LegacyGT.com

Slow oil leak and slow coolant evaporating

Hi All,

Subaru 2010 3.6R 140K miles on odometer.

I'm trying to diagnose a slow oil leak and slow disappearance of anti freeze from the overflow.

I have to add 1/3 quart oil every 1000 miles. I have read this is normal in the Outback forums. Not sure if so, but it makes sense with the age of my car and engine tolerances loosening up.

I've attached some pics. Hard to tell if from head gasket. I have also spilled oil from up top when filling so some of the sludge could have come from this. I did not spill during last oil change. Or maybe oil cooler hoses/ clamps just need to be replaced. Doesn't look like oil cooler seal needs to be replaced, but i'm just assuming.

IMG_20230205_083726.jpg

IMG_20230205_083649.jpg

IMG_20230205_083630.jpg

IMG_20230205_083300.jpg

IMG_20230205_083141.jpg

IMG_20230205_083124.jpg

IMG_20230205_080317.jpg

IMG_20230205_080313.jpg

Just an idea I have have done this in the past. Whipe clean all you can find. Then after every trip re check those same areas.  Also, find a piece of cardboard that will go from left to right and cover from tire to tire. Check this every day after you drive it to see how much fluid is actually leaking. The tough part about oil its thick and will blow every where. I know you know this, but small steps could possibly get you the answers. 

Your best bet would be to get a case of brake clean, the cans go fast and you'll need a bit, and just douche all the grungy parts til they're clean.  Then wait 1-2k miles and reinspect, oil leak diag can be very difficult, especially when it's been going on awhile and looks like this.  One tip is that the source of oil leak will look the cleanest, the leak carries the dirt away and the surrounding areas end up grungy.  My assumption is that it will need a chain cover reseal at the least.

IMG_20230205_083649.thumb.jpg.dd29157c9d9fc4d8eda7ddd890bdf570.jpg

IMG_20230205_083630.thumb.jpg.145948173ccf4106fe20561dca2c09a5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Any word on where the leak is coming from? I just started to have a very similar leak coming from what looks like the oil cooler. On my old legacy I had the same problem but it was the oil cooler, so that's my first thought. I want to assume but it was very hard to tell exactly where it was coming out >:| ordered the oil cooler gaskets and hoses and we'll see.

On 3/14/2023 at 7:48 PM, ToolTime said:

Any word on where the leak is coming from? I just started to have a very similar leak coming from what looks like the oil cooler. On my old legacy I had the same problem but it was the oil cooler, so that's my first thought. I want to assume but it was very hard to tell exactly where it was coming out >:| ordered the oil cooler gaskets and hoses and we'll see.

Hey there. I'm still watching and haven't been able to diagnose the source of the oil leak. On a lighter note my coolant appears to have stopped evaporating. 

I may just live with the slow leak for now since it loses about 1/3qt per 1000 miles.