LegacyGT.com

Would love some feedback!

Hi All! 

Dicky here.

recently picked up an ‘05 Legacy and have been having a few issues.

I’ve had a problem with the car stalling out at low rpm as soon as the clutch is engaged (low speeds - 1st gear). Once I get going, I’ve not noticed a problem. Vacuum leak? The e-brake doesn’t hold but that may be a simple adjustment. The rear passenger window doesn’t go down. I can hear the motor trying to work, but nothing happens. Most recently, the ABS light has come on. Haven’t had the time to check anything out, but I’m open to suggestions. 

Also, any suggestions for a new head unit would be greatly appreciated. I can’t stand the radio and would kill to listen to my own music. 

Thanks in advance! 

~Dicky

Welcome to the forum. Good choice of new car, tho you’re likely going to have some adventures fixing it all and keeping it running. This forum is great for that tho. Do a google site search for problems, and you’ll probably find something to get you started.

The low speed stall could be a good handful of things, but a vacuum test is a good place to start. DIY methods for this abound. Most recent I saw was @RumblyXT using a cheap cigar and HF pump. Clever. MAF sensor might benefit from a cleaning….?

Window is maybe the motor itself, but taking apart the door card is simple to at least observe what is going on… if nothing is evidently broken, then a quick voltage test to the motor will rule out bad wiring. Probably lots of motors available at a local scrapyard….

ABS code can be confirmed by looking at Cxxx codes using the built in code reader. That will give you a place to start. (Hold down the travel odometer pin while the gauges sweep after turning the car on…. You’ll figure it out)   If you are lucky, it is just a bad sensor on one wheel. Easy to replace, and a common failure. If not, like me who has had an ABS light for months now, there is a diagnostic tree you can follow to figure out where the fault lies. Start with the easy checks then do that if required.

The only ‘easy’ options to do a new head unit if you have automatic climate control are to swap to a newer, ‘07-09 OEM stereo that has an aux port, and find the wiring to make that work, or install a JDM or aftermarket bezel that has the climate controls separate from the radio. There are a few options, and they are well documented on the site.

Good luck with the maintenance work. Putting the year and trim of your car in your signature will help other to troubleshoot you as well, since there are some differences between model years.

Oh, and parking brake has starwheel adjusters accessible from the inside of the rear brake dust sheild for the e-brake shoes, and an adjuster nut for cable tension underneath the centre console around the gear selector/stick. Take up the slack with the adjustor first, then adjust the shoes so they engage, but do not drag….

• Like 3

image.thumb.png.adfe6191b22b49f578619c15fd63ae8c.png

That should help. ;)  That was posted years ago by a great member, I believe he was the guy who put a Buick V6 in his Legacy.

• Like 3

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That last wheel speed sensor I installed came from NAPA I believe it was the left rear. I googled the OEM part number for the sensor, and the search showed NAPA had them.

For the head unit,

https://www.legacygt.com/forum/17-interioraudio/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2023 at 2:02 PM, Dicky said:

Also, any suggestions for a new head unit would be greatly appreciated. I can’t stand the radio and would kill to listen to my own music. 

If you're like me and are planning a head unit install but just can't find the motivation, pick up a cheap bluetooth radio transmitter to tide you over until the time that you get that head unit.

Grab a small one off Amazon, tune it to an empty FM band and leave it plugged into the 12v socket in the center console 24/7 to keep it out of sight. Works a treat, and lets you charge your phone too if you're ok with an unsecured cable.