LegacyGT.com

Watch the Videos and tell me what you think

I dont think this is an O2 sensor issue! What does everyone think? I hope it starts in the morning "fingers crossed"! lol Brian is the mechanic and I am sending him these videos lol. I forgot I said that ....ol...

I just went out to see how it would start and it turned right over lol I wonder if the heat of the day effects it, because the lower evening temps it turned right over with out any hesitation.

So, yeaterday after sitting in the employee parking lot all day and it was above 55 degrees she had a hard time starting. Today it was cold in the high thirties. She slightly paused and it took me only one time turning the car to start.  She still paused, but I did not have to keep trying to start it! 

Edited by Sonder
Added more info

C0057 is a communication failure to the ECM for the VDC system (not seeing a CAN signal) and C0231 is ECM failure for the parking brake system

Have you checked the wiring harnesses around the VDC hydraulic module, back to the parking brake, and to the ECM itself?  Could be a broken wire, bad ground, etc.

• Thanks 1

the parking brake 'ecm' is the actuator.  a stored code is a current fault and lights your dashboard up. history codes are found with a scan, but not currently an issue.

when were your spark plugs replaced last? or even a major service?

• Like 1

your plugs are due every 60k.  I did plugs on a car recently with a random misfire, I think they had gone 80..90k though, three of the plugs were well worn with obvious blow by.  the tech who did the plugs had forgotten to do number 4 though....  the gap was .077!

Anyway, what I'm tryna get at is, spark plugs would be a good place to start here, I wouldn't bother with the coil packs just yet.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, silverton said:

your plugs are due every 60k.  I did plugs on a car recently with a random misfire, I think they had gone 80..90k though, three of the plugs were well worn with obvious blow by.  the tech who did the plugs had forgotten to do number 4 though....  the gap was .077!

Anyway, what I'm tryna get at is, spark plugs would be a good place to start here, I wouldn't bother with the coil packs just yet.

Thank you for your input.  

Almost seems like the fuel pump is losing pressure in the system when it sits for a period. After it sits for the day, or overnight, try turning it to the "on" position and just waiting a few minutes for it to build pressure and then try to start it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, GTEASER said:

Almost seems like the fuel pump is losing pressure in the system when it sits for a period. After it sits for the day, or overnight, try turning it to the "on" position and just waiting a few minutes for it to build pressure and then try to start it.

The last time she was in the shop 2 weeks ago I had the fuel pump pressure checked and he told me it checked out.  I am gonna trust him on what he says.  I will remember it.  The only thing I thought about is ok from the fuel pump to your test location the pressure is good, but how about from your pressure gage to the fuel injectors ? 

Again I'm gonna trust him and see how is goes after he replaces the coils n spark plugs.  

You bring up a good point though.  

Thank you 

I seem to recall someone on here having an issue with the fuel pressure regulator which is in the engine compartment right by the left strut tower IIRC. I would hope that he would have checked the pressure after the regulator also, not between the pump and regulator only.

• Thanks 1

LOL ok where is this rascal at? Granted I just went out in the dark with my head lamp  and with no tools to see if I could put and eye on this! 

Fuel Pressure Regulator.png

Edited by Sonder

Building on what GTEASER suggested about letting the fuel pump prime for a bit- how long do you generally wait between turning the key to the "run" position and turning it to "start"?  Not that a 2007 Focus has much in common with the 5th-gen Legacy, but a friend of mine had the check valve at the fuel pump go bad, which resulted in the fuel system losing prime when the car sat for a while.  Started hard if you stuffed the key in and immediately cranked the engine over, but if you stopped at "run" for a second or two, it fired right up.

In that situation, the solution was to do nothing, since the check valve was part of the fuel pump carrier (and, therefore, expensive), and they were already shopping around for new cars anyway.  I would assume that our cars have a similar check valve, probably also integrated into the fuel pump carrier (and, therefore, expensive), but I guess I don't know that for sure.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sonder said:

Ok it appears to be tucked underneath. I need to find a video of swapping one out, but it looks simple to get to if I can just find it ..lol..

s-l1600 (1).jpg

What are we working on?  Cause this diagram is not the correct one for a 2014 2.5i

• Haha 1

Before this thread I was impulsive and would start the car right away.  Now, because of the wisdom shared here I wait until the tachometer moves and goes back to its resting position before I start.   It has had made a difference on the starting of the Soob. 

I still have a rough idle issue.  I reached out to my mechanic to ask if he tested after  the fuel regulator.   I also said if it's even questionable just replace it.   

The points you bring to light are all valid and thank you for your input.  

Be well

Edited by Sonder

2 minutes ago, silverton said:

What are we working on?  Cause this diagram is not the correct one for a 2014 2.5i

Ugh I thought that was for my car the 2014 legacy sport 2.5i? Lol if it's not I did not find the right one.  Hmm would you be so kind to point me in the right direction?

Thank you 

Yes, just did some research, you are correct. The 2.5i is a returnless system so it relies on the pump for pressure regulation. I was thinking turbo models which have a return system and fuel dampers which kind of act like regulators.

Just found this video. I suppose your fuel filter at the pump may be plugged up a bit. I know it's a 3.6R but should be pretty much the same for your 2.5i.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GTEASER said:

Yes, just did some research, you are correct. The 2.5i is a returnless system so it relies on the pump for pressure regulation. I was thinking turbo models which have a return system and fuel dampers which kind of act like regulators.

Just found this video. I suppose your fuel filter at the pump may be plugged up a bit. I know it's a 3.6R but should be pretty much the same for your 2.5i.

Relying on the mechanic he told me the pressure was good.  So, here I am asking questions trying to figure out possibilities.  Making sure I'm crossing my T'S and dotting my I's.  

So, would it be safe to say that with the fuel pump pressure being ok I can rule out my issue having anything do with her pump?

Edited by Sonder

Ok she got her coils n plugs replaced.  Still running slightly rough.  He's gonna smoke test her in the AM.  He thinks one of the upper intake gaskets may not be sealed correctly.  He also believes a its a vaccume leak, but we will see. "fingers crossed" He told me that it's at no charge.  He did find her valve cover gaskets  are weaping a lil oil and I'm gonna have him replace those.   

Edited by Sonder