LegacyGT.com

The farq is this noise

Finally managed to capture the noise on camera. After sticking my head out of the window a few times, it sounds like it's coming from the middle of the car. 

In the video (taken by opening the door and sticking the phone down by the rocker), the first "click" is the start of the noise happening, and I use light throttle load to really induce it. I'm in 3rd gear going up a hill, no more than 25mph. 

Thoughts have been drivetrain related. Driveshaft didn't show marks of making contact with anything. It's clearly something spinning, just not sure what. It's spinning quickly, and doesn't really seem to follow rpm or vehicle speed. 

Maybe throw out bearing? But the classic idle squeal isn't present at all. Only during acceleration. 

I've also thought about wheel bearings being the source as they generally seem loud at high speed and squeally coasting to a stop (coasting squeal is likely rear brakes close to replacing). Though I don't think wheel bearings would create this kind of noise as they get closer to failing. 

Other thought is driveshaft bearing, but I'd expect it to be much more speed related. 

Finally, I wonder if it's emitting from inside the transmission. Really don't want to go down that path though. 

Couple other posts from the what did you do thread:  

Sept 4 - 

Hearing a ticking sound under load. Sounds like it's coming from under the car, but haven't been able to identify where. It only lasts a few seconds before I have to get out of throttle. It almost sounds like a bunch of zip ties around the driveshaft. 

Initial visual inspection showed no obvious marks on the drive shafts or axles. 

Wondering what worst case scenario is. Would a turbo going sound like that? It's not really a squeally sound, and performance is still fine. 

Edit: Drove some back roads for boost. No noise. 

Sept 15 - This noise is coming back more routinely, but still intermittent. Idling away or very light throttle, no noise. Noise is starting to be more present in normal acceleration, about 2.5-3k rpms and lasts as long as I keep load the same. As soon as I back out the noise stops. Heavy load maybe noise, but can't hear over exhaust. Will not make noise in neutral while revving the engine.

It's not really temperature, rpm, or speed dependent. It sounds like something rotating while hitting a heat shield or similar thin metal. 

Going to pull the down pipe tomorrow, but open to other ideas. 

Then on checking the turbo shaft on Sept 17 I ruled that out. 

Edited by seanyb505

I couldn't get much out of your video sorry, but I do have a ticking sound on my car that is within the RPM band that you specified in your post. I checked absolutely everything and narrowed it down to a loose wastegate actuator rod on my car. That band is where the actuator of the wastegate is starting to open to control boost when the turbo spools up. My turbo is a stock IHI VF45 of about 130,000kms. 

I could only initially induce the noise after I had been on boost in a previous pull and then tried to put the throttle down in low RPMs. It drove me mad especially in summer with the windows down. What nailed it for me is that I could wiggle the actuator rod with pliers when the engine was off and then drive down the road and the noise would happen in that RPM range for a couple of accelerations until the engine vacuum stuck the wastegate arm shut again. I haven't done anything to remedy it but at least I know that I'm not making my engine detonate. 

Still unsure what's going on here, but I'm starting to be more sure it's not rpm related.

During the morning commute I did some quick rowing through gears once the noise started. Throttle off, clutch in = no noise. Back on throttle, clutch out = noise, but sounds the exact same in gears 2-5, then back through 4 and 3 until traffic mandates it was time to start slowing down. 

Because of how quickly I was shifting, I didn't pick up much speed to determine how closely related to vehicle speed it is. I'd say the whole thing happened between 25-30mph. 

And it continues to be random as to if the noise will appear or not in the load range that it happens in. 

Edited by seanyb505

Starting to think it's no further forward than the middle of the car. Possibly rear. I was driving with windows up (rare for me) and it started to sound like the noise was in the rear. I know a rear bearing is likely needed, so I may try to have a gander while doing that. 

This weekend I had a friend drive while I listened from the back seat. Noise appears to be equal on both sides, and coming from just in front of the rear tires. When moved up to the passenger seat, I was able able to tell I'd moved away from the sound. 

Still no marks/signs of contact or smoking guns. 

I'm thinking start with reading up on failing driveshaft center bearing? 

Original driveshaft?? That's a couple few years on it if so....

If you do get it on stilts, you may be able to pry on it gently and see how much the carrier defects. I am pretty sure it really shouldn't move much at all....

Not a whole lot else in that area to make noise anyway. Maybe u-joints as well? Pull the driveshaft and feel them, see if they're notchy?

Edited by KZJonny

12 hours ago, seanyb505 said:

As far as I know it's original 😂

There's significant movement from what I remember of shaking crap around a few weeks ago.

I should have my OBW on the hoist either tonight or tomorrow. The propshaft in it is scrapyard second hand, but seems to be behaving well anyway... I'll see if I can get an eyeball measurement of how much deflection in the carrier bearing is okay. I want to say when I changed it, it only seemed like maybe a couple mm? (The one on the car that died was ~10 days old from an aftermarket supplier and the carrier bearing blew up on the highway... not a fun morning, and the reason I go to the scrapyard for them now....)

• Like 1

Okay. Outback is on the hoist for some exhaust repair, so I took a quick look at the carrier bearing.

Mine probably had ~5mm of play in it? Which is more than I remembered, but still not LOTS. It's also really quiet when rotated, no noise at all to speak of...

Just a little info anyway. My 0.02 would be to pull the propshaft and inspect. It's not such a bad job overall, and might give you some peace of mind. (I did it on the side of a highway, with just a ramp to make space... like I said, it was a rough morning.)

Thanks. On the way home I got the trademark vibration. Dorman driveshaft 936955 ordered from Rock auto. The driveshaft shop one wasn't that much more expensive, but they only offered two week shipping. $130 more for 1 week shipping. The rock auto one will be here tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure there's way more play than 5mm in my center bearing. I looked in the FSM to see what spec was. It just says "check for any abnormal bearing free play." No indication of what abnormal is. Thx guys.

32 minutes ago, seanyb505 said:

Thanks. On the way home I got the trademark vibration. Dorman driveshaft 936955 ordered from Rock auto. The driveshaft shop one wasn't that much more expensive, but they only offered two week shipping. $130 more for 1 week shipping. The rock auto one will be here tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure there's way more play than 5mm in my center bearing. I looked in the FSM to see what spec was. It just says "check for any abnormal bearing free play." No indication of what abnormal is. Thx guys.

Ah!

Well, there is that. I drove mine on the "vibration" for a little while before I had a chance to replace it, but sooner is better. Might look at the driveshaft shop options when it's time to get one for the GT tho.

It was a RockAuto propshaft the killed itself in.... days.. on my OBW, and while i do not recall the brand, it was not the cheapest on available....

12 minutes ago, RumblyXT said:

Very impressed with this little motor.. getting an increase of almost 4 mpg more than before. Very happy on the $3.95 per gallon savings 😄

7CC0DCB0-5F2B-4CC2-9057-284B35C0350E.jpeg

You sure you're posting in right thread Rumbly?  ;)

• Haha 1

Are you talking about "thedriveshaftstore.com" or the driveshaft shop ? Two different places.  My 05 GT wagon had a propshaft from thedriveshaftstore. The yellow Civic in my avator, had axles from the driveshaft shop. 

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

18 minutes ago, seanyb505 said:

Fedex returned the driveshaft without attempting delivery. Never even got to South Carolina. Oh well. Ordered same one from advanced auto. 

Wow. That's a fail.

Thanks Fedex.

I *really* wish we had Advance Auto up here. We do have CarQuest which is pretty good, and owned by the same people, but it's not the same. Good luck with the second attempt?