LegacyGT.com

Install 05 STI Steering Rack Bushings

BoxerGT2.5

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great write-up! Thanks Boxer. I JUST ordered this set for my STi last night and will be ordering a set for the LGT if all is well.

I have heard it can be a real bear getting the stock bushings out, but once it's done, it's cake from there.

I did this mod to my old '04 WRX and was blown away by the crispness and precision steering benfits! Looking forward to it!

I just put mine in today. The bushings did not come with the removal tool that Boxer used. This added quite a bit to the install time (removal time, actually). Having never touched any steering component in any car before, I'd have to say that it wasn't that bad of a job. As for the torque specs, I couldn't find them either. Judging by how tight everything was on there to begin with (I had to put a lot of force on my two foot breaker bar to get them loose) I just tightened them down (with the same breaker bar) until it was getting difficult to turn them anymore. I'll be checking it in a week to make sure everything is still just as tight. If anybody does fine the correct torque specs, please pass them along.

The steering does feel a little bit tighter...about $40 worth of tightness I'd say :icon_bigg

Chris

Great thread guys..

I plan on doing this on my LGT as well, miss the stiffness and closer ratio steering from my S4, this might fix it...

Hmmmm very interesting...

When you think you know quite a few mods, there is always the search bottom heehehehhehe

Cheers all, and happy 2006!!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

only a little bit tighter? do u feel it was worth it?

I actually just got back from driving it a little further than my initial test drive and I think it is definitely worth it. It feels like small changes in the position of the steering wheel are sent to the wheels a bit quicker than before (i.e. no slop as Boxer said earlier). My first test drive with it was only for about a mile so I didn't get a chance to get up to higher speeds or do much turning.

why didn't they come with the tools? I'd call the vendor.

I looked at the instructions that came with the bushings from Whiteline and they don't even mention this tool on the list of what's included. Maybe it's an older rev and they've only started including the tool with newer versions (or vice versa). I'm not too concerned now as I was able to do it without it. It would have been nice to know in advance how difficult it is to get the old bushings out without the tool so I could have alloted more time. As I said earlier, all in all, it was not that bad...just plan on a bit more time if you don't have the bushing puller tool. I ended up using something similar to a large easy-out to start the entire bushing spinning and then used a little downward force to pop it out.

Chris

I looked at the instructions that came with the bushings from Whiteline and they don't even mention this tool on the list of what's included. Maybe it's an older rev and they've only started including the tool with newer versions (or vice versa). I'm not too concerned now as I was able to do it without it. It would have been nice to know in advance how difficult it is to get the old bushings out without the tool so I could have alloted more time. As I said earlier, all in all, it was not that bad...just plan on a bit more time if you don't have the bushing puller tool. I ended up using something similar to a large easy-out to start the entire bushing spinning and then used a little downward force to pop it out.

Chris

There are two packages: 1. The bushings 2. The removal tool. Both with their own set of instructions, hence why it's not listed in the bushing instructions. I'd advise anyone who orders to find out ahead of time.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Holy smokes. I just put these bushings in my '05 STi and it made a HUGE difference. Precision! I immediately noticed a difference-no steering delay anymore. One heck of a 2.5 hour install without the tool. :)

I will be ordering another set for the LGT immediately - it's that good.

DO IT!

I just took a ride in both cars. The LGT's steering always felt a little crisper and precise than my STi's...well, now I would say the STi's steering is as good if not better than the LGT's. I cannot imagine how the LGT feels with these bushings! I'm ordering up a set right now.

sgt - that's a good idea - I'll have to try that on this next go-around.

There are two packages: 1. The bushings 2. The removal tool. Both with their own set of instructions, hence why it's not listed in the bushing instructions. I'd advise anyone who orders to find out ahead of time.

Are there 2 part numbers?

I'll have Deepfreeze and Rclark drive the car at the meet this week so they can give their impressions as well. :D
To each their own. With that said, I am in total agreement that this is a worthwhile mod after driving Boxer's car. Not expensive, and an immediate improvement in steering feel. It is far easier to spend a lot more $$$ on mods that will/may not be used to their full potential, here's one that anyone who wants to "tighten up" their steering feel can do on the cheap and in a short amount of time. Gotta get me some of those.:icon_bigg
:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

I just ordered two sets from P&L - one for my car and one for Highwaydrifters (to save on shipping). A local vendor sells them without the tool and says it's not necessary (maybe not but 1hr > 3 hrs). P&L only sells them with the tool.

I just ordered two sets from P&L - one for my car and one for Highwaydrifters (to save on shipping). A local vendor sells them without the tool and says it's not necessary (maybe not but 1hr > 3 hrs). P&L only sells them with the tool.

Does this mean you don't want me to mail my tool to you? :lol:

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Awesome. I didn't even realize that Whiteline made bushings for the newer style racks. I'll have to get a set.

Just one question though are you pulling the rack completely off the steering shaft coupling? If so people should make sure they line things up the same way when they reinstall it so that the steering wheel stays aligned.

Archived