LegacyGT.com

Claybar vs 28°F

Febreze Mee

I'm head outside shortly to claybar my car before I perform extensive paint correction. My biggest hurdle right now are the outside temperatures. 

It's 28°F so to combat the soapy-water from freezing over, I thought about throwing some salt into the hot water. 

I'm curious how the paint might react to saltwater soap mixture. Not too worries about micro abrasions as this will be taken care of during my cut/buff stage of the process. Moreover, I'm concerned of micro salt crystals being left behind the claybar, essentially rendering the function of the claybar —to lift debris from the paint— useless. 

Could this be corrected by following the claybar procedure up with a secondary wash using just water? Soap and water?

Products of choice:

- Warm/hot tap water from the local bathtub. 
- Dawn dish soap for ultimate stripping/degreasing power

- Kosher table salt

- Griot's synthetic claybar

Other things of note:

- the claybar process will happen outside in an open/uncontrolled environment (so things wont be perfect anyway)

- the cut/buff will be in a closed controlled environment

It's tough to explain why both can't be done in a closed controlled environment, just understand it cannot be done and work with me here.

Thoughts? Concerns? Comments?

Edited by Febreze Mee

MILKRUN  - Click Here

I would say skip the salt, but wash the car quickly in sections (roof, hood, trunk, then each side) work fast and use hot water, so it takes a little more time to get to the point of freezing.  You are just washing to clean off the car so you don't need a 30 min wash, your cut and polish should clean up anything left on the car.

Or take your car to a touch less carwash or one of the drive in car wash bays If you have one close enough to you.

Also don't claybar with water, pick up some liquid product to make your life easier.

Edited by tysparks81

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

Gave it a try, and unfortunately, the water was freezing over regardless of how hot it was. Especially, since it doesn't just pool up on the fender (because gravity), any left over water from wiping the panel down just freezes my the time I grab my dry towel. 

So I did end up going back it with hot saltwater, and this worked out a ton better. It even lasted in a liquid state of matter longer, but it still froze in the end. All of this took place before your reply. 

It's now 30°F outside, but still beneath the temp water freezes at. Tempted to try again. Both fenders have been taken care. If not, I might have to get creative.

The only thing steering me away from the car wash bay across the street (or anywhere) is that last month when I washed the car in 28°F weather, it froze over, and I had zero chance to even dry the car. I was able to get the dirt off, I just left the car wash with a fresh layer of ice on the paint, and frozen hands.

I guess J didn't realize there were other products to claybar a car with other than synthetic and traditional claybars. I will have to look into this a little more. For now, I'm putting my head down and heading back out!

• Sad 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here

I used to do some detailing on the side.  I ended up getting to experience a supercharged mr2, with mods, as the guy brought it to me just before a cold spell and just like you, I only had outdoor work areas at the time.  Owner told me if i wrecked it i bought it but to have fun with it if I wanted.  embarassing cars with 2.5-3 times the displacement is the definition of happiness 🤣

• Like 1

That's awesome! I wish I had the opportunity to even ride in one of those. 

I've had a few inquiries about my paint, and process, but never any bites. I don't advertise, and I'm always down to help anyone who wants to learn. I absolutely love paint, and the sciences and intricacies that goes into development /production. Naturally, I enjoy preserving it too. However, there are more passionate ppl out there who cover a good portion of the market, so I haven't ever seriously considered opening up a business around it.

I try to do perform the paint correction annually, but I just didn't get to it last summer. Well, I'm tired of waiting, and tired of seeing the car in the condition it is now so I became a madman yesterday and put a good 9hrs into it.

I'll need to take some better photos, but here are a couple for now:

8F79A1F8-8981-4FEE-942C-E62D22EF1B4B.jpeg

E15C3FA1-0DE7-4FE1-9830-D92B63E6C1B7.jpeg

• Like 3

MILKRUN  - Click Here