LegacyGT.com

GOTO:Racing's new race car for 2006: The Legacy GT

GOTORacing

http://www.tigersunited.com/articles/MontereyHistoric/laguna-seca-track.jpg

Chris or Brian,

I was looking over the track map for Laguna Seca, and I was wondering if you had any issues with the inside front tire spinning in the tight Andretti hairpin (turn 2)? I know you said you're running a stock 4.11 trans and I'm wondering how the open front diff has affected the handling of the car in tight corners.

Thanks! :)

P.S. What kinda lap times were you guys turning?

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its not brake bias. Your fronts are gonna do more work in any car. You can't change weight transfer. Even in Le Mans cars the brakes ALWAYS glow in the front and rarely in the back. Thus is the nature of weight transfer and physics. I beleive Pradet did some calculations of mathmatically optimal brake bias and it wasent too far from stock.

Paradoxically or not so paradoxically... the HARDER you brake the more front brake you need because you are unloading the rear wheels and its available traction and loading the front wheels.

Who said they had a heat problem??? There is NO heat problem... The problem is a weight problem.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13696960&postcount=63

Chris Lock: "the car is out handling most the cars in the field, its mostly stopping that we are having trouble with. And not because of any mechanicals, just because when you try to brake with a 2500 lb car, on the same size tire, you loose. The Racing Brake rotors and the pads that we had worked amazing. I was hammering them my whole stint and they never faded. I was told that they were glowing red hot though, even in broad daylight. Yikes!"

Come again?

http://img276.imageshack.us/img276/2964/2257397md6zq.jpg

http://www.racephoto.com/pscr/sebring/5panoz.jpg

I think you might want to reword your statement. It really depends on the car and its leverage point.. Your statement holds truth to a certain extent.. you have to also factor in the center of gravity and where the leverage point is on the car. You can certainly get the rear to do the work for you as well.

Chris is dead-on that weight is the killer when the cars all use the same tire size.. it's that contact patch to weight ratio (as even in autocrossing, it shows from my 2.5RS vs the GT using the EXACT same tire and tire size.. the weight will win, even more so than the power aspect).

Keefe

we?

you are on goto racing now? haha

you just cant win can ya keefe? ;)

ok, I'll rephrase :p, I am also talking to Racing Brake as well about a solution.. working on a solution for the possibility of running time trials in NASA.

Keefe

Yup, for as long as I can remember.

On of the few tracks that does.

Interesting.

FWIW, the only time that we ran Hallett, we ran it counterclockwise (don't really recall why). Since I had never run it before, it really didn't matter. What would really screw me up would be to run a track that I've been in the other direction!!

Ron

Yup, for as long as I can remember.

On of the few tracks that does.

Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Point Raceway is Counter.

I think it would be a neat thing to run reverse directions, and it gives you a new challenge of finding the line.. You'll see the difference between the two at different locations of the track and around certain corners (common one is the increasing radius in one direction while the reverse will make it a decreasing radius) and it's possible that with that new discovery, you can find even more time to shave off from your original direction of travel. It's also a neat way to see the difference in paving and landscape as well. If there's an opportunity for a track walkthrough, I'd do it.

Keefe

I think going up the corkscrew at Laguna Seca would be really interesting, probably not in a good way either.

I think it's still on-camber at the bottom of the corkscrew.. you would have to turn in late and literally drive straight up on the left and then use all that on-camber right hand to make late apex.. at the top of the hill, I would imagine that you have a blind right hander to make and my guess would be an early apex at that point or you'll find the guardrail/tirewall really quick when tracking out at the braking zone of the counterclockwise direction after the top of the crest.

I think Infineon Raceway going counter would be nuts coming down from those uphill esses at turns 2 to 4..

Keefe

Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Point Raceway is Counter.

I had to go look it up. I haven't run Summit Point since 2002, and I only recall the SPC and Jefferson back then. Must be relatively new, I assume (or I have a very bad memory!!).

Although the Active Systems Loop beyond Turn 1 on the SPC wasn't there either (only the gravel runoff area), so I suspect this is all new stuff.

Ron

I had to go look it up. I haven't run Summit Point since 2002, and I only recall the SPC and Jefferson back then. Must be relatively new, I assume (or I have a very bad memory!!).

Although the Active Systems Loop beyond Turn 1 on the SPC wasn't there either (only the gravel runoff area), so I suspect this is all new stuff.

the Active Loop System is the skidpad.. which was there for a long time now (for FATTers, BSR includes a 15 min run around the wet skid pad in their Caprices for the Track day, pretty fun stuff). Shenandoah Circuit is probably just 2 years old now, so it's pretty new.. they tried running it clockwise but found some of the turns just too dangerous to do (and odd to go THE OPPOSITE direction of the Karausel.. anyone that ran Nurburgring is use to having the a left hand bank.. going right is just ODD, like the NASCAR guys going clockwise for them is just ODD :lol: Actually seeing the wall at 200 mph from just inches from your own left shoulder is scary).

http://www.europrints.us/06shenandoah04/HPDE4/128/index.htm

http://www.europrints.us/06shenandoah04/HPDE4/128/img_0328_std.jpghttp://www.europrints.us/06shenandoah04/HPDE4/128/img_0329_std.jpg

Brian/Chris, do you have any of the data that you can put on an excel spreadsheet of your lap times around 'Seca from your Motec that we can see? I would love to see the speed, rpms, and g-forces the car is going through just right before the corkscrew and the final left hander onto the front straight. I would definitely like to see the entry speeds going to each of those corners.

Keefe

Hello,

Just an FYI, GOTO ran at Phoenix for the Grand Am Cup ST race this Saturday and it was quite the exciting weekend. The race is being televised today at 10AM, I believe, on Speed, and I think the Legacy will be visible on camera...

Joel

Hello,

Just an FYI, GOTO ran at Phoenix for the Grand Am Cup ST race this Saturday and it was quite the exciting weekend. The race is being televised today at 10AM, I believe, on Speed, and I think the Legacy will be visible on camera...

Joel

Per Speed's online schedule, that's 1:00 PM EDT, 10:00 AM PDT.

Ron

Hello,

Joel

Yesss! I was just watching it. I stopped once they hit 3rd place. Not sure if they beat those two RSXs. Great job on moving up so many places!!!

Also, I didn't know NOB and Tarzan aka Taniguchi and Yamada were doing this race. I guess they were hired since they were already there for GT Live. Nice!

-ben

Grea job guys Looks like your one pit stop & driver change took a little while, but both Chris and Brian seem to be great drivers and always adavance several places on their racing stints!!!

Yesss! I was just watching it. I stopped once they hit 3rd place. Not sure if they beat those two RSXs. Great job on moving up so many places!!!

Also, I didn't know NOB and Tarzan aka Taniguchi and Yamada were doing this race. I guess they were hired since they were already there for GT Live. Nice!

uummm 3rd place? are you sure?. It looked like they finished 11th out of 28. I was starting to get bummed with the coverage, then finally I started to catch glimpses of the Leggy once Chris rolled into 11th place. Till then though I didn't catch one glimpse of him :icon_mad:

Chris, how off did the power feel due to the heat compared to Laguna Seca?

Ya, they were at third place when I stopped watching. They were behind by around 9 seconds. I'm not sure when it was during the race, though. I stopped watching around 10:30PDT. They mentioned that the crew said the only problems the car was running into was overheating.
-ben

They were as high as third place. The car got a few minutes of coverage in the early laps. On the pit stop, I think it looked like they had problems with the right front wheel. It's also a disadvantage that most of the other teams are only changing out two wheels instead of four in the pits. They moved up at least three places after that though. I guess we'll wait to hear from Chris and Brian.

http://www.tigersunited.com/articles/MontereyHistoric/laguna-seca-track.jpg

Chris or Brian,

I was looking over the track map for Laguna Seca, and I was wondering if you had any issues with the inside front tire spinning in the tight Andretti hairpin (turn 2)? I know you said you're running a stock 4.11 trans and I'm wondering how the open front diff has affected the handling of the car in tight corners.

Thanks! :)

P.S. What kinda lap times were you guys turning?

We do not have any wheel spin problems because we use KAAZ LSD's front and rear. We used to get fron wheel spin pretty bad before we put them in. Now you can just stand on the gas and rear end rotates beautifully.

My best lap during the race was a 1:43.5.

Archived