LegacyGT.com

Coolant Bubbling under intake manifold

So, I typically get bubbling in the coolant reservoir tank near the radiator. That is, until I fixed and tightened up some clamps that connected to a hose 90^deg corner under my TMIC. Anyways, the bubbling seemed to stop what's coming out of the reservoir, and now I hear it under the intake manifold. WHat's under there? Does anyone have a picture or diagram of the coolant, piping and whatever else is there? Like a pic of the engine without the intake on?

I'd kinda like to know what's there, before I go taking the intake off. But I assume it's crusty in there, because I never saw what was actually there. I'm prepared to take the intake off and look, but not before knowing what's going on. I initially thought it was coming from the turbo area, but upon further listening, I'm not so sure. Thx!  

Edited by Jolbaru_LGT

Ugh, yeah. Thank you, it looks like there’s enough going on in there that I should go in and see for myself. I’ve honestly inspected, and cleaned the entire engine, and replaced every single coolant hose I could see without taking off the intake manifold. There’s a bit of moisture on the passenger side of the engine and I’m not really sure if it’s coolant or old oil. There’s a faint scent of coolant too. Getting whifs of coolant in the cabin as well. I’m not really losing any tho. Oh well. 
So now comes the fun job of taking that manifold off, looking for crusty white stuff, coolant, crappy old hoses and parts, and putting in a big order from the dealership. Hopefully I don’t find anything too expensive. Anything else I should do while I’m in there?

Would a faulty crossover pipe do some bubbling like that? Do crossover pipes tend to go bad? Again, I’m assuming with 275,000 miles, the intake has never been removed and nothing under that inspected/replaced. Not by me that’s for sure, and I’ve had the car for about 60k miles.

The aluminum pipe should never leak,

I would look around the turbo tank for a bad clamp or leaking hose. After installing the new engine, there's where I had a leak, I forgot to tighten a clamp at the tank.

If you have to lift the intake, do it from the heads under the TVG's. Pop the fuel line off the nipples at the shock tower. Drain the coolant. unplug the bi electrical connector and remove the whole set up.

Make sure the fuel line clamps by the TGV's are tight or rotate them so you can tighten them in a years if needed.

DSCN4741.JPG

DSCN4748.JPG

DSCN4750.JPG

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hey, may be think about replacing the turbo inlet tube when is easy. That rubber joint at the clamp end can get weak and leak air.

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

9 minutes ago, Max Capacity said:

Hey, may be think about replacing the turbo inlet tube when is easy. That rubber joint at the clamp end can get weak and leak air.

Thanks! Really, thank you for those pictures too. I guess I’ll lift off the TMIC, maybe unbolt and carefully lift up the turbo expansion tank and look at the coolant lines around the turbo area. That’s a slight PITA but way easier than taking off the whole intake. For now that is… Thanks for the helpful advice on lifting that intake off. I’ll reference this back if I have to get to that point.

Edited by Jolbaru_LGT

Your welcome, I think you can see most of my pictures in my "click here" link  I updated those photos, Sept 2019 so they work well on the site.

I didn't see anything unusual when checking under the TMIC. Looked like old crusty coolant if anything. But every connection and hose looked good.

On 11/27/2022 at 1:30 PM, Max Capacity said:

I did the turbo inlet tube about 50k ago, and it looks fine right now. I wasn't happy with how much the clamp dug into the tube, but it looks ok.... for now.

Was this motor ever pulled apart before?

Crossover bolts has a low torque spec. I have reefed them in the past forcing to heli coil three of the four, over time they lifted, pulled threads and started leaking coolant... Had to take the intake off for repair of course. Not a fun procedure.

1 hour ago, silverton said:

at 275, with a purchase mileage of 215. I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if this motor had never been removed.  Timing belt and valve adjustment in car, it can be done but YIKES who would??

It’s been very reliable. Motor has never been out. Original motor, turbo, head gaskets, transmission. I’ve never really messed with the internals of the engine. 

• Like 1

You purchased the vehicle at 215,000.  Do you have detailed service history to back that up?

On 11/27/2022 at 10:27 AM, Jolbaru_LGT said:

Would a faulty crossover pipe do some bubbling like that? Do crossover pipes tend to go bad? Again, I’m assuming with 275,000 miles, the intake has never been removed and nothing under that inspected/replaced. Not by me that’s for sure, and I’ve had the car for about 60k miles.

YUGE assumption pal. 

13 minutes ago, silverton said:

You purchased the vehicle at 215,000.  Do you have detailed service history to back that up?

YUGE assumption pal. 

Hey buddy. It was my brother's car specially ordered by him. I have the ALL of the records, and everything that happened/didn't happen to it. Even all of the stuff that was never reported to the insurance company. 😂 I know it pretty well.

Edited by Jolbaru_LGT
  • Like 2