LegacyGT.com

New to me - '06 Legacy GT Sedan

adamyaws

First post - good to meet everyone.

I picked up my '06 new to me from my next-door neighbor for $100. Yes, $100. She is an '06 5EAT Legacy GT Sedan in Obsidian (32J) over black. Here's the story behind it: My neighbor has been wanting to sell / give the car away to charity for awhile. The charities he called didn't want it or had many strict requirements to take it. My neighbor owned it since new and purchased it from Midtown (now Berman) Subaru here in Chicago in November, 2005. They drove it for 15 years and put 105k miles on it and meticulously serviced it as scheduled. Over the last year, it's sat on their parking pad (next to their garage) and gathered a bunch of dirt and a minor scrape from a snowblower / minor rear-end collision which scratched up the rear bumper cover.

I own a 2019 Audi Q7 (mine) and a 2013 BMW 335 XI (wife's.) Someone sideswiped my Audi so it spent about a month in the shop getting repaired. Both my kids play travel hockey in different age groups which meant a lot of shell-gaming getting people where they needed to go with the BMW. So I texted my neighbor to see what he wanted for the car. I Venmo'd $100 and he signed the title over.

In the last two months, I've fallen in an inexplicable love with a 16 year old car and spent a fair amount of money to get it up to snuff. I've never owned a Subaru, just experienced them as sluggish CVT-laden rentals. (This one is DEFINITELY not slow.)

Parts added & services completed:

• P-204UH radio with GROM USB-3 adapter to add iPhone connectivity (burning CDs is a drag.)
  • Welded in new pipe to replace the center exhaust flex joint, welded in new flex joints for each muffler. (damaged in the rear-ending.) 
  • 5EAT service / oil change / diff service
  • 4 new tires to replace the dry-rotten ones
  • All new headlamp & fog lamp bulbs (those were a pain)
  • Polished out some of the scratches
  • New remotes to revive Viper remote start / keyless entry system
  • new pads and rotors on all 4 corners with brake system flush
  • Window tint to make it look a bit more sleek
  • Replaced the leaking condenser and re-charged the A/C
  • New battery pan and tie-down (from Subaru)
  • New engine & cabin air filters

To-Do list

• Replace the leaking fuel pump gasket (parts on order)
  • Replace the rear bumper cover with a new painted one. (I already ordered and had painted an '08/09 one in 32J which was the wrong part...if anyone wants it, it's yours for free around Chicagoland.)
  • Drive it until it dies

I've never owned a Subaru and am really enjoying adding this one to my now 3-car fleet. It's my primary DD and the Audi sits in the garage.

IMG_0249.jpeg

IMG_0250.jpeg

• Like 4

Welcome and what a deal! I love my ‘05 wagon. It’s an auto but still a blast to drive in stock form. Hauls kids and groceries, and still puts a smile on my face. These are definitely very underrated cars-enjoy it! I drove a newer legacy (2020) and it was a really nice car (wouldn’t mind it as a daily) but definitely no fun factor like my 05. 

Holy cow! Congratulations on the acquisition! Bonus points for the color.

Be sure to browse through some of the stickies atop the subsections of this forum. Too much good info to not read through even a little. Make sure you're checking your oil level every time you top the gas tank off. 

Welcome to the forums!

• Like 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Ha! I’ve been checking it at the regular fill-ups. Seems ok for now. 

I have the correct replacement bumper cover on order to improve its appearance. I incorrectly ordered the 2008/2009 cover which is now sitting in my house while I try to give it away. I might just wind up cutting it up and throwing it away this weekend. 

• Sad 1

Do not I repeat DO NOT Modify this car 😀. You have a nice gem on your hands, and I would just drive it and maintain it. This was a great buy and find. I tell people all the time, these cars are the forgotten. People want a WRX or STI, but the LGT is the way to go.

• Like 1

No plans to modify other than to tidy up its appearance and repair a few remaining issues. Over 3/4 full it leaks like a sieve but those parts should be here shortly. Oddly enough, no dealers in Chicagoland stock the fuel pump gasket that is leaking so they had to order it. 

I think it might have a bad sway bar link / bushing in the right rear since I get little clunks driving on Chicago’s notoriously horrible roads so I’ll need to get that sorted soon. 

The Subaru under seat sub should be here today. 

Otherwise I’m DD’ing it instead of my other cars; so far it’s been super reliable and starts easily every time. (Knock on wood - it’s a 16 year old car.)

• Like 1

Score!

Add.

ATF filter replacement to your list, behind the battery in the fender well. Mine is due to change again. This would be the third for the car.

Keep up on dropping ATF from time to time. These trans like it. Removes clutch pack debris.

Only use the Subaru ATF.

Edited by kzr750r1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, adamyaws said:

No plans to modify other than to tidy up its appearance and repair a few remaining issues. Over 3/4 full it leaks like a sieve but those parts should be here shortly. Oddly enough, no dealers in Chicagoland stock the fuel pump gasket that is leaking so they had to order it. 

I think it might have a bad sway bar link / bushing in the right rear since I get little clunks driving on Chicago’s notoriously horrible roads so I’ll need to get that sorted soon. 

The Subaru under seat sub should be here today. 

Otherwise I’m DD’ing it instead of my other cars; so far it’s been super reliable and starts easily every time. (Knock on wood - it’s a 16 year old car.)

Despite what people might say, these cars are reliable even at the age they are. the problem is people have gotten lazy and have lost the way of working on a car trying to figure out what might be wrong. People are so used to buying new cars and trading things in they never actually drive a car till it dies. Take care of it and you will be just fine.

Bringing it up to snuff maintenance-wise was not expensive. I listed out what I did and the thing runs like a champ and still has great power. Enough to make entrance ramps fun and to easily dispatch the average Chicagoland Altima.

But me saying it is not expensive to maintain is also me only owning German cars for the last decade or so which might be a perspective thing. Brakes on my wife's BMW were $2400 for the parts alone. Legacy: $400. I also understand that I have the luxury of 3 cars so I won't be "missing anything" if this one goes in for maintenance or repair. 

• Like 1

It's a 4.5 to 5qt change each time. Depends on if on if you jack up the passenger side while draining.

I lost faith in Subaru helping maintain the car. First belt change had issues and asked for a Trans flush. They didn't.

First pan drop I performed it came out gray. Full of clutch pack material.

Now I keep 6qt in stock and periodically do a pan drop and refresh during an Oil change, not every oil change. There is like 12qt in the system so you'll not get all of it out at one time. Takes a few to clean house.

Just take your time refilling. It takes a min, air lock. Plus a funnel with the bendy extension on it that you can find at most parts shops.

One thing to keep in mind is the line pressure is increased when you run in sport or manual. I normally drive in sport all the time. It will learn it's not being flogged and shift pretty normal after a while. It will also shift to 5th eventually if on the freeway.

Currently 255K on mine. Shoulda replaced the torque converter during my last motor thrash.

Wish I took advantage of Dave "HexMod" modifying my valve body before he stopped. There is still a transgo kit available. But Dave had some other bits he used in there for his setup. Main thing is to try and keep the slip low by driving in sport.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 10:29 AM, kzr750r1 said:

I lost faith in Subaru helping maintain the car.

X 2. Last time I had an oil change and rotate at the stealership it was $90. I realize that probably pales in comparison to a service for a German car but that’s crazy to me. Need to get back to just doing it myself.

On 12/8/2022 at 10:29 AM, kzr750r1 said:

Wish I took advantage of Dave "HexMod" modifying my valve body before he stopped. There is still a transgo kit available. But Dave had some other bits he used in there for his setup. Main thing is to try and keep the slip low by driving in sport.

X 1,000,000. That’s one thing I wish I could have done. I know there instructions out there but a VB is not something I’d want to mess up. 
Thanks kzr for the info! That’s why this site is so awesome! 

On 12/8/2022 at 8:49 AM, adamyaws said:

No plans to modify other than to tidy up its appearance and repair a few remaining issues.

That’s the best decision you could make. Turbo Subarus get stupid expensive quick when modifying. 
if you’re gonna work on your sway bar mounts/bushings, get moog endlinks, unless you want solid. They’re way beefier than stock and not expensive at all. Plus I think they’re greasable? Can’t remember off the top of my head but thought I saw zerk fittings on them.