LegacyGT.com

Turbo inlet slipping.

In the beginning of June I installed a Perrin turbo inlet on my 2006 Legacy gt.  A few times a week I've been having to readjust the inlet and tighten the clamp back down due to it slipping off the snout of the turbo.

Right now I've been using the original clamp but have been looking into other ways to secure this thing to the turbo.  

I get the inlet fully seated on the turbo but within a few days it slips back a good half inch.  Does anyone have any recommendations on clamp types/sizes that might work better?

Edited by ohno06gt
Grammar

I'll assume you have cleaned the OD on the metal really well and also the ID of the hose ?

I use hose clamps made by Breeze. 

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yes I cleaned both surfaces with isopropyl alcohol.  Thinking about trying a t-bolt clamp or something similar.  

I just have to be careful when replacing the clamp.  The vacuum fitting on the compressor housing is directly below the inlet.  I swapped clamps a few weeks ago and ended up tearing the vaccum line.  Had to pull the turbo to reconnect the line.

1 hour ago, shralp said:

Murray Constant tension clamps work quite well. I’ve swapped them at critical spots. You can find dealers on EBay, etc. https://www.murraycorp.com/dual-bead-shield-constant-tension-clamp

Very cool. I had switched some of my various aged out worm clamps to t-clamps in a few spots, mainly cooling but i dont' like how much space the bolt tends to occupy even when the clamp is sized really well for the job. (They were SS and available locally, and are doing the job... but....) Guess I've got to start looking around for a source for these now. Ha!

I am in the middle of putting my 05 back together with the Perrin inlet. I had a HUGE problem with their provided PCV connector as It was twice as tall as the factory one and then had the electrical connector on the top, instead of the side. There is NO WAY it was going to fit under the intake. I ended up cutting the factory one out of the old inlet tube and adding a 1/2" nipple to the bottom of it so I could use it on the Perrin tube. 

They are a pain. I was not a fan of the Perrin.  I preferred the AVO, but I think they are no longer available. 

Easiest to remove the manifold.  You have tension pulling away from the turbo. Pull the manifold and you can adjust and add the pressure towards the turbo.  Always pull the manifold for an inlet tube install.  Do it once, with less frustration.