LegacyGT.com

Rumor Confirmation: "sports" edition soon?

A friend of mine said there will be a "sports" edition coming out soon with stiffer suspension and a freer flowing cat-back exhaust (adding considerable hp gain)? Only available with manual tranny. Anyone else hear this? I think he's tripping. Perhaps it is an aftermarket package that this specific dealer is going to offer?

Nobody knows, or has heard anything. One board member, waflowers, seems to have an inside track that mentioned (some time back now) a mythical "Big Boy" that was definitely coming. But we've heard nothing further, and the board member in question is swamped with work. There is also the persistent Legacy STi rumor, even reports of a turbocharged H6 undergoing testing in Canada. Ultimately, nobody knows anything, and as with the Legacy GT, which was being chatted about for more than a year before its actual introduction, nobody will know anything until the car actually shows up, or is officially announced by Subaru. Frankly, with only an initial 12% sales spike generated by the new Legacy/Outback, the bottom line isn't telling Subaru that people want more, or even the Legacy GT that they already have. Notice that Chrysler sold more 300Cs from mid-April to the end of July than was predicted for a 12-month period. Now THAT's a sales jump. :lol: The WRX took off like a rocket, which demonstrated to Subaru that this market was hungry for a hi-po Impreza, not to mention the mod-craziness. So far, the Legacy has decidedly not taken off like a rocket. In the first month of ownership of my WRX, I was seeing them all over the place. In the first month of my Legacy GT ownership, I have yet to see another one on the road. I did see an OBXT in a gas station while walking to dinner one night, but the Legacy has yet to reach the near-ubiquity of the WRX. Further, Subaru would be insane to come out with a sports model so soon after the introduction of the new car. The people who bought one, who might have bought a sports version, would feel like turkeys, and might actually harbor enmity against Subaru for not notifying current owners of this car's existence. Also, cat-backs can't add considerable hp gain, for the record. They can add some, measurable on the dyno, but that's about it. Your friend is "tripping," methinks. But as rumors of a "better" Legacy GT become more persistent, they could indeed hinder sales of the regular, quite spectacular GT as people sit on the fence, waiting for a "faster" GT, further harming the possibility that a "better" GT could come. Which is really funny, when you think about it. I have said before and will say again. The best way to help a hot-rodded Legacy GT come here is to buy a current Legacy GT. In two or three years, sales numbers willing, we'll almost certainly see a hotted-up GT. Personally, I would be the next GT iteration will be an H6 Legacy, perhaps with the STi's 6-speed box, as Subaru has done in Europe and other markets. Kevin

To be honest, I'm not real impressed with Subaru's ad campaign, nor its lack of presence in the mainstream automotive press. The 300C has done far better in those departments... not to mention the nostalgia factor of a big american RWD car with a Hemi.

Sport model might get me to sell my 04 wrx and change to the legacy :twisted: One of my complaints with the LGT after my test drive was it was a bit soft for me. Been following the spec b, seems like what they should bring as the sport model. Might prefer the 2.5T over the NA 3.0 though. Hi racerdave :D

[quote name='Jeff_DML']Sport model might get me to sell my 04 wrx and change to the legacy :twisted: One of my complaints with the LGT after my test drive was it was a bit soft for me. Been following the spec b, seems like what they should bring as the sport model. Might prefer the 2.5T over the NA 3.0 though. Hi racerdave :D[/quote] So why not just get a GT and mod? :twisted:

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='Jeff_DML']Sport model might get me to sell my 04 wrx and change to the legacy :twisted: One of my complaints with the LGT after my test drive was it was a bit soft for me. Been following the spec b, seems like what they should bring as the sport model. Might prefer the 2.5T over the NA 3.0 though. Hi racerdave :D[/quote] So why not just get a GT and mod? :twisted:[/quote] yeah I might of done that if I just didnt get my 04 wrx about a year ago. Been modding it quite a bit.:twisted: But it is also nice to buy a car that fits my needs without needing to mod it. IMHO, My wife's 325iT is a good example.

While I concur with Kevin's logic on more sale of 05 GTs will lead to hot-rodded versions etc. Part of me wants this lil gem to be a secret. I really didn't like how the WRX fame soared to the point that these rally-wannabe afficionados buy the car thinking 2002 is the first time that Impreza got a turbo. It would certainly turn me off when I start to read BOV threads on legacysti.com! Arrghh! ps: there are 2 WR-STi undergoing testings North of Buffalo. Just wait and see guys. And it won't be cheap! at least to me.

I would buy a Legacy STi in a heartbeat provided it had a normal looking wing or a wing as an option. I want the speed, braking, and handling of the WRX STi and I want the grown up look of the Legacy. That's why the Mazdaspeed version of the Mazda6 might make a nice competitor against the new Leg. GT. For me, it will all depend on how sporty the make the Mazda. The rumored hp. figure (270 ish) sound perfect, now it just needs to handle well and look good. I'd like to see some big brakes and 18" wheels on it as well.

I was all set to buy a 300C when I decided to try out the Legacy GT, "just to be sure". Well, now I'm sure - I want the Legacy! I think I'll like the modability of the turbo more, and the 5MT, and the AWD. Sure, the 300C will soon be available with AWD but that'll put the price over $35k. I can pockt that money and drop some of it on mods. I almost spent $4k to supercharge my Grand Marquis. It'd run mid 13s all day long. In the end though, the combination of power + AWD is what I want to keep. It's what I've had for over 12 years so why change?

There is no confirmed "Sports" edition. There was a large meeting this week with several complaints that there was not enough "performance" accessories availible for the car. Many dealers are selling their allocations quickly and the buyers are asking over-and-over for performance accessories from the dealer...hopefully SOA takes note quickly...

I'd love to see more factory performance parts for sure. A suspension package would definitely be looked at very closely, especially if it was about 20% stiffer springs with a slightly smaller front sway bar. Should give even better handling without that snap oversteer of stiffer rear bars. :) That's the first one off the top of my head. There are likely others. Will speak my peace after next weekends AutoX though for a better informed opinion.

That's an idea... buy a Legacy so I can help another guy buy a Legacy better than mine :lol: [quote name='gtguy']Nobody knows, or has heard anything. One board member, waflowers, seems to have an inside track that mentioned (some time back now) a mythical "Big Boy" that was definitely coming. But we've heard nothing further, and the board member in question is swamped with work. There is also the persistent Legacy STi rumor, even reports of a turbocharged H6 undergoing testing in Canada. Ultimately, nobody knows anything, and as with the Legacy GT, which was being chatted about for more than a year before its actual introduction, nobody will know anything until the car actually shows up, or is officially announced by Subaru. Frankly, with only an initial 12% sales spike generated by the new Legacy/Outback, the bottom line isn't telling Subaru that people want more, or even the Legacy GT that they already have. Notice that Chrysler sold more 300Cs from mid-April to the end of July than was predicted for a 12-month period. Now THAT's a sales jump. :lol: The WRX took off like a rocket, which demonstrated to Subaru that this market was hungry for a hi-po Impreza, not to mention the mod-craziness. So far, the Legacy has decidedly not taken off like a rocket. In the first month of ownership of my WRX, I was seeing them all over the place. In the first month of my Legacy GT ownership, I have yet to see another one on the road. I did see an OBXT in a gas station while walking to dinner one night, but the Legacy has yet to reach the near-ubiquity of the WRX. Further, Subaru would be insane to come out with a sports model so soon after the introduction of the new car. The people who bought one, who might have bought a sports version, would feel like turkeys, and might actually harbor enmity against Subaru for not notifying current owners of this car's existence. Also, cat-backs can't add considerable hp gain, for the record. They can add some, measurable on the dyno, but that's about it. Your friend is "tripping," methinks. But as rumors of a "better" Legacy GT become more persistent, they could indeed hinder sales of the regular, quite spectacular GT as people sit on the fence, waiting for a "faster" GT, further harming the possibility that a "better" GT could come. Which is really funny, when you think about it. I have said before and will say again. The best way to help a hot-rodded Legacy GT come here is to buy a current Legacy GT. In two or three years, sales numbers willing, we'll almost certainly see a hotted-up GT. Personally, I would be the next GT iteration will be an H6 Legacy, perhaps with the STi's 6-speed box, as Subaru has done in Europe and other markets. Kevin[/quote]

[quote name='bbvoxfan']That's an idea... buy a Legacy so I can help another guy buy a Legacy better than mine :lol: [quote name='gtguy']Nobody knows, or has heard anything. One board member, waflowers, seems to have an inside track that mentioned (some time back now) a mythical "Big Boy" that was definitely coming. But we've heard nothing further, and the board member in question is swamped with work. There is also the persistent Legacy STi rumor, even reports of a turbocharged H6 undergoing testing in Canada. Ultimately, nobody knows anything, and as with the Legacy GT, which was being chatted about for more than a year before its actual introduction, nobody will know anything until the car actually shows up, or is officially announced by Subaru. Frankly, with only an initial 12% sales spike generated by the new Legacy/Outback, the bottom line isn't telling Subaru that people want more, or even the Legacy GT that they already have. Notice that Chrysler sold more 300Cs from mid-April to the end of July than was predicted for a 12-month period. Now THAT's a sales jump. :lol: The WRX took off like a rocket, which demonstrated to Subaru that this market was hungry for a hi-po Impreza, not to mention the mod-craziness. So far, the Legacy has decidedly not taken off like a rocket. In the first month of ownership of my WRX, I was seeing them all over the place. In the first month of my Legacy GT ownership, I have yet to see another one on the road. I did see an OBXT in a gas station while walking to dinner one night, but the Legacy has yet to reach the near-ubiquity of the WRX. Further, Subaru would be insane to come out with a sports model so soon after the introduction of the new car. The people who bought one, who might have bought a sports version, would feel like turkeys, and might actually harbor enmity against Subaru for not notifying current owners of this car's existence. Also, cat-backs can't add considerable hp gain, for the record. They can add some, measurable on the dyno, but that's about it. Your friend is "tripping," methinks. But as rumors of a "better" Legacy GT become more persistent, they could indeed hinder sales of the regular, quite spectacular GT as people sit on the fence, waiting for a "faster" GT, further harming the possibility that a "better" GT could come. Which is really funny, when you think about it. I have said before and will say again. The best way to help a hot-rodded Legacy GT come here is to buy a current Legacy GT. In two or three years, sales numbers willing, we'll almost certainly see a hotted-up GT. Personally, I would be the next GT iteration will be an H6 Legacy, perhaps with the STi's 6-speed box, as Subaru has done in Europe and other markets. Kevin[/quote][/quote] No, you also will have the choice. It isn't as if the high-performance Legacy is going to be a limited edition. But all that fence-sitting, waiting for the "mo better" car does is ensure that it will never come. Kevin

Legacy STi w/ EJ257, 3.0 turbo or 3.7. Figures should be at least 300-300. WR Blue available, 6MT, etc. BUT-- don't make it a single cloth interior, or put a big spoiler on it. And MAKE A WAGON please. Need an Impreza STi wagon too. As if someone is important listening. Impreza STi = Evo competitor Legacy STi = M3/5, Mazdaspeed 6, etc. competitor (so nice leather, sunroof, etc. save the Impreza for your stripped racer.) .02

Almost forgot- When I was at the Ride and Drive, when some people asked one of the guys about the Leg STi, he replied "We cannot deny that we are looking into higher performance versions of the Legacy." [quote name='gtguy'][quote name='bbvoxfan']That's an idea... buy a Legacy so I can help another guy buy a Legacy better than mine :lol: [quote name='gtguy']Nobody knows, or has heard anything. One board member, waflowers, seems to have an inside track that mentioned (some time back now) a mythical "Big Boy" that was definitely coming. But we've heard nothing further, and the board member in question is swamped with work. There is also the persistent Legacy STi rumor, even reports of a turbocharged H6 undergoing testing in Canada. Ultimately, nobody knows anything, and as with the Legacy GT, which was being chatted about for more than a year before its actual introduction, nobody will know anything until the car actually shows up, or is officially announced by Subaru. Frankly, with only an initial 12% sales spike generated by the new Legacy/Outback, the bottom line isn't telling Subaru that people want more, or even the Legacy GT that they already have. Notice that Chrysler sold more 300Cs from mid-April to the end of July than was predicted for a 12-month period. Now THAT's a sales jump. :lol: The WRX took off like a rocket, which demonstrated to Subaru that this market was hungry for a hi-po Impreza, not to mention the mod-craziness. So far, the Legacy has decidedly not taken off like a rocket. In the first month of ownership of my WRX, I was seeing them all over the place. In the first month of my Legacy GT ownership, I have yet to see another one on the road. I did see an OBXT in a gas station while walking to dinner one night, but the Legacy has yet to reach the near-ubiquity of the WRX. Further, Subaru would be insane to come out with a sports model so soon after the introduction of the new car. The people who bought one, who might have bought a sports version, would feel like turkeys, and might actually harbor enmity against Subaru for not notifying current owners of this car's existence. Also, cat-backs can't add considerable hp gain, for the record. They can add some, measurable on the dyno, but that's about it. Your friend is "tripping," methinks. But as rumors of a "better" Legacy GT become more persistent, they could indeed hinder sales of the regular, quite spectacular GT as people sit on the fence, waiting for a "faster" GT, further harming the possibility that a "better" GT could come. Which is really funny, when you think about it. I have said before and will say again. The best way to help a hot-rodded Legacy GT come here is to buy a current Legacy GT. In two or three years, sales numbers willing, we'll almost certainly see a hotted-up GT. Personally, I would be the next GT iteration will be an H6 Legacy, perhaps with the STi's 6-speed box, as Subaru has done in Europe and other markets. Kevin[/quote][/quote] No, you also will have the choice. It isn't as if the high-performance Legacy is going to be a limited edition. But all that fence-sitting, waiting for the "mo better" car does is ensure that it will never come. Kevin[/quote]

[quote name='bbvoxfan']Almost forgot- When I was at the Ride and Drive, when some people asked one of the guys about the Leg STi, he replied "We cannot deny that we are looking into higher performance versions of the Legacy." [/quote] :banana:

[quote name='Opie']There is no confirmed "Sports" edition. There was a large meeting this week with several complaints that there was not enough "performance" accessories availible for the car. Many dealers are selling their allocations quickly and the buyers are asking over-and-over for performance accessories from the dealer...hopefully SOA takes note quickly...[/quote] Oooooooh, I sense another MaD POwEr SPT $800 "performance" muffler in the future. "This will give them performance!" :roll:

Archived