LegacyGT.com

Coolant temp gauge pegs after sitting for months

So I parked my 2005 OBXT for about 5 months while I drove my Saturn for the better gas mileage.  Now after sitting for so long, it's pegging the coolant temp gauge after turning the key to the 'on' position.  Could this be a ground or voltage issue?  Or should I just go in and replace the sensor?  If so, where is it located?  I have my TMIC off and I can barely even see the crossover pipe.  Thanks.

Stephen

Does it start and run? It could be a ground or voltage issue but that sensor shares ground and voltage with other sensors, if you could check for DTC's that would help, but you could start by replacing the coolant temp sensor.  it's going to be on the right(passenger) side of the engine. Either on the front or the back of the cross over.  check behind the power steering pump, it is located similarly on the back side if you don't see it on the front.

Thanks. It does throw the code for the sensor. I charged the battery before i tried starting it. But i know it's still sketchy/not fully charging. I swear I disconnected it after parking it, but not. It does start barely, but it's  running badly. It has a new battery now with same results.

If you have a CTS code replace the sensor.  For funsies you can check the data for the coolant temp sensor to see what value it's sending the ECM.  With the temp gauge pegging hot I'm sure you'll see some crazy high number in there, and that's why the car is running like garbage, it thinks the coolant is molten lava.

Edited by silverton

If you haven't already done so, I'd give the rest of the electricals a once over to make sure they're intact. Depending on how the car was stored, it's not uncommon for critters to make a home and a mess of harnesses. It just seems odd that the car presumably worked fine before parking it, and then 5mos of time unused ruined what was a good sensor. 

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Varmint damage sucks. Sorry.

Noticed a friend built a electric cage around one of his cars to keep them out. They live in the sticks so no telling what he was fighting.

Others I know were having a hell of a time with Rabbits. Brand new car and they just hacked the harness.