LegacyGT.com

steady check engine light and blinking cruise

c-lo

I can't find the plug in the area i was told it would be (drivers left leg, fuse compartment).... anyone got a pic?

No pic, but they are there. You will have to fish around a little though, then you will find two sets of connectors, each secured together with green tape. One white connector and one green one in each pair. Remove the tape, then connect the two white ones together. Turn the ignition on, but do not start the car, then as the gauges are sweeping, press the odometer reset, et voila !

A flashlight and a pair of long nosed pliers will come in handy.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool... Will look tomorrow am. Just to be clear, looking to *undo* two pair of white/green connectors w/ green tape and then connect the whites together. Reset the odo as the needles sweep....

ok.... if i do get to it tomorrow i'll take some pics for sure!

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a call from dealer and everything is fine now. According to them it was happened because of wheel slippage and the front whell ABS sensor was having problems with ice buildup on wheels. They have checked the circuits and it is looking fine :)

Now I have to return the loaner Jeep Grand Cherokee

• 3 weeks later...

This happened to me today whle I was backing out of a snowy/slippery surface here in NYC. I gues the wheels all spunned at different speeds, and it came on. I drove later on, and at one point I had to backup again. This time I backed up normally and the light reset itself. It seems that it was the sensors that gave the false readings due to the wheels spinning at different speeds.

X

---

• 3 weeks later...
Guest *Jedimaster*

Well, I just got my engine light and cruise flashing. I was driving along and couldn't resist a big snow drift that wound up in the road. Instead of going around it like everyone else, I dove in headfirst and got stuck up to the doorwells in snow :lol:

Who says SRT4 drivers are assholes? One stopped and offered to help me push. I told him no thanks and that this is what I get for screwing around. Actually, I just refused to believe that AWD couldn't get me out of this- but it did! :)

• 3 weeks later...
well, I got mine last night. Was driving home on the freeway, doing a steady 70mph in 5th gear, when the car kinda shuddered, the CEL came on, and the cruise started blinking. I've started the car 3 times since then, it's been about 12 hours, but it's still on. I'm gonna pull the code with my laptop when I get home, but based on my description, does anyone have any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Me be familliar- happend two times. Only winter, once when stuck in snow:lol: , second time was with a bit rev driving. Checked with AP which shows something with speed sensor , don't remember code#.

Disapp. by it self:lol:

Last night drove my Leg - no problem.

Today, got in car started. Engine light on, CC blinking.

What happened while the car was parked?

It is OC winter - no snow - lows in the 50's.

Will try an ECU rest tomorrow morning and see if that does it.

• 1 year later...

For what it's worth... My girlfriend's 2004 Legacy began exhibiting symptoms of CEL + flashing cruise control light immediately after she had her car serviced. We poked around under the hood and found that the technicians had disconnected an electrical connector adjacent to the air filter and hadn't re-connected it. After plugging it back in and starting the car twice, the CEL + flashing cruise light problem went away.

It wouldn't hurt to check all the electrical connections under the hood. Unplug any connection you can find and re-plug them to possibly re-seat the electrical contacts that may have become corroded or tarnished.

my car did this yesterday, it is socal so no snow, got home from work shut the car off and everything was normal, went to work and the cel + blinking cc lights were on, dissconnected the battery and everything is fine so far.

• 3 weeks later...

I had this happen this past Sunday on a trip back from vacation in my 2005 Legacy (automatic/non-turbo). Took it to Advance Auto and the code reader came up with the oxygen sensor being bad. However, it's still running great--had a friend of mine that knows cars/engines drive it around and put it thru its' paces. Just like me, says it's still smooth, no weird noises, no loss of power, etc...so I am at a crossroads. Note that I have 78K miles on the car and it's out of warranty, and also that for the vacation trip I decided to put in a higher grade of gas than I usually do--which probably contributed to higher emission temps causing my oxygen sensor to go goofy.

Let me poll for some opinions on what I should do:

1. Is it possible that this will not cause me engine/gas mileage problems in the future?

2. Depending upon that answer, should I replace the oxygen sensor or just let it ride and reset the computer since I'm currently having no problems?

3. If I need to replace it, does anyone have any tips/directions on how to replace the oxygen sensor?

4. Is it possible that running this tank of higher grade gas out and refilling with something more temperature friendly will cause the problem to go away?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

btketron, just so you know, your Legacy has a built in code reader so you can read your own codes and then cross-reference the code with a topic on this site to find out what it is. I would personally run 2 or 3 tanks of your usual gas and see if the CEL comes back on/resets itself.

btketron, just so you know, your Legacy has a built in code reader so you can read your own codes and then cross-reference the code with a topic on this site to find out what it is. I would personally run 2 or 3 tanks of your usual gas and see if the CEL comes back on/resets itself.

Thanks for the input--I appreciate it. Can I get a quick explanation of how the built-in code reader works for future reference? A link to another post elsewhere will suffice if you or someone else doesn't feel like explaining.

If I remember correctly:

-shut the car down

-open the fuse box in the car, to the left, near the hood open lever

-connect two white cables

-turn the car in the ON position and as your dashboard does it's typical swipe, hit the mileage reset on your daskboard

-the error code will show up

If not, I screwed up a step and you should read this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23292

I know it's free at Autozone to have it checked but why drive there every time?

Advance Auto does it free too, and it's just 2 minutes from where I work, plus my uncle works there and will do it for me quick and give me pretty good advice--though he's a lot better at domestic models than foreign...thusly why I came here for advice on this particular problem.

I'll do that next time though fishbone...thanks!

Archived