LegacyGT.com

Need engine. HELP

Spend some time in the subfolder dedicated to engine rebuilds.

Everything you could possibly want to know in there with exhaustive lists of all the parts you’ll need.

Figure out the limits of your wallet and ability to DIY. Current consensus is that a worthwhile rebuild is $6-8K these days, tho maybe a little less if you’re doing a very vanilla job, and you haven’t destroyed too much stuff.

Good luck either way. The community is awesome about helping and knowledge, but you need to have a game plan first.

16 minutes ago, dadwagon919 said:

Okay thank you. Right now I'm considering an ej255 short block reman. I've thought about swapping out for a 2010-2011 engine, but can't find anything about this swap if it's possible 

2010-2012 2.5L turbo is quite different in many incompatible ways (mounts, turbo location, etc); I wouldn't consider it a viable option.

JDM EJ20X's seem to be the cheap and cheerful way to put a new engine in your much loved LGT.

At least they seem to be available, and not terribly expensive. You probably won't get all the dual AVCS action unless you know a tuner we don't, but whatever. Capable engines that can be made to rev more than our 2.5s if set up properly. Twin scroll turbo as well, which is neat, but would require some chicanery around the exhaust side of things.

• Like 1

Hi Dadwagon919, you can follow my thread and the work I've done. Imho, you end up paying a lot less is you go the jdm ej20x route vs going with a USDMmotor.

lol it's really not that bad as KZJonny mentioned in regards to all the exhaust side work, I just did things a bit different.

There's some great content on this forum and folks here are super helpful. PM me if you need some more info, I'll be glad to help.

For now, start with this video: