LegacyGT.com

Mediocre FM reception--any thoughts?

biturbowagon

When I bought my LGT, I knew that I was taking a step downward in stereo quality. I decided to bite the bullet and tolerate it for now, with the possibility of pursuing aftermarket options in the future.

But I am quite disappointed with the FM reception. For example, my favorite classical station, whose transmitter is located only a few miles away and is quite powerful, is regularly staticky. It's a problem with other stations as well.

This is not at all a problem with my Audi (with the Bose system), nor with other cars in which I have driven.

Anyone else have similar problems? I STFA, but didn't come up with a thread on point.

TIA.

Yep, I think the FM reception sucks in this car. I lose reception in areas that came in nice and strong in my old Volvo or either of my Jeeps. Even the freakin 32 year old Philco factory AM/FM radio in my 1973 Triumph gets better reception. I had a 74 Chevy once that had the antenna in the glass (windshield), it was a bad idea then and it's still a bad idea now.

I"ve had no issues, but is there anyway to install an antenna on the roof?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

The reception of the in-glass antenna in my Legacy is far better than any other vehicle I've driven. I think it works exceptionally well, especially considering the mountainous terrain in my area.

I was even able to pull in Pittsburgh radio stations very clearly and in stereo over 90 miles away from the transmitters when I drove to Somerset last week. My Chevy Trailblazer with an external antenna receives pure static in the same area.

Do you guys have tinted windows or something? :confused:

This would apply to anyone who had their car tinted with metallic film only.

Also, some of you folks should check to make sure that the antenna traces aren't cut or scratched in any way. This obviously would affect reception in a big way.

I haven't noticed. I'll try turning on both the radio and the rear defroster and listen to what happens.

it's the antenna built into the rear window - it sucks. Does it get worse when you turn on your rear defrost?

Some people have gotten the rear windows replaced under warranty for this reason.

No tinted windows. My car is completely stock.

I got plenty of bursts of static while driving today. In comparison, my Audi picks up this station better when 60 miles away than the Subaru does here in town. :icon_frow

The reception of the in-glass antenna in my Legacy is far better than any other vehicle I've driven. I think it works exceptionally well, especially considering the mountainous terrain in my area.

I was even able to pull in Pittsburgh radio stations very clearly and in stereo over 90 miles away from the transmitters when I drove to Somerset last week. My Chevy Trailblazer with an external antenna receives pure static in the same area.

No tinted windows. My car is completely stock.

I got plenty of bursts of static while driving today. In comparison, my Audi picks up this station better when 60 miles away than the Subaru does here in town. :icon_frow

Maybe your antenna is disconnected from the radio. It might not be the best, but it's not that bad. Have the dealer take a peek.

My Acura got better reception and it didn't have an external antenna. My Accord is the same way. The LGT hasn't been a supreme disappointment, but it is true that my favorite radio station doesn't come in very well on the way to work like it did in my last car. I also blame the radio station's weak signal. It wasn't super clear on the Acura or the Accord either, but it came in better than the Legacy. Any way to boost the signal?

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Since you can't replace the receiver for one with better sensitivity and selectivity, you'll have to work with trying to optimize the antenna signal. Unfortunately, I think the Legacy already uses a pre-amp on the antenna to boost its signal, so there's really not much left that can be done without going to satellite or some form of external antenna (and the wiring mess that would probably need).

NPR.

Gotta listen to Car Talk. BTW, they're Subaru fans. 4 Foresters > Audi A8.

Hijack: They're far from Subaru fans. Remember when they lashed out at Subaru for introducing the WRX? They thought 227 HP was absolutely unnecessary and Subaru should have been ashamed of themselves for putting out such a high horsepower car in 2002. :rolleyes:

4 years later, thanks to Subaru, high-horsepower cars are very common and sought after (SRT-4, Cobalt SS, RSX-S, and so on).

On-Topic: You guys with reception problems might want to double check your antenna connections. Those who experience static while the rear defroster is turned on probably have a grounding issue.

On-Topic: You guys with reception problems might want to double check your antenna connections. Those who experience static while the rear defroster is turned on probably have a grounding issue.

Ding!

2005 Legacy/Outback wagons with VIN's PRIOR to 5*373702 have a revised antenna ground wire TSB. Cars built after this VIN # already have this updated part.

P/N: 81831AG100

TSB # 15-115-05

Also, all Legacy/Outback models (Sedan or Wagon) have Antenna Amplifiers. If they are not connected and/or grounded securly, your reception will suffer.

Sedan's are mounted above the left rear quarter glass, behind the trim panel and behind the curtain air bag...I wouldn't recomend trying to access it...

Wagon's are mounted behind the rear hatch trim.

Antenna Booster Page

and last but not least...any type of metallic window tint will severly effect the in-glass antenna's ability to get a good signal. If you get you windows tinted, be sure to have them use a non-metallic tint.

I'll check on that. Thanks! It sure would be nice if the problem were that easy to solve.

I experimented with using the rear defroster, but noticed no difference. I tried other stations, including the local rock station that I can receive fairly clearly 100 miles away in my Audi, and it was staticky just fifteen miles away from the transmitting tower.

Ding!

2005 Legacy/Outback wagons with VIN's PRIOR to 5*373702 have a revised antenna ground wire TSB. Cars built after this VIN # already have this updated part.

P/N: 81831AG100

TSB # 15-115-05

Also, all Legacy/Outback models (Sedan or Wagon) have Antenna Amplifiers. If they are not connected and/or grounded securly, your reception will suffer.

Sedan's are mounted above the left rear quarter glass, behind the trim panel and behind the curtain air bag...I wouldn't recomend trying to access it...

Wagon's are mounted behind the rear hatch trim.

Antenna Booster Page

and last but not least...any type of metallic window tint will severly effect the in-glass antenna's ability to get a good signal. If you get you windows tinted, be sure to have them use a non-metallic tint.

Archived