LegacyGT.com

steady check engine light and blinking cruise

c-lo

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated
So do you think it's only the front sensor that's failing right now? I also experiencing cant go pass 60mph(seems like can't change gear), and reving at 6k rpm. But then I would turn off the car and restart again it will seem fine.

That's probably your P0700 code.

Have you checked voltage yet? It's also possible that your transmission is just dying, but I'd check voltage across the battery with the car off and with the car on first. It should be ~12V with the car off and ~13.5-14V with the car on.

I've been having a P0171 code.

Attempted to do a pressure test today, but couldn't build enough pressure in the system to pin point the leak. Seems as if though it was coming from the intercooler. Sweet!

Pulled the IC off and couldn't find any cracks and the gaskets is good. Seems as though it may be leaking through one of the end tanks. I'm assuming that where the endtanks (plastic) meet the core may be leaking. Is the a likely cause?

• I Donated
Pulled the IC off and couldn't find any cracks and the gaskets is good. Seems as though it may be leaking through one of the end tanks. I'm assuming that where the endtanks (plastic) meet the core may be leaking. Is the a likely cause?

That's certainly a common area for leaks.

• 3 weeks later...
Just as a note...I had the steady "check engine" and flashing "cruise". ('08, 41k) Searched this site, found this thread and as a first step unscrewed and re-screwed in the gas cap. By time I hit my third destination (3 starts) both lights were gone.

• 3 weeks later...
Same situation as MJW55. took a bit longer for the lights to turn off (closer to 100 miles like some other posts said) but the lights are off and the car sounds and feels great. Thanks for all the posts everyone - saved me some stress and money! also enjoyed learning how to use the built in code reader.

• 3 weeks later...
Driving along minding my own business in snow/slush on the freeway about 70 when the steady cel and blinking cruise come on. I'll wait til morning to see after the car de-ices itself in the garage...plus I'll check the gas cap. No noticeable drivabiltiy issue. 05 LGT 75k miles, open tuned stage II + for years.

Ok, i guess it's my turn.

Driving home just an hour ago from sfo to milpitas (40 miles) and noticed that the CEL, blinking cruise, AND a fast blinking sport mode came on. Going to unscrew and rescrew my gas gap tomorrow morning. I'm just a bit concerned that none of these replies mentioned anything about the fast blinking sport mode.

(2005 105k Legacy)

• 9 months later...
Yesterday I found the battery completely dead. The 2005 Legacy GT has this tiny lights near the rear view mirror and it is easy to forget to turn them off. And they will drain the battery after several days of the car sitting in the garage. I jumped start the car but them the Check Engine Light did not turn off and the Cruise Control light started blinking and the cruise control was disabled. I drove over 100 miles that day and nothing changed. Unplugged battery at night then reconnected this morning with no change. Went to the gas station, fill up the tank, screwed the tank cap tightly and both light were of after I re started the engine!:)

• I Donated
Yesterday I found the battery completely dead. The 2005 Legacy GT has this tiny lights near the rear view mirror and it is easy to forget to turn them off. And they will drain the battery after several days of the car sitting in the garage. I jumped start the car but them the Check Engine Light did not turn off and the Cruise Control light started blinking and the cruise control was disabled. I drove over 100 miles that day and nothing changed. Unplugged battery at night then reconnected this morning with no change. Went to the gas station, fill up the tank, screwed the tank cap tightly and both light were of after I re started the engine!:)

Welcome to LGT.com...

...but you're aware that the CEL had nothing to do with the dead battery, right?

Welcome to LGT.com...

...but you're aware that the CEL had nothing to do with the dead battery, right?

So it was pure coincidence that the CEL and Cruise lights were on after jump starting the car? Both lights went off after refueling the car and tightening the gas tank cap. Do I still have to check the code?

• I Donated
So it was pure coincidence that the CEL and Cruise lights were on after jump starting the car? Both lights went off after refueling the car and tightening the gas tank cap. Do I still have to check the code?

You left the gas cap loose. That triggers a CEL. It just so happens that the CEL for the loose gas cap occurred at the same time as a dead battery.

Think about it this way -- how are a dead battery and tightening a gas cap related? They're not. Since tightening the gas cap fixed the CEL, the CEL was for the loose gas cap.

• 4 months later...
You can also reset the CEL by disconnecting the battery and steeping on the brake to bleed any energy stored in the capacitors.

I got one pre-AP when I pulled the resonator off. Cleared it by doing the battery trick and good as new. If there is something wrong, it will log a CEL again. Now, if you think it might be something more serious than the gas cap and can deal with the blinking light before you can get to pull the code, wait so you can be sure.

There was also a way you could pull the code via the dash readout.... Deer Killer posted a thread about this.

thanks for suggestion !! i had a same problem as u wrote here! i did it then the flashing light is gone

• I Donated
thanks for suggestion !! i had a same problem as u wrote here! i did it then the flashing light is gone

I hope you checked what the CEL was before you cleared it. Generally, when a CEL comes on, especially on these cars, there is something broken that you need to look at. Then again, if something is broken, the CEL will probably come back, and you can check it then. Just don't clear it without checking it again!

I am having this same problem. I was told it was normal for the cruise light to come on with the check engine light, it doesn't allow you to use cruise for safety reasons. I was told my exhaust temp sensors were bad, that's why my check engine light is on.

• I Donated
I am having this same problem. I was told it was normal for the cruise light to come on with the check engine light, it doesn't allow you to use cruise for safety reasons. I was told my exhaust temp sensors were bad, that's why my check engine light is on.

Someone who actually checked the code instead of just erasing it? :eek:

I commend you, sir.

You need to replace the up pipe with a catless one and do the 2.2k ohm resistor for the missing egt probe.

Get them out of there before they take it the turbo.

You can get a STI up pipe or a aftermarket one that is catless.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived