LegacyGT.com

Reverse light flickers when in reverse, moving shifter helps

Hay, 

This has been an issue for a few years, and as I was trying to back up an on ramp in the dark a couple days ago cuz traffic was dead stopped on my way to work and could barely see, I decided I'm gunna try to address the issue. 

When I put my car in reverse, the backup lights flicker in and out and sometimes don't even work. If i put my shifter in one specific spot, they work. 

Based on my research, this could be due to a switch in the transmission. Is this correct? 

Thanks! 

Edited by Charlie Tango

FWIW I had something like this going on with my OBW, although more about it not quite 'catching' the selected gear without pushing the selector to a sweet spot, much like you say.

Before worrying about trans internals I would take a close look at the shifter cable where it meets the gear selector lever under the car. Mine had rust welded into a fixed position, when it should be able to rotate freely around a plastic bush, allowing for the cable end to articulate up and down. (You'll understand as soon as you see it....)

Ultimately mine snapped while I was messing around with it, trying to figure out why it would not start. the seized bush and damaged cable weren't allowing the gear selector to drop in to the detent for each gear neatly, so it was sometimes kind of half in a gear. Something like that could easily cause a partial of incomplete switching action for your backup lights.

It's a good place to start anyway. If it isn't the problem, at least your shifter cable will end up inspected, lubricated and ruled out as the cause.

• Like 2

Only because I just helped a friend with his reverse lights.

Open up your hatch and pop the grommet off of both side in the top left between the hatch and the body.  with the grommet off pull each side up or down and check for breaks in the wire at both sides.  My guess is that you have 1 or 2 wires with a partial break in them.  The friend I helped had 4 clearly broken wires and 3 more that had breaks in the wire but not clean through.  But he did have to pull the back panel off, and remove some of the wire stays to get enough slack in the wire to fix them.

• Like 1

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

3 hours ago, tysparks81 said:

Only because I just helped a friend with his reverse lights.

Open up your hatch and pop the grommet off of both side in the top left between the hatch and the body.  with the grommet off pull each side up or down and check for breaks in the wire at both sides.  My guess is that you have 1 or 2 wires with a partial break in them.  The friend I helped had 4 clearly broken wires and 3 more that had breaks in the wire but not clean through.  But he did have to pull the back panel off, and remove some of the wire stays to get enough slack in the wire to fix them.

The tailgate wiring harness is the source of many evils.  However, OP does not have a wagon, and even if he did, his symptoms are not consistent with tailgate wiring issues.  The key is "If i put my shifter in one specific spot, they work."

The problem is at the reverse light switch on the transmission.  Which is not necessarily to say it is the switch itself.  A lobe in the transmission operates the switch, and that lobe wears down a bit after like 200K miles.  In which case you need a thinner washer on the switch.  

Do your diligence - test the switch itself, test operation while shifting in and out of reverse.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, relative4 said:

The tailgate wiring harness is the source of many evils.  However, OP does not have a wagon, and even if he did, his symptoms are not consistent with tailgate wiring issues.  The key is "If i put my shifter in one specific spot, they work."

The problem is at the reverse light switch on the transmission.  Which is not necessarily to say it is the switch itself.  A lobe in the transmission operates the switch, and that lobe wears down a bit after like 200K miles.  In which case you need a thinner washer on the switch.  

Do your diligence - test the switch itself, test operation while shifting in and out of reverse.

Thanks for the attention to details. I appreciate everyones responses. I figure based on my research it's the swtich inside the transmission based on my symptoms. I will get under there this wknd and look. Are you saying the lobe wears down and a thinner washer will extend the lobe deeper into the trans where it needs to go? 

On 10/2/2023 at 2:24 PM, relative4 said:

Great catch, for some reason I thought OP had a wagon, didn't notice that he has a Spec B listed for his model of car.

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

Mine flickered due to the reverse switch in the 5-spd. Started happening around 250K miles I would guess. There were no broken wires. It seems possible that it failed due to gradual ingress of gear oil. Not sure, but I took it out and flushed it out real good with MAF sensor cleaner while working the switch in & out, let it dry then reinstalled. The reverse lights then worked flicker free for about a month, but then got flickery again and eventually completely failed to come on. At least my little experiment confirmed the switch was the culprit, and it's pretty easy to access for replacement so no major effort was expended. I went with a new OEM switch and it has worked normally since.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ScottFW said:

Mine flickered due to the reverse switch in the 5-spd. Started happening around 250K miles I would guess. There were no broken wires. It seems possible that it failed due to gradual ingress of gear oil. Not sure, but I took it out and flushed it out real good with MAF sensor cleaner while working the switch in & out, let it dry then reinstalled. The reverse lights then worked flicker free for about a month, but then got flickery again and eventually completely failed to come on. At least my little experiment confirmed the switch was the culprit, and it's pretty easy to access for replacement so no major effort was expended. I went with a new OEM switch and it has worked normally since.

When you say "switch" where is it located? Screwed into the trans? 

Yes, on the 5-spd they're located on the driver's side about half-way up the transmission case. There are two switches mounted in that general area, the other being the neutral safety switch. The backup light switch is the one towards the front/bellhousing end, mine had a blue and a white wire. A box wrench is the only tool you need to replace it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1