LegacyGT.com

Cobb SF tuning problems

I have a 05 lgt mt wagon, and I put the sf intake on it. Yes, I know it doesn’t need the intake but I decided to put it on anyway. When running no tune bone stock ecu I get no codes and no check engine light. But I know I NEED to put the stage 1 sf tune on. Everything in the car is also stock. Everything performance related. But when I put a tune on it, it has troubles starting, and I get four error codes with the stage 1 sf tune and the normal stage 1 tune. I have no idea how to get these problems to reside and I need some help. I’ll put a picture of the codes that I was consistently getting. Oh, and all codes said circuit malfunction (open) IMG_0179.thumb.jpeg.8e7b3907486d156a17bae8c57a56065d.jpeg

Honestly don't know.

COBB CAI just seems to cause problems, even with their tune. I've got no hard info except that I've read that a pile of times, and that my car came with the SF installed, and I was able to fix most of the idle issues and CEL codes by going back to stock intake. (no tune)

I am currently on a COBB Stg. 2 non SF tune with a full exhaust system and custom turbo, 4-1 headers, etc..... And with all that, it still runs and idles better with the stock intake.

Just my 0.02.

NP.

On the other hand dude, prove me wrong. I am sure the information would be appreciated if you can figure it out. But it seems that generally despite COBB insisting that their SF tune takes care of everything, you generally need a pro tune to use it. I'm not trying to harsh on anyone for wanting some peformance parts.

I think it was Shralp? who said his tuner told him to remove it and go back to stock 'coz it was causing problems tuning his car. I want to say that until going to a high performance 16G he was getting better performace with stock than the SF...

Whatever you do, don't run it without a proper tune.  When I bought my spec.B it had the COBB intake and I thought nothing of it.  Not CEL, no codes, everything seemed fine.  Until I looked at the learning view (ECU learned fuel trims, etc).  It had been running poorly, limiting boost, wild swings in lean/rich corrections, but all within what the ECU was capable of so it actually never showed a problem on the dash.  Until I blew a ringland due to (assumed) months/years of poor running and occasional knock.  Odd thing is it seemed to drive fine with NO indication things were so bad.

20 hours ago, KZJonny said:

NP.

On the other hand dude, prove me wrong. I am sure the information would be appreciated if you can figure it out. But it seems that generally despite COBB insisting that their SF tune takes care of everything, you generally need a pro tune to use it. I'm not trying to harsh on anyone for wanting some peformance parts.

I think it was Shralp? who said his tuner told him to remove it and go back to stock 'coz it was causing problems tuning his car. I want to say that until going to a high performance 16G he was getting better performace with stock than the SF...

Yup, that’s what my experience was at Cobb/Surgeline, my tuner of 12 years. They had me keep the stock air box on until going 16G or larger as the car ran much better and was easier to tune.  Seems counter intuitive I know, but with a clean panel filter installed it flows plenty well at VF40/52 power levels. 

• Like 3

I have a Cobb intake on my 06. It came this way. I did have to fine tune the MAF scaling though. The car has been running fine for almost 10 years now with very good gas mileage. I should be careful saying that though :spin:. catless up, VF40, catted hiflow DP, 3" midpipe with stromung mufflers. She's loud!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question with this then. If I eventually go for a 16g turbo, and a couple other upgrades to open up flow, should I even use the Access port tunes or just get it done professionally. Also would it be reliable with the tune and as it is my daily not much spirited driving. Honestly, I know im asking for a lot because it is my daily, but I’m trying to make it the best daily possible, while keeping it reliable.

If you value reliability over spirited driving….

Stay Stock = Stay Happy

But if you want just a little more power out of it, consider having your VF40 worked over by JMP. Or, since it is your daily, find a spare and send it to him the swap it out. There is a whole thread of reviews of his work. The Custom version of his turbos is where the good stuff is at.

That + DP and catless UP + either COBB stage 2 or pro tune will really wake up the car.

However, the problem with modding stuff will kick in. To take advantage of that new power you may really want/need to:

-replace/upgrade suspension parts $$
-new tires $$
-reliability improvements like cooling or intercooler $$$
-new clutch/flywheel when yours begins to burn up $$

So, do it, but go in with eyes open and a good credit limit.

Got it. Most of that stuff I actually have currently. Well nothing having to do with exhaust. I have spec b shocks, a stage 2 clutch, and the 4th piston mod. But I am looking to get a new intercooler. Would an STI intercooler fit?

2 hours ago, Flxr_88 said:

Got it. Most of that stuff I actually have currently. Well nothing having to do with exhaust. I have spec b shocks, a stage 2 clutch, and the 4th piston mod. But I am looking to get a new intercooler. Would an STI intercooler fit?

Sti IC = no. Totally different fitment.

Grimmspeed is pretty much the last good option for North America. Or roll the dice on a Godspeed and hope the welds are clean.

Any power mods you want to do will 100% need a new downpipe. It’s the worst restriction in the exhaust, and the 2x cats are not compatible with high exhaust flow.

Up pipe is technically okay, but if that old ass catalytic in it breaks up and destroys your turbo and fills the IC with metal shards, you will be an unhappy camper.