LegacyGT.com

Install 05 STI Steering Rack Bushings

BoxerGT2.5

Awesome. I didn't even realize that Whiteline made bushings for the newer style racks. I'll have to get a set.

Just one question though are you pulling the rack completely off the steering shaft coupling? If so people should make sure they line things up the same way when they reinstall it so that the steering wheel stays aligned.

Not pulling it out completely, droping it maybe 5-10mm.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed that my car now has a very slight (almost imperceptable) pull to the right since replacing the bushings. Has anybody else noticed this? Any ideas on what might be the solution? As I said, it's barely noticable but I can tell it's there.

Chris

does this make the steering tighter? this is my only complaint about the legacy gt, the steering feels too light to me. Does it make it feel more like bmw's steering.. how much tighter is it? i test drove the new jetta gli and i swear even that had the german steering feel, for it was much tighter and had a good on center feel...

does this make the steering tighter? this is my only complaint about the legacy gt, the steering feels too light to me. Does it make it feel more like bmw's steering.. how much tighter is it? i test drove the new jetta gli and i swear even that had the german steering feel, for it was much tighter and had a good on center feel...

Yes

Does this have to be done without the weight on the front wheels or can I do it on ramps? The instructions just say "raise the front of vehicle and support on chasis stands".... I read that to mean no weight on wheels.

Jack Stands

Whoever installed the bushings and uncoupled the rack from the steering shaft didn't mark the friggin' thing. One guy accidentally forgot to do this and was able to remove his steering wheel and straighten it. Except you gotta mess with airbag shizzle.

Archived