LegacyGT.com

Blown engine. HELP

Yea, spend a bunch of money. When you think you’re done, spend some more but also brace yourself for the additional expenses.

in all seriousness prepare yourself to spend more than the cars probably worth if you really want to fix it.

• Like 2

Dang. I had written up something semi useful here, then somehow I failed to post it. Hah!

^^ - correct as above.

Current estimates for a full ynansb rebuilt seem to hover around $6-8K depending on severity of damage and the amount you are able/willing to do yourself.

So a good place to start is probably to decide how much you like the car, what you're willing to take on yourself and how much you are willing/able to start testing the limits of your credit card. (s)!

LOTS of info in the CARdiac ICU, and the powertrains subfolders. Take some time reading around there, you'll find exhaustive lists of all the parts you will need, maybe need and just want to do while you are in there. Make a list, start pricing it out and make a plan. The community here is awesome and will help out, but you've gotta do the legwork.

Other options might be

-JDM EJ20 swap - being done and ery well documente right now by RumblyXT - affordable engines that seem to be a good value, and like to rev tweaking required.
- find another LGT with a rotten body and swap the engine out - these cars are gaining value again, so it's harder to find a really cheap one any longer, but they do exist
- part it out, move on. - sucks, but new engine is a lot of work, and more money. Depending on your needs and the condition of the car, it might not be practical to rebuild.

EDIT - I just realized why I thought I'd responded to this earlier, because I responded to it's identical bro in another folder, haha!

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 2

Thanks ! I can do the work myself, I think a short block, gaskets, and a new turbo are about all I need. From the looks of it, probably gonna run me 2500ish for parts. Couldn't find a ej255 for less than 5k, so I think short block is gonna be the way to go 

Bear in mind you'll probably also need

- AVCS gears
- oil cooler
- machining for the heads

Not a lot more money, but it doesn't hurt to budget for it.

If you are getting a short block, gasket kit and turbo for $2500, good on you! I want to say that is a LOT less than most are able to get them for, assuming new/EO block and OE or quality aftermarket turbo.

Gotta plug our man @JmP6889928 here. If you're turbo isn't phyically damaged from the event and just needs a rebuild. He is the man.

Yep, new EJ257 and engine gasket set for your year car, have the heads rebuilt by a machine shop. Have them hot tank all the parts you remove. You need to make sure no metal particles are in the oil system before you spend all this money and not make sure all the oil passages are clean. 

Do it right the first time.

• Like 3

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

https://parts.subaruonlineparts.com/v-2020-subaru-wrx-sti--limited--2-5l-h4-gas/engine--engine

There, still $2000 which is what I paid back in April 2012, get the engine gasket set for your year car.

See if your local dealership will match the price. I had a inside contact back then, but I got the discounted price locally.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

give your car a good lookover and see if its even worth spending thousands to fix. I made this mistake with my rustbucket gt I bought for $4k and paid $8k to get rebuilt, and I've lowkey regretted it since. your car is auto, and if its rusty and high mileage, I'd say junk it or part it out. sounds harsh I know, but I wish someone would have told me this years ago when I blew my motor. I could've gotten something in much better shape with the grand total of $12k I had to spend. maybe it would be worth fixing up if it's a wagon since they're harder to find, or if its a sedan in exceptional condition. I think at this point someone needs to make a flowchart on what condition lgt would be worth repairing lol.

I know you're going to be doing the work yourself, but you also have to consider the time you have to spend fixing the engine properly and if it really will be worth it for an auto lgt in the end. what you're going to end up paying for parts will also likely be higher than $2500 - that'll get you an RA shortblock and maybe turbo at most. in any case, best of luck :) 

• Like 3