LegacyGT.com

Tuning with deletes

Is there a good non Cobb solution for tubing with deletes now? I want to do some stuff with my car but Its tuned via access port. I have deletes and don't want to put them back on so I'm kinda in a bind. Wondering what is available that isn't a multiple thousands of dollars stand alone. 

m sprank has suggested EcuTek out of the UK for remote pro tuning.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of community experience with them, but the logic seems to be they aren't going to care a whole lot about US emissions regulations whilst tuning.

May or mat not be the case. Probably worth the email? Plenty of folks here coming up against this problem, as tuners are no longer willing to change/eliminate emisssions CELs.

You’re in Spokane? Look into tuners in the Vancouver area maybe? Or Calgary.. plenty of reputable performance shops in Canada, and most probably do not give a rat’s ass about American emissions laws.

Might not be every one that can/will do open source, but there are at least a couple around me in Ontario that do. I am a bit of a hippie, so I’ve kept a catted system, but I don’t see the harm in TGV deletes or what have you. No cat in my up pipe either…

10 hours ago, Bobsyouruncl said:

Is there a good non Cobb solution for tubing with deletes now? I want to do some stuff with my car but Its tuned via access port. I have deletes and don't want to put them back on so I'm kinda in a bind. Wondering what is available that isn't a multiple thousands of dollars stand alone. 

I went with an OpenSource tune.  You just need a Tactrix cable and a laptop.  You can use ECUFlash to save the OEM tune (ROM) once you uninstall the AccessPort.  I use Elijah Nichols at Redemption Tuning in Taylorsville NC for my tuning.  I put my 07 spec.b on the dyno there but I've also tuned my daughters 03 WRX with him via etune.  Its really pretty easy to do and you can then turn off all of the associated codes for your deletes.  I deleted my TGVs and the EGR/secondary system.  

PXL_20230203_154708850 (1).jpg

• Like 2

On 4/21/2023 at 5:52 PM, silverton said:

If you live in the US, you are pretty boned for tuning out any emissions related components.

You can get tuned just fine with what you have, you just need to know where to go. I got tuned when all this Cobb crap was already going on. Cars is great via AP3. 

• Like 1

If you got your tune prior to the E P A crap yes you are fine, but if you didn't you are now SOL.  Cobb & ECUtek are owned by the same parent company and somewhere around the beginning of the month ECUtek released a statement that they were also going to be in line with what Cobb has done.

With all that being said if you have Airpump deletes, EGR deletes, TGV deletes or Cat Deletes you can still be tuned with cobb or ECUtek but you will have a CEL on your dash for everything you delete.

So far only options available for you are Open source, or standalone, which sucks for anyone that doesn't live in the US.

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

I have air pump and tgv deletes. I still have a cat as I saw now performance benefit for deleting this.

I was under the impression that tuning on Cobb now with deletes would brick your tune and put the car in limp mode. 

My car was tuned prior to all the green speed nonsense but there were more things to do and I was hoping that some other options or work arounds might arise. 

Does anyone have any experience with link? My tuner said he didn't know if it works for lgt's. He tunes wrx's on it but hasn't done an lgt. 

He quit tuning Cobb because of greenspeed and he thinks Cobb is a substandard option and primarily recommends emtron. Emtron is 5k minimum and I'm not sure I want to drop that kind of coin for a few upgrades or tuning refinement. 

• 3 weeks later...

Is it really hard to find/do open source tuning?  The shop that's been working on my car does this. They're the ones that deleted the TGVs and air pump system and told me they'd have no problem tuning for them.

I did notice that IAG (I think) now makes a high flow TGV assembly.  That might solve that problem...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TMBLKDG said:

Is it really hard to find/do open source tuning?  The shop that's been working on my car does this. They're the ones that deleted the TGVs and air pump system and told me they'd have no problem tuning for them.

I did notice that IAG (I think) now makes a high flow TGV assembly.  That might solve that problem...

The software isn't as easy to use as the commercial variants but the concepts are all the same.  If you can tune a car with Cobb, for example, you can tune it with the Open Source software.  You just need the Tactrix cable and you're in business.  When I had mine done, I took my cable with me to make it easy.  If you are interested in doing an etune remotely, I'm sure Elijah at Redemption Tuning will help you out.  He's tuned two of my cars, my daughter's 03 WRX (etune) and my Spec.B (Dyno), and I highly recommend him.

• Like 1

Open source can be glitchy. At the same time it is difficult for tuners to protect their work using opensource.  Many reputable pro tuners will not use opensource.  But I hear some archived pre-green speed software and can assist with Cobb tunes. 

Some tuners will use OS.  If they do offer such services it is BAD FORM to openly post their info as you are jeopardizing their livelihood.  The EPA fines will CRUSH anyone.  Thats why big corp like Cobb got in line.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2