LegacyGT.com

Tubes missing hoses on throttle body

I just picked up a 2005 LGT this week and it's had a ton of stuff done on it. It runs great. The previous owner said when he would shift into neutral (like coming to a stop) that it would die on him intermittently. I have not experienced that once yet. However, I do notice that there is a rough/low idle from time to time when in neutral coming to a stop. And a few times, the engine cranks very long before starting and I have to push the accelerator down to get it to start (almost like what you had to do with older carbureted cars). Seems like as soon as I hit the accelerator while cranking, it starts right up with the issue occurs. 

So yesterday, engine light came on. P0171. O2 sensor looks newer and wiring is good. I searched this forum and found that vacuum leaks are very common and luckily found a disconnected line at the infamous blue tee. I repaired it but haven't had a chance to drive it yet. However, I also found two other ports on the throttle body with no hoses connected, but before I jump to conclusions, are these just coolant ports that have been disconnected/bypassed? I've owned a couple of other Subarus that had coolant going through the throttle body. Pictures below. 

Thank you for your time. 

DSC01250.JPG

DSC01252.JPG

Heater hoses... shouldn't have anything to do with your codes or what have you.

Might be smart to clean that throttle body on the inside as well, if you're having poor starts and rough idle. Probably won't solve all your problems, but having to use the accelerator to get it to start makes me wonder if it dirty and sticking/not allowing enough air through at idle. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Yeah those coolant lines bypassed and the missing TMIC support bracket messing means someone has been fiddling with this car before you bought it.

As you have found the blue T is a problem location. Look for more issues. If it's a stock intake tube those can degrade over time as well usually at the turbo connection.

Not a huge fan of their use of hard plastic coupled with a glued on rubber hose. Yet I still use them.

Check for more vacuum leaks. Depending on how may miles on the car and who has been under the hood it could be a long list.

My recent change for the better was replacing the brake booster. But YMMV.

• Like 1