LegacyGT.com

steady check engine light and blinking cruise

c-lo

I just had the same problem, check engine light (CEL) solid with flashing cruise control light.

Used the connectors under the dash (fuse box at driver's left knee) to read the trouble code. Connect the 2 green wires (white connectors), turn the key to on, press the trip odometer reset once, code appears. Got code P2097 which according to this post http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15254&page=2 is "P2097 - Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Rich Bank 1" There are also 2 green connectors under there, connecting them doesn't seem to do the same thing.

Gas cap seemed a little loose, so I tightened that up. Tried the start 10 times trick, and that didn't reset the code. Also tried to start the car with both the white and green connectors listed above connected. That didn't reset the code either. Used the disconnect battery trick (disconnect battery, step on brake, reconnect) and that cleared the code.

This post tells you how to use diagnosis mode, but tells you the connectors are in the wrong place. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18281

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Got CEL and Cruise flashing today. I was on the interstate with the cruise set at 75. It seemed to miss/studder, then the cruise shut off and the lights came on and have been on for the past 60 miles and through about 8 restarts. It is going to the dealer tomorrow (Monday May 26). I will post the results. I traded an identical '06 for this '08 and it has always seemed to run differently- even strange at times. I much preferred the way my '06 ran/shifted.

Fyi this is a 2008 2.5i Auto with 4000 miles.

Had the same problem. Took the car to autozone to get the code read. Was advised that it was an emissions issue, that the gas cap was not in place properly. He advised me that he can clear the code or I can drive the car for about 2-3 tanks full until the code clears by itself.

Went to Dan Perkins Subaru (terrible) in Milford, CT. I told them this,

"My Engine light is constantly on and my cruise control light is blinking. I was advised by an Autozone technician (who has technical knowledge of subaru / volkswagen cars) that the code was due to an emissions issue. It seems that the Gas Cap was not in place properly at one point and after I screwed it in correctly, it could take about 2-3 tank fills for the code to clear or that he can clear it himself. Is this something that you have encountered with other customers before?"

The female Subaru service advisor then told me that she can't tell me anything until she has her technicians check the car themseleves and it was going to cost me $50 for the diagnosis. I was in shock. I couldn't believe that they would charge me for this after I knew exactly what was wrong. I mean the amount of money i have spent doing interval services at that dealership and they are going to charge me 50 bucks for a yes, no answer?

I said yes to the fee, knowing that i was going to her manager and complain. Needless to say, she came back and told me that it will take 2-3 tank fills for it to clear but they will clear it for me now. I looked at her in amazement. The next day i called the actual Service Center manager and advised him of what happened. He told me that the diagnostic charge is relevant to my case. It was only after I told him that i will not be performing my service intervals, maintenance, etc. at their dealership did he become concerned of my issue and offered me a $50 dollar credit and a 10% of future service.

This is a customer satisfaction issue on the dealership's end. It just sucks that i had to go through such hassle to resolve it.

Dealer service found the code was emissions-related, due to loose gas cap (which wasn't actually loose anymore, since I had filled up after the light came on). They cleared the code and I was on my way.

DamienR8, I've found most Subaru service dept's to be terrible as well. It's unfortunate that service is so bad for such a well-built car with a great reputation. I've been to 3 of the 4 dealers here in Louisiana, and I've decided to use the better of those 3 which still isn't too great. The one I use I'd say is just ok, whereas the other 2 I'd rate as poor, and a joke.

Dealer service found the code was emissions-related, due to loose gas cap (which wasn't actually loose anymore, since I had filled up after the light came on). They cleared the code and I was on my way.

DamienR8, I've found most Subaru service dept's to be terrible as well. It's unfortunate that service is so bad for such a well-built car with a great reputation. I've been to 3 of the 4 dealers here in Louisiana, and I've decided to use the better of those 3 which still isn't too great. The one I use I'd say is just ok, whereas the other 2 I'd rate as poor, and the other a joke.

Batonrouge, i feel your pain. I have not yet come across a well established dealership / service center. There was one in Shelton, CT that had good service, but it closed down. I heard that Branford Subaru is supposedly good. I will try them next time.

• 4 weeks later...

I just had this happen to me after i disconnected the accelerator wire relay to change out the stock accel pad. Stupid me turned my radio on while the relay was disconnected. Hopefully i'll just go away after a day of driving...i really don't want to have to disconnect my battery and re-program all my radio presets :lol:

...oh and i never did get the accelerator pedal switched out to the wrx style one. That stupid a55 pin wasn't going to budge an inch. :spin:

EDIT: Dove 30 miles to work today with the lights still on. When i got in to drive to lunch today they were both off. I guess it just needed some time to reset.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Had this happen twice in two months. Both times it was reproducible. Basically, I was trying to save gas and had my car in fifth at @35. It appears the car doesn't like to lug the way my LT1 does. I used my AP to clear it both times and it hasn't come back if I don't lug the engine.

Went to Dan Perkins Subaru (terrible) in Milford, CT.

I agree Dan Perkins Subaru service dept is terrible. My brother had his wrx engine replaced by them and the tech tried to steal his headers. When putting the new engine in they installed stock headers and thought we wouldn't notice. However, i do use their parts dept regularly.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I agree Dan Perkins Subaru service dept is terrible. My brother had his wrx engine replaced by them and the tech tried to steal his headers. When putting the new engine in they installed stock headers and thought we wouldn't notice. However, i do use their parts dept regularly.

I had Bill Kolb Subaru steal my entire truboback from my WRX. Fuckers.

I had Bill Kolb Subaru steal my entire truboback from my WRX. Fuckers.

wow that sucks!!! did you let them get away with it? we went down and talked to the service manager as soon as we saw the headers were missing, he had the tech fired on the spot. Then offered us 5 free oil changes, i told him no thanks.

Guest *Jedimaster*
did you let them get away with it?

Hell no :lol:

I did the equivalent of raping those motherfuckers :cool:

• 2 months later...

so i'm getting the "cel + blinking cruise" nearly every time i downshift (ie, to pass) on the highway.

say i'm doing 75 in 5th, disengage, blip throttle and go into 4th.. all the lights fire (its moreso at the higher speeds)..

as soon as i re-tighten the gas cap, the code clears and the car is happy again.

so - the question - do i just replace the cap? is that where the issue lies?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had this happen yesterday. Driving home I noticed the CEL and flashing cruise. Put me in a horrible mood because I just got this car 2 days ago! Anyway, I checked the gas cap and disconnected the battery and that cleared the light.... took a 30 minute drive and it didn't come back.

However, on my way to work today it came back on!!! I'm going to try the code reader or go to Autozone and have them pull the code.

Pulled this code:

"P2096 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 1"

Would anything specific cause this code to come up? Exhaust leak maybe?

Anyways, I had autozone clear the code. Started it up and it didn't want to start at first and then was pretty rough when it fired, then normaled out. Is that typically normal?

• 11 months later...

This happened to me yesterday night. It was about zero celsius (32 F). I had not gased up for about a week, but had about a quarter tank left. Today, filled up the tank and the CEL and cruise light turned off. I didn't drive it more than 20 miles from the time CEL came on, 'till it turned off.

Also, perhaps worth noting...it snowed the last few days which caused me to slip around a bit, triggering the ABS.

Power/turbo seems to be fine.

In any case, everything is back to normal. The problem seemed to be fixed simply by gasing up the car. I didn't have to disconnect the battery or reseat any electrical under the hood.

Can't figure this one out...2005 legacy, just had the car fully inspected a week ago and everything A ok including emissions controls...did fill the gas but thought it would settle itself after 50 km, or so I have been told. Can it take longer? Can't imagine it will hurt the car to continue as all checked out fine just a week ago.

do you have a parts store that can lend you a code reader? hook it up and find out what the code is so you aren't scratching your head trying to figure it out.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

This happened to me yesterday night. It was about zero celsius (32 F). I had not gased up for about a week, but had about a quarter tank left. Today, filled up the tank and the CEL and cruise light turned off. I didn't drive it more than 20 miles from the time CEL came on, 'till it turned off.

Also, perhaps worth noting...it snowed the last few days which caused me to slip around a bit, triggering the ABS.

Power/turbo seems to be fine.

In any case, everything is back to normal. The problem seemed to be fixed simply by gasing up the car. I didn't have to disconnect the battery or reseat any electrical under the hood.

Darn...this problem is back. Had a quarter tank left...outside temp was about 15 C (59 F)...started the car and the CEL came on with flashing cruise light. Also worth noting: it hasn't snowed since the first time I ran into this problem, so I suspect ABS or tire slippage is not the culprit. I also just got an oil change yesterday...no problems until today.

Unlike the first time I encountered this problem, there was a huge reduction in power this time. The turbo definitely went missing and climbing a hill became a small struggle.

I filled the tank, but that didn't fix the problem (like it did the first time I encountered this problem). Filling the tank brought back a bit of power, but the turbo is still missing and the lights are still on.

Given the loss of power, I suspect it's an oxygen sensor thing. I'm gonna take it to the mechanic tomorrow.

Darn...this problem is back. Had a quarter tank left...outside temp was about 15 C (59 F)...started the car and the CEL came on with flashing cruise light. Also worth noting: it hasn't snowed since the first time I ran into this problem, so I suspect ABS or tire slippage is not the culprit. I also just got an oil change yesterday...no problems until today.

Unlike the first time I encountered this problem, there was a huge reduction in power this time. The turbo definitely went missing and climbing a hill became a small struggle.

I filled the tank, but that didn't fix the problem (like it did the first time I encountered this problem). Filling the tank brought back a bit of power, but the turbo is still missing and the lights are still on.

Given the loss of power, I suspect it's an oxygen sensor thing. I'm gonna take it to the mechanic tomorrow.

So, I tightened the gas cap today (basically, just turned it a few rounds) and the CEL and cruise light went off.

However, the power is still missing...especially the turbo. Took it to a Subaru dealer and they said everything checked out ok. They tried reading a code but none was available. They told me to drive it about 10 times, each time for about 10 miles. I guess this is reiterates some of the previous posts about driving the car 100 miles before the computer "resets" itself, and supposedly, the turbo will work again.

I took it to another mechanic (who specializes in Subarus) for a second opinion and he said it's probably an intake manifold problem, which is covered under warranty.

We'll see...

Archived