LegacyGT.com

Exhaust fitment on Gen4 preface 2.5i

Hey guys, I'm new to the Legacy world. I recently bought 2005 legacy 2.5i. and I was planning to get a exhaust system for it. So. I bought a 2nd hand xforce 3" catback exhaust system. The guy I bought it from, he had 3.0 one. Now, the exhaust system doesn't fit. its short and resonator pipe doesnt fit the oem front pipe flange ( Its titlted so messes up with y pipe). what can I do about it. 

1 hour ago, SharmaG said:

The guy I bought it from, he had 3.0 one

Sorry what? The exhaust came off of a 3.0L 6 cyl?

Not gonna fit your 2.5i. Best thing to do would be sell it on and have something made up at your local muffler shop from parts you like. If you insist on keeping it, then bring it to a muffler shop and have them cut it up and weld it into a shape that will fit. There is really no point in putting a 3" exhaust on a NA 2.5i, which is why they don't really exist.

9 hours ago, SharmaG said:

Will only mufflers fit on the stock y pipe

Sorry dude, but what do you mean? There are muffles that will fit the stock y pipe, for sure.

Many brands out there will work, from no name cheap to JDM import pricing Any axleback that will fit a Legacy GT will work. Probably the best place to start looking if you’re on a budget. Doing the full catback will require welding for sure, and won’t get you any power gains.

🤙

You might find more good ideas at subaruoutback.org as well.

This site is great, but it’s a lot more focused on GT turbos than 2.5i’s. (I’ve got one of each, and there is a lot more material to research through for the NA cars over there….)

Good luck!

It sounds like this is your first car and you want to make it louder for the sake of being louder. For the betterment of your resale value (and your hearing), just leave this car stock and do basic maintenance on it. 

• Like 1

OP,

Just put a stock exhaust on and leave it alone.  Honestly have a lot of the rice-a-roni guys around here.  Muffler deletes and loud obnoxious exhausts. 

Not knocking the 2.5 at all as I have one as well as a 3.0 and an 3.6.  prefer the manual 2.5 honestly more then the other 2 two.

But get a stock exhaust and spend more money on maintenance items.

Whiteline suspension parts will do more for the car handling wise then anything else.

Edited by MoleMan
  • Like 1

This thread was a little rough to read.

To answer the original question, asked with a period, you can attempt to sell it, and reinstall the factory exhaust. Please leave the stock exhaust on, it sounds the best. If you're going to do anything to the exhaust, then I would suggest an Inferno Fabrications unequal length catted header, and a quality aftermarket exhaust from the midpipe back. 

• Like 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here

5 hours ago, Febreze Mee said:

This thread was a little rough to read.

To answer the original question, asked with a period, you can attempt to sell it, and reinstall the factory exhaust. Please leave the stock exhaust on, it sounds the best. If you're going to do anything to the exhaust, then I would suggest an Inferno Fabrications unequal length catted header, and a quality aftermarket exhaust from the midpipe back. 

@Febreze Mae.

I am not the OP.  And an aftermarket exhaust is a total waste of money on a stock 2.5i.  If the OP has no other choice they can go down the aftermarket route.  But I doubt a stock setup for a 2.5 will be hard to find.