliper bolts off the new RR caliper (or didn't tighten it so it fell out). This was 6 years ago. I have done all of my own brake work since then.

To save you the trouble of digging for it, here's the link for the most-excellent Motive brake bleeder:

http://www.motiveproducts.com/

Ron

That's not a bad price.......AS LONG AS HE TOTALLY FLUSHES THE WHOLE BRAKE SYSTEM.

I would worry that they would just bleed the brakes, and/or just bleed the front, since you are only getting front pads.

If you are mechanical at all, a pad change and a flush is not tough to do.

I take the attitude that I feel better doing my own brakes, rather than relying on someone else. Not only have I heard of brake job screw-ups, but I had one of my own. I had the car (not the LGT) in to the dealer for an ABS problem. While they were at it, they said my RR caliper was bad. Since I was scrambling to get things ready for a car convention that had a track day, I said "go ahead".

Long story short, but I was getting a weird noise upon HEAVY braking at Summit Point.

Turns out that they left one of the two caliper bolts off the new RR caliper (or didn't tighten it so it fell out). This was 6 years ago. I have done all of my own brake work since then.

To save you the trouble of digging for it, here's the link for the most-excellent Motive brake bleeder:

http://www.motiveproducts.com/

thanks for the quick reply. i will have to call again to verify that it would be a full flush of the system and not like u mentioned just the fronts.

one other quick thing, if i did go the route of DIY, would 1 can of ATE be enough? and like wise taking it to the dealership, would 1 can be enough?

That is a fair price. It'll take you about that long (1 hour-2 hours) to flush and change front and rear pads.

1 can of ATE will be sufficient.

I dont know how mechanically savvy you are, but for some people a brake pad change can take under 20 minutes with the right tools. Then again, Ive also seen it take people an hour.

Proper tools = Cordless Impact gun or similar, jack, jackstands, sockets, piston compressor, torque wrench. Then also factor in having to dispose of the brake fluid at a recycling center.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

Yes, one can (quart or liter) is enough.

IMHO, I have quit using ATE, and have been using Valvoline Synthetic for quite a while now. Half the price, and virtually the same performance. Works just as well on track days. Plus, you can buy it about everywhere. This is a text table, and the formatting gets whacked, but it has the dry & wet boiling temps for each of these fluids.

DRY WET

Castrol LMA DOT 3/4 446 311

Ford Heavy Duty DOT 3 550 290

Performance Friction 550 284

Valvoline Synthetic 3/4 502 343

ATE Super Blue Racing 536 392

ATE TYP 200 536 392

ATE SL DOT 4 500 329

Motul Racing 600 585 421

Prospeed GS610 626 417

Castrol SRF 590 518

Ron

Yes, one can (quart or liter) is enough.

IMHO, I have quit using ATE, and have been using Valvoline Synthetic for quite a while now. Half the price, and virtually the same performance. Works just as well on track days. Plus, you can buy it about everywhere. This is a text table, and the formatting gets whacked, but it has the dry & wet boiling temps for each of these fluids.

DRY WET

Castrol LMA DOT 3/4 446 311

Ford Heavy Duty DOT 3 550 290

Performance Friction 550 284

Valvoline Synthetic 3/4 502 343

ATE Super Blue Racing 536 392

ATE TYP 200 536 392

ATE SL DOT 4 500 329

Motul Racing 600 585 421

Prospeed GS610 626 417

Castrol SRF 590 518

I also recommend Valvoline SynPower to people, however, it is important that if you do track the car to change the Valvoline fluid more frequently. The WetBP is most important for street cars, because most people do not flush regularly. Therefore, the wetBP # is the # you want to look at.

Since people who track their cars tend to flush more often, the dryBP# is one that you should look at if you track your car or change your fluid more frequently.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

Most track folks that I know will do a flush for each track event (before or after, depending on personal preference). I do at least one a year, usually two.

That should be sufficient. Doing it after each event is flushing $ away :)

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
Question guys. Today I flushed my fluid and had my wife operate the brake pedal. I got all of the old fluid out but now I have a really mushy pedal. I must have air in the lines? The only way I can figure that happened is maybe she released the pedal before I had the valve closed. Can air be pulled in through the valve? I'm not sure why else this would have happened other than fluid mix. I have no idea what was in it before since this is the first time I'm flushing the system. Thanks for the input.

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

Use a clear plastic water bottle, or other clear jar or glass as a fluid catch can. Pull some of the old brake fluid out of the master cylinder and put it into the catch can.

Connect a 10-12" clear vinyl line (small enough to fit tightly onto the bleeder valve nipple), to the bleeder valve and run it into the catch can so that the end is in the old fluid.

Definitely DO NOT release the brake pedal (partially or fully) until you've tightened down the bleeder valves. Then release, pump, open valve while holding down the brake pedal until your retighten the bleeder valve. Any air that is in the fluid will be visible in the vinyl line and will bubble out into the old fluid as you force new fluid through. Once the bubbles stop (after several pedal stroke/bleed/tighten sequences) fully tighten your bleeder valve and move on to the next wheel.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry to also resurrect an old thread. The FSM have said to lift and support the vehicle to remove all 4 wheels.

1. Is this required or necessary to make it easier to get the bleed screws?

2. I have 4 jack stands. Where are good resting points for the jack stands? Is the flat spot on the pinch welds ok? Since a whole person is going to be sitting in it?

Archived