LegacyGT.com

over advancing

I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 I'm have problems with timing over advancing on bank A & B, I tried everything to solve the problem. If anyone out there could give me any guidance on how to solve this problem. I would really appriciate it

When you say over advancing... Do you mean you're getting codes p0011 and p0021?

Those codes can be fairly serious. Search the forums for those. Specifically in the sections that aren't the photo section. If that's what you have, there's a number of different directions it can go. Do some research to the point where you can describe more about your situation. 

15 hours ago, J.Douglas said:

yes those are the codes

brutal

22 hours ago, seanyb505 said:

When you say over advancing... Do you mean you're getting codes p0011 and p0021?

Those codes can be fairly serious. Search the forums for those. Specifically in the sections that aren't the photo section. If that's what you have, there's a number of different directions it can go. Do some research to the point where you can describe more about your situation. 

from as easy as an oil change, to replacing your longblock. I timed, and timed, and retimed, and someone else retimed an FB20 to make sure i was doing it right, in addition to replacing both intake cam barrels, and was not able to shake the p0011 and 21 codes... longblock fixed it.

I'm no pro builder, but I've typically switched to regular detergent oil around 500 miles. The codes stem from some oil pressure irregularity. If I understand correctly, not enough to sufficiently manage the cam timing. I wonder if the nd30 oil is no longer providing the thickness needed?

Again this could be a number of different solutions. What's the condition of your oil control valve solenoids? New or used? Oem or aftermarket? Also think about if there's anything within the oiling system that could be contaminated from prior to the rebuild. 

Why was the engine rebuilt? New turbo?How deeply were the heads reconditioned? Any other new parts?

Edited by seanyb505

21 minutes ago, J.Douglas said:

one of the exhausted valve had a hole in it.  So I decided to go through the whole engine.  Timing sprockets are new and the oil solenoid not after  market

You posted this in the wrong forum. 

See the 4th Gen forum or the Tech forums for engine rebuilds.  

https://www.legacygt.com/forum/4-technical-forums/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

17 hours ago, J.Douglas said:

one of the exhausted valve had a hole in it.  So I decided to go through the whole engine.  Timing sprockets are new and the oil solenoid not after  market

Just asking how many ej motors have you done? But this smells like new motor city to me

Check oil pressure.  It is not difficult to block an internal oil passage (heads) during assembly if you are not familiar and careful.  It is also not difficult to incorrectly install the AVCS cam sprocket/pulleys if not familiar and careful.

If the oil control valves open and close with a 12v signal (pins are interchangeable between power and ground) and you have low oil pressure the issue is most likely internal or the pulley.  The pulley must "fall" onto the cam.  There is a dowel pin for alignment.  If any real pressure is applied and the dowel pin is not properly aligned the sprocket/pulley will mount to the cam.  But it will not operate properly.  The sprocket/pulley and the cam shaft end will most likely be damaged.  I have seen Professional shops specializing in Subaru motors make this error.  Found one on a race car while performing break in and tuning on my dyno.  I did not build the engine.   A few pix for reference.  You can see the "female" hole for the cam dowel and it is no longer round from being forced on to the cam. 

23467003_1775892625796587_2500792607872727385_o.jpg

24291586_1803358213050028_4230439546893201560_o.jpg

25188804_1814640858588430_7881723413685523114_o.jpg

24959017_1814640898588426_2824277068011406143_o.jpg

Edited by m sprank