LegacyGT.com

Fuel Delivery Issues; Stranded in NM

Hello, posting this where it will get the most attention the quickest. 

The car is a 2006 Outback 2.5i. I'm pretty convinced I'm having fuel delivery issues. 

Symptoms: Cylinder 4 misfire pending code. The car shutdown on itself some 10mi later. Restarted after a few tries to crank it over, at speed. So I kept driving in attempts to limp it to Gallup, NM. Another 10mi later, the same thing happened. Restarted, and kept going before the car eventually died a third and final time, never again to start under cranking except for maybe a split second —as if drinking the last few drips of fuel from the lines. 

What I've done: 

- checked/replaced plugs with NGK equivalent

- replaced ignition coil (mind you, I had one on hand so I replaced it to say I did, even though the car's ignition system seems fine) 

- verified theres fuel in the tank by visual inspection

- replaced the fuel pump/level sending unit assembly (and heard it prime)

- reconnected/attached all lines and connectors as they were

- watched fuel come out post-FPR under the hood (I don't have a gauge to monitor pressure of the fuel)

- verified the rails and injectors were being fed by fuel

- checked the fuel pump fuse relay under the hood, it was intact. (Wasn't sure of any other fuses/relays to check)

*And after all this I still cranked it and it didn't start. It wanted to start, and sputtered and tried.*

Lastly, I sprayed carb cleaner down the intake and it fired right up. Spark and air exist, it's gotta be fuel related.

Anything helps at this point. It's going to be a long 24hrs, and I'm planning to leave my car in New Mexico at this point. FML.

What wisdom can any of you offer?

TYIA

MILKRUN  - Click Here

That sucks man, sorry to hear.

You pretty much verified that fuel is going all the way to the injectors.  I'd try to troubleshoot that area maybe.

IIRC there may be a fuse for the fuel injection system.  It may be worth it to check the fuse panels.

Also, no codes?  No code reader at this time?

EDIT: Google doesnt show a fuse for fuel injection for this model, maybe check fuse 12 in the in-car panel (engine control unit) and fuse 13 in the engine bay fuse panel (engine control unit)

Edited by Scubaboo
  • Like 1

I wish I was a little more prepared. I've been wanting to put an under-the-hood gauge to read fuel pressure for so long, and just haven't. I also stopped carrying a multimeter with me when I moved recently. Shame on me. 

@Scubaboo no codes came up on my code reader, which remains plugged into the car during normal operation.

The thought of attempting to start it with the MAF unplugged, had never ever crossed my mind. What does this do?

MILKRUN  - Click Here

1 hour ago, silverton said:

cam and/or crank sensors potentially

This came up in my train of thought, but since I didn't receive any codes for them, I wasn't paying them any attention. Either way, the car is now out of my hands, and in that of Garcia Subaru in Albuquerque, NM. Y'all are more than welcome to drop stickers or signatures in paint pen all over it if you find it lol. 

MILKRUN  - Click Here

3 hours ago, Febreze Mee said:

@Scubaboo no codes came up on my code reader, which remains plugged into the car during normal operation.

The thought of attempting to start it with the MAF unplugged, had never ever crossed my mind. What does this do?

On other cars I've had, a faulty MAF can cause a fuel delivery problem all the way to stalls and unplugging it defaults them (and I believe on Subarus also) to closed loop fueling.  

Just a quick thing that may help in diagnosing and maybe get you moving.

Some of those MAF failures did not throw codes.

I've also had stalls with crank and cam sensors on other cars as others noted.  But for me typically these cut spark too and you observing having spark ignition with starter fluid seems to contradict it though.  But it could be anything at this point of course.

Some of those cam/cranks sensors dont throw codes either.

EDIT: Saw the car is at the dealer already.  Hope its something simple and not expensive.  Good luck!

Edited by Scubaboo
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 6:10 AM, NORULZleggy said:

I clean my MAF on all three of my cars twice a year. An old mechanic swear by it, and he said he did it to many of his customer cars, and they had very few problems. CRC MAF cleaner

Ah, yes! I cleaned the MAF with that product last month. I did put another 11,000mi on it since, but I didn't drive through any dusty conditions. 

MILKRUN  - Click Here

30 minutes ago, blackobxt said:

Passed through Gallup this morning on my 14hr drive home. Hope you are doing well and it’s figured out.

Thanks brother! Finally, got ahold of the dealer yesterday, and was informed my cars ticket was up next. They'll be seeing it today, or Tuesday at the latest. 

• Like 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here

3 hours ago, blackobxt said:

I do have to ask, what the hell were you doing in NM? That’s gotta be one of my least favorite places to drive through.

I pass through NM on my way from Tacoma, Washington to Texas for vacation once or twice a year.

I LITERALLY tell everyone this exact same thing when I drive to and fro Texas. I absolutely hate driving through NM. I'll opt for Colorado next time pending their weather systems. 

2 hours ago, Infosecdad said:

Did you figure out what happened?

I hadn't talked to the dealer today. I'll update here when I do talk to them, come Tuesday.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

• 1 month later...

Welp! I received the car back via a car transporter two weekends ago. After three weeks in the dealers possession, I was sick of it just sitting there not being tended to, so I shipped it back up to WA. One week in, the techs went out to the car and it fired right up. They didn't bother to look into it any further, even after I explained to them a second time the exact issues I knew I was having, and the suspected issues. I requested a simple fuel pressure reading at the rails, and a few gallons of gas for them to test drive the vehicle. None of the above was provided, and the car subsequently sat for two more weeks before it was loaded onto a trailer. Very frustrating experience!

The positives are: the dealership paid the bill, they honored my request to not wash the car, and they provided relatively safe harbor for the car for three weeks. 

The negatives are: the issue is IT'S STILL A MYSTERY! I'm out $2500 for this elusive issue. I've put a 1500+ miles on it in the last two weeks with nothing showing cause for concern, and now I'm scared drive it out of state.

Can anyone add anything to what's already been discussed in this thread? Possible causes? Blind-spots in analysis?

It was not mentioned earlier, and it's not insignificant, but it was an average of 101*F from early afternoon to late afternoon the day I was stranded. I was driving between 70-80mph for over 8hrs in total before the car quit on me. It was also given a 15min rest every 4hrs, at a fuel stop. Coolant temp was between 194-212*F (90-100*C), and oil temp between 230-245*F (110-118*C).

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Glad you have your car back. I dislike going to dealers for this very same reason. Not saying all technicians are bad, but it’s a hit and miss type of thing.. so I particularly do not trust dealers. I try doing most basic maintenance/services to my cars on my own. Of course your car’s issue is not a basic service and requires a more in depth analysis, but I’m sure someone here sooner or later will come up with the solution. Staying tuned for the results..

PS: what about a clogged fuel filter inside the pump?

Edited by RumblyXT

5 hours ago, RumblyXT said:

Glad you have your car back. I dislike going to dealers for this very same reason. Not saying all technicians are bad, but it’s a hit and miss type of thing.. so I particularly do not trust dealers. I try doing most basic maintenance/services to my cars on my own. Of course your car’s issue is not a basic service and requires a more in depth analysis, but I’m sure someone here sooner or later will come up with the solution. Staying tuned for the results..

PS: what about a clogged fuel filter inside the pump?

This makes two of us.

I changed the fuel filter on the side of the interstate, and attempted to start the car later in the evening after it had a chance to fully cool. 

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Re-read.  Gong out on a limb here as it is a 2.5i and not a turbo car.  I have not had this specific issue with a 2.5i, however....   I have had turbo cars that DID NOT throw a code, but lost the connection to the crank angle sensor.  More than once I had to reach my hand under the hot arse alternator to wiggle the connection and voila.  Car will not run or start if it loses the crank angle sensor.   Misfires would also be expected if the connection was intermittent. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, m sprank said:

Re-read.  Gong out on a limb here as it is a 2.5i and not a turbo car.  I have not had this specific issue with a 2.5i, however....   I have had turbo cars that DID NOT throw a code, but lost the connection to the crank angle sensor.  More than once I had to reach my hand under the hot arse alternator to wiggle the connection and voila.  Car will not run or start if it loses the crank angle sensor.   Misfires would also be expected if the connection was intermittent. 

Stowing this knowledge away for the next time. Thanks Mike!

• Like 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here