LegacyGT.com

Oil weight?

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I’d just like to know anyone’s opinion or expertise. 
I’m hooked on Motul engine oil, the 8100 X-Cess but what weight should I use? 
I’ve heard it doesn’t matter much, but I also see some websites recommend 10-w30. I’m currently using 10-w40 and well, I just want to double check.

Also, I’ve heard some say to run Motul X-Clean every now and then? Is that true?

While I started running Brotella, I’m no longer a fan. Motul to me makes my engine WAY smoother and I use less oil. But is there some other brand I’m missing? Thanks in advance, and sorry if I’m beating a dead horse.

Not exaclty personal expertise, but I think I can save you a couple (dozen?) hours of poring over threads here and on Bob is the Oil guy etc...

Use an appropriate oil to your climate/temperature and use scenario. The owners manual has some good stuff in it on that. If you go hard on your car at all, ever, follow the severe service intervals. Hell, do it anyway.

If you're willing to up the ante on designer oils and long life filters, which isn't a bad idea. The only realy place you're going to get information on your OCI is by sending off samples for analysis.

Pick an oil and filter combo, run it, and send some off to Blackstone or whoever. No amount of internet chatter will ever give you solid, scientifically backed results that what you are doing is working well or not, in your car, the way you use it.

Good oil is one that is suited to the task and changed regularly.

REALLY don't mean that to be condescending, so hopefully don't take it that way. There is just a literal infinitum of talk about oils and plenty of unfounded personal theory. There is also good scientifically backed information as well. Probably no harm in using the oiling habits of someone who has a car with the same mods as you, in the same climate, who drives it the exact same way, but even then, no guarantees.

A couple of UOA's are cheap compared to a YNANSB scenario. I personally use the best quality oil I can get my hands on regularly at my local store, use a high quality OE type filter and change it every 5K kilometers or so, if that matters. But, I also only drive mine in the summer, seldom take short drives in it, and always let it warm up thoroughly before getting aggro with the throttle. My use case may not be the same as yours....

• Like 2

Oil thread!

I personally like something in the range of a 40w, and try to check for UOA's online of that oil from turbo Subarus to get an idea how they perform.

Currently on Redline 5w40 as I got a stash for cheap.  

EDIT: about Motul, I've seen many many good reviews and would not mind using that at all personally.  

On which viscosity...I'm no tribologist, but what I can pass along is that the tuner I am going with eventually likes 10w40 for the cars he does.  So that's 1 vote for what you got now.

Edited by Scubaboo
  • Thanks 1

5w40.  We used Motul 8100 as our in house oil for oil changes.  Xcess then Xclean.  Bought it 55 gallons at a time. Sold and used their whole line up.  If you have any specific Motul questions I should be able to answer them. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BoozeRS05 said:

I’ll run whatever 5w40, 5w30 or 10w30 synthetic I can find at the auto parts store, cheap is great with me. I have no idea which oil is which on this list, but my OE motor has 198k miles today

F5A6D509-DE74-408E-8DF3-B15A08D1B46C.jpeg

That’s interesting. I’ll think about that with my next next oil change. 

4 hours ago, m sprank said:

5w40.  We used Motul 8100 as our in house oil for oil changes.  Xcess then Xclean.  Bought it 55 gallons at a time. Sold and used their whole line up.  If you have any specific Motul questions I should be able to answer them. 

I heard somewhere that the 10-w40 is thicker obviously than the 5w-40 and doesn’t get too thin when the engine heats up thus protecting better. I am in the northern Midwest climate. Think WI to IL region. So Winters can get a bit brutal but my car’s always garaged if that matters.

16 hours ago, m sprank said:

Ok I’ll bite :) Any thoughts on Motul vs Amsoil for track cars? Been running Amsoil Signature Series 5w-50 forever with no issues but with the move to Central Oregon it’s a bit harder to get and I see that one of the tuners here in town is a Motul dealer 

Ok.  For most climates 5w 40.  In So Cal where it rarely dropped below 50 5w30 worked great. 

Not an add, as the shop is gone.  But this was my standard offering (SPECIAL PRICE was for forum/club) members:

Motul 8100 Xclean 5W30 oil (up to 6 quarts)
OEM oil filter
OEM crush washer
Regular price is $80, SPECIAL = $75!

Transmission, front diff and rear diff fluid changes
For 5MT and 6MT Subarus=
Motul Gear 300 (up to 5 quarts)
Regular price is $195, SPECIAL = $175!

For 6MT BRZ/FRS:
Motul Gear 300 (for transmission)
Motul Gear 300LS (for rear diff)
Regular price is $130, SPECIAL = $120!

If a customer wanted x-cess we would substitute for no extra charge.  For this BRZ/FRS build we used 300v Chrono 10w40.  The car was built for "track for show".  We never tracked it as the paint job cost over $30k and we were too scared to chip it.  That is REAL Lambo green. 

GTR's  we used DCTF for the dual clutch. 

For REAL track cars Motul 300v Power 10w50.  I have used Amsoil products in the past and not had an issue.  But the Subies seemed to prefer the Motul Gear 300 when Extra-S was no longer imported.  We used T6 until the original formula changed. We switched everything to Motul, never had any issues and never looked back. 

motul.jpg

motul3.jpg

motul1.jpg

dctf.jpg

• Like 1

Not going to lie I had a buddy using Amazon oil in his car, and the car ran great. when looking close to the label and where it was made, it was produced in the same place these big oil companies get their oil made, but with an Amazon label. Now I love me some AMSOIL and can get Motul also, but I just stick to Amsoil. 

20 hours ago, NORULZleggy said:

Not going to lie I had a buddy using Amazon oil in his car, and the car ran great. when looking close to the label and where it was made, it was produced in the same place these big oil companies get their oil made, but with an Amazon label. Now I love me some AMSOIL and can get Motul also, but I just stick to Amsoil. 

IIRC Mag1 makes or made at least some of Amazon's oil.  I dont know which formula they used but I've tried Mag1's 5w40 Euro-spec MB229/BMWLL01 oil in the LGT and wouldnt mind again if I get a good deal on it.