LegacyGT.com

High mileage vs regular synthetic

Does anyone have opinions on using high mileage versus regular synthetic oil? I usually use Pennzoil Platinum but they have a sale on the high mileage version. My 2.5GT is pushing 120k miles...but I'm a bit hesitant to use something different.

I probably will not get a reply before I go out and buy oil today, so my updated plan is to buy 5w40 for the upcoming summer months and 5w30 for the winter.

There is a sale on Castrol EDGE and my usual Pennzoil Platinum, so I still have some ruminating to do...

There is only one oil that I will recommend to my dying breath.  Mobil1.  I bought a 1987 Nissan 200SX SE-V6 in 2011 with 113k miles on it from its original owner, who's husband was a Mobil1 dealer and they claimed that's the only oil it ever had from about 20 miles on the odo.  It was sweating oil from the valve cover gaskets so I replaced them out of due diligence, the motor had zero varnish, it was all still shiny!

At the end of the day, oil is oil, if you change it frequently enough it really shouldn't matter.  With thicker oil you will have slightly higher fuel consumption.  The 'new' chain motors call for 0w20 because that's what it takes to reach the EPA rating they have, but it's perfectly acceptable to use 5w30 or higher in those engines.

Mobil1 is always almost twice the price of PP around here, so I change my oil every 3 months with cheaper oil for the same price. That being said, most everyone I know uses Mobil1...

That being said, I have been using 0w20 in my Ascent, but it is thin as hell, so I will definitely switch to 5w30 after my current supply of the thin stuff runs out.