LegacyGT.com

Mediocre FM reception--any thoughts?

biturbowagon

Ding!

2005 Legacy/Outback wagons with VIN's PRIOR to 5*373702 have a revised antenna ground wire TSB. Cars built after this VIN # already have this updated part.

P/N: 81831AG100

TSB # 15-115-05

Also, all Legacy/Outback models (Sedan or Wagon) have Antenna Amplifiers. If they are not connected and/or grounded securly, your reception will suffer.

Sedan's are mounted above the left rear quarter glass, behind the trim panel and behind the curtain air bag...I wouldn't recomend trying to access it...

Wagon's are mounted behind the rear hatch trim.

Antenna Booster Page

and last but not least...any type of metallic window tint will severly effect the in-glass antenna's ability to get a good signal. If you get you windows tinted, be sure to have them use a non-metallic tint.

But that TSB only applies to AM reception.

my reception licks ass. It's the same with the defrost on or off. I'm fairly certain something isn't right in my car, as others have good reception, and mine is unacceptable. Oddly enough, my reception improves when I drive out of the city...it's like there's less interference to deal with or something, it makes no sense to me.

Since you can't replace the receiver for one with better sensitivity and selectivity, you'll have to work with trying to optimize the antenna signal. Unfortunately, I think the Legacy already uses a pre-amp on the antenna to boost its signal, so there's really not much left that can be done without going to satellite or some form of external antenna (and the wiring mess that would probably need).

I have an Alpine head unit in my car and the reception didnt get any better.

Im ready to mount an antenna on the trunk.

I've never really noticed any FM reception problems since I've had mine over the last 15 months. I can even pick up a distant weak college radio station which is usually impossible to pick up in any other radios I have. Hopefully your dealership will be able to fix this for you.

my reception licks ass. It's the same with the defrost on or off. I'm fairly certain something isn't right in my car, as others have good reception, and mine is unacceptable. Oddly enough, my reception improves when I drive out of the city...it's like there's less interference to deal with or something, it makes no sense to me.

Do you have this problem with all stations? I doubt it's an interference issue with other FM stations as I'd doubt Calgary is congested with stations. Perhaps it's something else in the car, like a cellphone or PDA or something close to the receiver?

Has the dealer checked it out? Maybe take a test drive in another Legacy and see if it pulls in the same stations you try to listen to.

The reception of the in-glass antenna in my Legacy is far better than any other vehicle I've driven. I think it works exceptionally well, especially considering the mountainous terrain in my area.

I was even able to pull in Pittsburgh radio stations very clearly and in stereo over 90 miles away from the transmitters when I drove to Somerset last week. My Chevy Trailblazer with an external antenna receives pure static in the same area.

Do you guys have tinted windows or something? :confused:

+1

And I also have 35% tint all around.

The LGT has better reception than four Taurus SHOs I've had, my former 911, and my wife's Del Sol. I'm at the far north end of the Detroit suburbs, and as I drove a few miles north in those other cars, I would lose my Detroit stations. The LGT holds them for a LOT more miles. Now OTOH, AM reception is as bad as the other cars.

Ron

Archived