LegacyGT.com

New Hood Strut Market Option

New hood struts are available from a Ukrainian vendor called 2SP. These don't require rivets like the Redline Tuning kit, they utilize a replacement fender bolt/ball and brackets that bolt onto the hood hinges so "bolt on". The USDM hood hinges may require cutting, mine did. Not very hard, did it in about an hour and covered up with touch up paint. I received them and have been impressed with the quality so far but will do final installation today and post some pics. Link below for interested:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165481171697

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silverton said:

Look nice!  Good idea to leave the hood prop there for when you need to put it in service mode!

I actually immediately removed it, as my huge triple row radiator was incompatible with the stock hood prop stay and I didn't like the prop just resting on the coolant hose. Looks cleaner too 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Febreze Mee said:

Let us know how you end up liking them, here. 

OP good find, and thanks for sharing the link and photos of installation!

1 hour ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Sure. I am actually quite amazed how they can lift the hood at such an angle, or more specifically from where they are mounted on the hood. They have to have quite a lot of pressure.

I actually had a set of the redline tuning struts lying around too. I ended up installing the redline tuning struts which are a little thinner and ~3 inches longer and that's the perfect combo. The hood sticks almost straight up like in service mode but the brackets keep the struts low and out of the way. This is the winning combo - buy the Ukrainian kit but buy some generic struts that are 2-3 inches longer to get a better hood angle. Both standard thick struts and the really thin redline ones fit no problem, so it's just a matter of strut rate and length. When opening and closing the original struts I saw there was an extra 4-5 inches of stroke unused and that's when I decided to try the redline ones since I knew from other posts they had a good angle.

Also, the OEM aluminum hood is quite light, so I don't see an issue with the mounting/lifting angles. The struts don't seem to slam the hood excessively in the way down, and on the way up they actually hit an equilibrium point where you can set the hood where you want it without hitting the end of the stroke length. That being said either the redline tuning or 2sp struts have a pretty high strut rate and are hard to compress by hand with body weight. If you had an aftermarket steel hood I'm not sure this configuration would work well still.

Edited by EatingInternet
  • Like 2