LegacyGT.com

steady check engine light and blinking cruise

c-lo

Aloha. Same problem as above, with a slight variation...

Driving home from Newark airport this evening on the NJ Turnpike. Went to pass an asshat from Ontario and the car (08 LGT) stuttered and the CEL came on and the "cruise" light began to blink along with the engine mode "Sport" designator. I, of course, couldn't engage the cruise control or change the engine mode. I drove it home with seemingly no problem.

Gas cap is tight.

I'm fixin' to call my dealer tomorrow a.m. and bring it in to get the code read. I'm posting on here to see if anyone has also seen the engine mode light blink as well and if this is a further indication of what might be wrong?

I will say this --- it was incredibly distracting driving with my dash turning into Vegas. A simple CEL is enough... :icon_roll

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

Back from the dead...

Hey belynch or anyone - did this end up clearing it self. Or did you have to read the codes and get it re-set.

I made this same thing happen by pulling the IGN2 FUSE while driving. Whoops! VDC and CE light on, blinking and cruse blinking at a different rate for maximum distraction.

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

• 4 weeks later...
My car is doing it too, all the lights (CEL/blinking cruise, stuck in s-mode) AND the traction control is off and un-switchable, also the ABS was blinking for a short while.... The car is an 08 obxt, 52,000 miles. The only engine mods are a SPT cai & catback exhaust. I am the original owner, still under warranty. Codes reading cylinder 1-4 misfire. Goes to the dealer on friday to get worked on.

• 2 weeks later...

• Got the flashing cruise and solid CEL
  • I Freaked out
  • Limped the car home
  • Got on these forums
  • Found this thread
  • Checked gas cap, it was loose, tightened it down
  • Unhooked the battery to clear CEL
  • CEL is gone, cruise works again, and all is well!

GOD I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!!

Yes, unhooking the battery to clear CEL will work great to get the cruise control back and stop the flashing light. But, that does not solve the issue. Have the suby dealer read the code. If it is a misfire on the same cylinder every time the engine light comes on, I bet it's a fuel injector gone bad. Mine was.

“Abandon hope, all ye who enter here”

-Dante Alighieri

http://youtu.be/lLFunBPgPOo

• I Donated
I broke down (no pun intended, ha ha) and bought a code reader after going to Autozone twice in two days to clear my CEL. (They are not technically supposed to clear it, but I told them I had replaced the part, which was true.) It has totally paid for itself since then, even if you just factor in the gas it takes to drive to Autozone and back. :rolleyes: Incredibly useful for quick troubleshooting as well, and if your CEL goes on, you can stop at the side of the road, read the code, Google it on a cell phone, and see if it's something minor or if you should be thinking about a tow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
This has happened to me twice. I noticed if I was accelerating quickly (ok..I floored it) the car stuttered and then I got a steady CEL and a blinking Cruise control. I was able to clear it by restarting the car a few times. But I will pull the codes and see what it says. I also need to check my gas tank cover, since I did recently fill up.
Nemo me impune lacessit

• 4 weeks later...
For mine, I notice this a couple a months ago and it was O2 sensor from the code. So I had someone change the front and rear O2 sensor and the lights were off(CEL and blinking sport and cruise light) Just yesterday I got back the same lights on. I did do some aggressive driving last night tho. So now I don't know what to do. I've tried the battery trick but the lights came back on. I guess I will use my accessport to check out the codes. Also check the gas cap too.

^^^Disconnecting battery just resets everything, but does not solve the problem. It could be more issues than just the O2 sensor you replaced. You need to get the code it's throwing to find out what's wrong. Otherwise it will keep happening and you'll cause more harm than good.

It's the Cat... I had the O2 sensor changed and the same code came back days later. Dealer covers those CATS up to 100,000kms, so don't let the Dealer BS you... They should repair it free of charge..(Dealer tried to give me the run around) end result was repair was made and never experienced the issue there after...

• I Donated
It's the Cat... I had the O2 sensor changed and the same code came back days later. Dealer covers those CATS up to 100,000kms, so don't let the Dealer BS you... They should repair it free of charge..(Dealer tried to give me the run around) end result was repair was made and never experienced the issue there after...

How do you know this without knowing the code his car is throwing? He could be throwing a code for a completely different problem.

Archived